Updated Pink & Purple Ink Comparisons

Tessy Moon

Hello Inky Friends!

It has been quite awhile since I shared my comparisons of pink and purple inks here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/274481-pink-purple-ink-comparisons/

I have updated the list with a few new inks (mostly samples, but a few are bottles as well.)

Again I will say that this is not an absolute accurate depiction of every ink. Rather it is intended as more of a guide as to where certain inks fall next to each other when compared with similar ink colors.

All samples were written with a glass dip pen on Clairefontaine paper.

I hope that this is useful and helpful!

Pink Inks

22f48049b4fd100bb51f1da3cb481a61.jpg

Pink & Purple Inks

0ac5edd46a074822d87f958e23b4da47.jpg

Purple Inks

af6c3de6e647630eb55c65af26299f94.jpg

Dark Purple Inks

f1a46732512770c147eca5fcc71c381e.jpg

Edited by Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tessy Moon

• amberleadavis

• Azure Flash

• Pensei

Here is a list of the inks compared:

PINK INKS

Diamine Amaranth

De Atramentis Apple Blossom

J Herbin Bouquet D'antan

Private Reserve Bubblegum

Diamine Carnation

Diamine Deep Magenta

Caran d'Ache Divine Pink

De Atramentis Heather Violet

Diamine Hope Pink

Pilot Iroshizuku Kosumosu

J Herbin Larmes de Cassis

Organics Studio Lewis Carrol

Mont Blanc Pink

Monteverde Pink

Sailor Jentle Peche

Private Reserve Rose Rage

J Herbin Rose Tendresse

J Herbin Rouge Bourgogne

J Herbin Rouille D'ancre

Noodler's Shah's Rose

Private Reserve Shell Pink

Pilot Iroshizuku Tsutsuji

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

PINK & PURPLE INKS

Diamine Bougainvillea

Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel

De Atramentis Dianthus

Organics Studio Emily Dickinson

De Atramentis Fuchsia

Private Reserve Plum

J Herbin Rose Cyclamen

De Atramentis Apple Blossom

Private Reserve Arabian Rose

Diamine Claret

De Atramentis Heather Violet

Organics Studio Jane Austen

J Herbin Larmes de Cassis

Monteverde Purple

Seitz-Kreuznach Dark Orchid

Private Reserve Purple Haze

J Herbin Rose Tendresse

Platinum Mix Free Silky Purple

Noodler's Socrates

Noodler's Tchaikovsky

Organic Studio Vanadium (I think this bottle has gone bad. It used to be like Violette Pensee.)

J Herbin Violette Pensee

Tessy Moon

PURPLE INKS

Diamine Iris

Diamine Lavender

De Atramentis Magenta Violet

Diamine Majestic Purple

Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu

Nostalgic Impressions Purple Ink (in the apothecary bottle)

Waterman Purple

Visconti Purple

Private Reserve Purple Mojo

Rohrer & Klinger Solferino

L'Artisan Pastellier Violet

Pelikan Violet

Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst

De Atramentis Blackberry

De Atramentis Blackcurrant

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses #2 (purple)

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses #3 (magenta)

Mont Blanc Lavender Purple

Organics Studio Lithium

Rohrer & Klinger Magenta

J Herbin Pouissere de Lune

Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Budo

Edited by Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

DARK PURPLE INKS

De Atramentis Alexander Hamilton

De Atramentis Aubergine

Diamine Handel

Scribal Workshop Nessie

Diamine Pansy

De Atramentis Pearl Violet

Rohrer & Klinger Scabiosa

Caran d'Ache Ultra Violet

Rohrer & Klinger Alt-Bordeaux

Montegrappa Bordeaux

Noodler's Burgundy

Private Reserve Burgundy Mist

De Atramentis Elderberries

L'Artisan Pastellier Grenat

Noodler's Purple Heart

De Atramentis Thomas Alva Edison

Diamine Tyrian Purple

Tessy Moon

Thank you for your continued hard work keeping us alert to the Pinks & Purples. I have a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein's Turmaline on it's way & am anguished by Anderson Pen's announcement of a new PURPLE from Stipula. I just received a bottle of their Stipula Sienna last week & now THIS! The Stipula inks are beautifully behaved & the three colors I have are favorites, surely this purple would be as well? You should take a look @ the swab on their site.

Thank you for your continued hard work keeping us alert to the Pinks & Purples. I have a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein's Turmaline on it's way & am anguished by Anderson Pen's announcement of a new PURPLE from Stipula. I just received a bottle of their Stipula Sienna last week & now THIS! The Stipula inks are beautifully behaved & the three colors I have are favorites, surely this purple would be as well? You should take a look @ the swab on their site.

Thank you for your comment and kind words!! :)

I tried Turmaline once but it wasn't what I wanted; too orange leaning for my tastes, but I know lots of people love it.

That Stipula Purple is pretty! I have never tried any Stipula inks actually, one of few brands I haven't at least sampled. I also have not tried any Akkerman inks. I am afraid of falling in love with one then having to have it, but they are a bit pricey to get here in the states (Same with the Bung Box. I love L'Amant but it doesn't financially make sense). And I also read Akkerman is just re-bottled Diamine inks, but I do not know if this is true or not. I am sure there might be another obscure brand or two I haven't tried, but most of the popular brands I have at least dabbled with one or two (in the pink and purple range usually!) ;)

Edited by Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

Another great comparison and although 'pink' is not a colour group I'd ever entertain, I do have a number of purple/violet inks and a few are in the frequent rotation. Well done!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Excellent collection. Please gimmee a day or two until I comb my way through them....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Another great comparison and although 'pink' is not a colour group I'd ever entertain, I do have a number of purple/violet inks and a few are in the frequent rotation. Well done!

Pink is certainly a color of division! Some love, some hate, some tolerate. ;)

I think a well made purple, particularly a dark purple color, can be appropriate for just about anyone at some point. Mont Blanc Lavender Purple jumps to my mind. A very mature, elegant, subdued ink, yet with so many excellent qualities.

Tessy Moon

Excellent collection. Please gimmee a day or two until I comb my way through them....

Mike

Thank you Mike! It has taken a while to build up this collection, mostly of samples. I am grateful to all the people who have graciously gifted and/or traded ink samples with me, it really makes testing inks easier; especially for the "hard to find" inks!

Tessy Moon

ThI also have not tried any Akkerman inks. I am afraid of falling in love with one then having to have it, but they are a bit pricey to get here in the states (Same with the Bung Box. I love L'Amant but it doesn't financially make sense).

I guess I shouldn't mention that Vanness carries Akkerman inks so they are actually easily available even here in the States now. :-)

Thanks Tessy

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I guess I shouldn't mention that Vanness carries Akkerman inks so they are actually easily available even here in the States now. :-)

Oh no! An Enabler!I I should've known someone would say something! This place is crawling with Enablers! (Including myself.....) LOL!! ;)

{leaves to go sneak a look at the Vanness website...}

Tessy Moon

Thanks Tessy

Thank you for all the beautiful work you do Amber! You always inspire me!!! ♥

Tessy Moon

A lovely resource for pinks and purples. Thank you for the work that went into putting this together.

Thank you for the kind words!! I hope it is useful! :)

Tessy Moon

Thanks for a great summary. Of all these, which would you, or other readers, choose for a letter to your Valentine?

It would depend on the recipient. For my husband I would probably use more of a rose red, like Noodler's Ottoman Rose. (I have that one but didn't include it here because it is not really pink, although I think it does have pink undertones.) I think a rose scented ink would be nice too, but I don't have any of those (yet).

However, if my husband were to write a love letter to me, I would want him to use a pink-rose like Rouge Bourgogne or Lewis Carroll. But I don't think my husband is the type to use pink ink, lol. I could see him using a nice purple though, like Mont Blanc Lavender Purple or Poussiere de Lune.

If it were 12 years ago when we first were married, I would've preferred a sweet pink ink like Rose Tendresse or Bouquet D'Anatan, on the right paper of course, like G Lalo Rose or Lavender.

Again it really depends on the recipient. Those are just the ones I would choose. But if you know what your sweetheart likes, and where the relationship is at, that knowledge can help you make a good decision. (Don't overlook paper choice! Paper communicates A LOT!) ;)

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Tessy Moon