The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hero Haifu 186- Any One Might Tell Me How Is The Pen ?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 sanyalsoumitra

sanyalsoumitra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2016 - 19:56

Ordered one pen rather impulsively. Will have to wait sometime till it arrives. Meanwhile please can any one tell me about this pen?

Link : http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Sponsored Content

#2 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:13

It's meant to be a higher-grade pen made by Hero, using the old name of the company Huafu.

Huafu was actually a back-translation of 華孚 which was originally Wolff: with the Chinese name to work from they just rendered it phonetically using the Pinyin method.

A very similar pen bears the Guanleming (AKA William K Rockman) brand. I have not used either but have heard good reviews; as usual, YMMV.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

#3 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:58

So what's the verdict on this pen??

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#4 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:32

So what's the verdict on this pen??

Somewhat light in weight, mould parting lines down the section but can be dealt with easily within minutes. Squeeze type converter can be replaced by a new one with Hero standard 2.6mm socket, and nib offering some flex capability.

Best of all, it's a steel homage to the style of celluloid pens from ye olde days.

#5 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:13

Overall a nice pen to have ; certainly not many such styled pen were made with a solid steel body no less also a C/C filling. Late 90's production. Somewhat sized to the old 26 size pen but length is more like a 28. Had 3 variant all write with a decent bit of cushioning and slight flex. FM more towards M on mine but I am aware of some in true Fine.

#6 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:14

Somewhat light in weight, mould parting lines down the section but can be dealt with easily within minutes. Squeeze type converter can be replaced by a new one with Hero standard 2.6mm socket, and nib offering some flex capability.

Best of all, it's a steel homage to the style of celluloid pens from ye olde days.

Thanks, Seele! It's a handsome looking pen going for a mere 25RMB on Taobao, so I thought it would be worth looking in to. Does the squeeze converter remove easily by just pulling? I really hate those Hero squeeze converters.

#7 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:26

Thanks, Seele! It's a handsome looking pen going for a mere 25RMB on Taobao, so I thought it would be worth looking in to. Does the squeeze converter remove easily by just pulling? I really hate those Hero squeeze converters.

The converter pulls right out and can be easily replaced; I put in a slide-type one that resembles the Parker design and it works well.

Regarding the mould parting lines: I used a blade to scrape them off flat, and then with a nail buffer, I got it polished back up so nothing shows at all now; a five-minute job.

#8 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:03

Overall a nice pen to have ; certainly not many such styled pen were made with a solid steel body no less also a C/C filling. Late 90's production. Somewhat sized to the old 26 size pen but length is more like a 28. Had 3 variant all write with a decent bit of cushioning and slight flex. FM more towards M on mine but I am aware of some in true Fine.

Sorry, Mech-for-i, I just noticed your post in response. Thanks for the information about the nib writing width. I'm always looking for nice wet writers so this may be another potential purchase. I gave up on Hero pens a few years ago after something like five lemons in a row, but they are the most famous FP maker in China so I'm hoping I can at least have one good one on my collection.

#9 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:26

I think the very problem with Hero is that they pretty much trash their own reputation with their lower priced / school / workplace pens and of course no less because of the rampant 616 issue ( part of them due to actual dated design , part material but certainly part because of the low price induced by too many fakes, and thus lower QC standard ) .. that stated Hero's mid priced ( or should I say up market ) offering in the say more than 20RMB up to 100RMB price range tend to give sterling service while keeping cost in check. Even though I like their pens, I would be the first one to admit their low end offering is best to be avoided ( vintage is another story . that depend more on individual and specific models )

#10 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:09

How does this pen's weight and balance compare to other metal pens like those offered by Jinhao? I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but I don't want anymore heavy pens. For me, the Jinhao 165 or 911 weight is perfect as a metal pen. The Jinhao 500 ends up feeling perfect due to excellent balance.

#11 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:37

How does this pen's weight and balance compare to other metal pens like those offered by Jinhao? I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but I don't want anymore heavy pens. For me, the Jinhao 165 or 911 weight is perfect as a metal pen. The Jinhao 500 ends up feeling perfect due to excellent balance.

It is surprisingly light, I do not have metal Jinhaos so I cannot say but it's only a little weightier than comparable plastics pens.

#12 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:39

Thanks, one is now in the mail. :D 

With a roll of the eyes, my wife graciously granted me a one-time suspension of my moratorium on pen purchases for the rest of 2017 in celebration of my reaching a major landmark in my Chinese studies today.

#13 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 18:22

Thanks, one is now in the mail. :D

With a roll of the eyes, my wife graciously granted me a one-time suspension of my moratorium on pen purchases for the rest of 2017 in celebration of my reaching a major landmark in my Chinese studies today.

so what might that major landmark be ... just curious

#14 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

Education is important...But fountain pens are importanter

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 20:05

With a roll of the eyes, my wife graciously granted me a one-time suspension of my moratorium on pen purchases for the rest of 2017.

Only 3 or so weeks to go then.
AND THEN YOU CAN GO MENTAL :D

Ian

It’s a well kent fact that Scotland (The Land Of The Rising Water) has the most beautiful, picturesque, colourful, history laden landscape in the world.

It’s just a shame that you can only look at it through a rain soaked car window.

Every cloud though,  If there was no rain, there’d be no RAINBOWS.

My top tip:-

If you are walking the dog through mountain bike country.....don't wear headphones.

#15 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 22:55

Edit

Edited by ian1964, 10 December 2017 - 02:16.

#16 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 23:40

so what might that major landmark be ... just curious

I was able to conduct an hour and a half meeting entirely in Chinese.
Of course it was mostly scripted and I had to rely on pinyin for a few characters, but the fact that I could say that much in Chinese after only studying part-time after work for about 2 years made it a huge feat for me.

#17 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 23:53

Wow! This is the type of pen that gives the Chinese pen industry a bad reputation because this is so much like a Sheaffer pen. Very Prelude like.with a Sheaffer "No-Nonsense" clip.

Aye?
I wouldn't have known that.. Genuinely.
I have no interest in Sheaffers, and know very little about them other than I like the look of their inlaid and Triumph nibs, but not enough to buy one.
The attraction with the 186, for me, is the flex nib, and the screw on cap, but curiosity got the better of me and while typing this, I googled up some balance pics to see the "look-a-likey" and I'll be honest, I thought I'd googled the wrong pen.
It looks nothing like it.

The Huafu has flattish ends with a jewel in the cap, and the balance is rocket shaped with pointy ends (which I dont care for in a pen) and I couldn't find anything "all metal", Or am I looking at completely the wrong pen? :D

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock, 09 December 2017 - 23:56.

It’s a well kent fact that Scotland (The Land Of The Rising Water) has the most beautiful, picturesque, colourful, history laden landscape in the world.

It’s just a shame that you can only look at it through a rain soaked car window.

If you are walking the dog through mountain bike country.....don't wear headphones.

#18 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 00:06

Ive just realised I was :D
You were talking about the Prelude, and the Balance clip :D :D

I don't think it particularly looks like the Prelude either, and a bit of digging found that the Prelude was possibly released after the Huafu.

Hmmmm... More digging required.

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock, 10 December 2017 - 01:09.

#19 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 00:52

I wouldn't be surprised if it writes better than a Prelude.

#20 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:13

I wouldn't be surprised if it writes better than a Prelude.

With a flexy nib, it's a sure fire certainty, I'd imagine.

I'm certainly not put off by any perceived Sheaffer comparisons, and can't wait for mine to drop onto the mat. :)

Ian

Sponsored Content

|