The Platinum #3776 Century Review (Bourgogne)

sannidh

Nice review. Your comments on the depth and intensity of the colour are spot on. My other coloured demonstrators (eg the Pelikan M200 blue) look pale and dingy compared to my Chartres and Bourgogne.

Like several other contributors I found some of the 3776 nibs can be a bit too scratchy out of the box and the micromesh and brown paper bag have been used on most of mine. I've also found a couple of the 3776s in my possession wrote a little too dry for my taste - however I should say I got them second hand, so that may be down to previous owners' use/tastes.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• jar

• sakshi__reddy

• Anders23

Nice! I have the solid black version of this pen in a few nib widths. My fav by far is the cosu and the music, but I enjoy the F and B as well. Very reliable pens. All the best, Hari

Thanks Hari

GREAT review, soniknitr!!! :)

My 3776 arrived last week.....mine came with the EF nib.....

Haven't had time to ink it up......looking forward to spending some time this weekend testing it out with Sailor Nano Black (kiwa-guru)....

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Thank you :) Japanese EFs :notworthy1:

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

Nice review. Your comments on the depth and intensity of the colour are spot on. My other coloured demonstrators (eg the Pelikan M200 blue) look pale and dingy compared to my Chartres and Bourgogne.

Like several other contributors I found some of the 3776 nibs can be a bit too scratchy out of the box and the micromesh and brown paper bag have been used on most of mine. I've also found a couple of the 3776s in my possession wrote a little too dry for my taste - however I should say I got them second hand, so that may be down to previous owners' use/tastes.

Share the same feeling on depth/intensity of blue & red colours these pens. I feel the quality (resistance to scratch) of pelikan demos are better.but the #3776 series is a good VFM option, provided the nib issues are settled at home with some micro-mesh or brown paper bag like you did..

Thank you amk :)

Nothing to ask.. Review covers it all.. Also i will be buying the same in music nib.. Will be sharing my review of the that...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Nothing to ask.. Review covers it all.. Also i will be buying the same in music nib.. Will be sharing my review of the that...

Thanks Vaibhav..Awaiting your musical review of the same :rolleyes:

This is my favorite pen to look at. It's like looking out a window; there's just so much to see. I enjoy using it just as much.

Truly said, Karen :)

Great review and beautiful pictures.

The pens are more beautiful in your hand than in pictures.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Nice review. I have been eyeing this pen for about a year. Then a week ago I pulled the trigger on a bourgogne version with a B nib. A year ago a Pelikan M200 Cognac in fine was the winner. Thought I would try something a little different this time around.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hi, great review. I'm planning on picking up a 3776 in Chartres Blue *drooooool*

Just a quick question: What notebooks would you recommend that are readily available in North India and fountain pen friendly? I'm currently using Neelgagan for daily writing and notes, but the blue-ish tint to the paper is very annoying.

Edited by sakshi__reddy

Hi, great review. I'm planning on picking up a 3776 in Chartres Blue *drooooool*

Just a quick question: What notebooks would you recommend that are readily available in North India and fountain pen friendly? I'm currently using Neelgagan for daily writing and notes, but the blue-ish tint to the paper is very annoying.

First, welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. I have a Chartres Blues with a luscious music nib but can't help with the paper issue. Keep us posted though.

Nice review. I have been eyeing this pen for about a year. Then a week ago I pulled the trigger on a bourgogne version with a B nib. A year ago a Pelikan M200 Cognac in fine was the winner. Thought I would try something a little different this time around.

Wish you the best of times with the #3776, though I love both of them (cognac/3776)

And thank you Brad :)

All the best! Since some local brands here are quite inconsistent in quality (I have often found a rubberband, nightingale notebook range from fine/non-bleeding to grainy/bleeding with good inks), you can get some notebooks made (spiral bound) from JK cedar paper.

Thank you :)

Edited by sannidh

Great review of a great pen! I picked up the same pen with a broad nib and it wrote great right out of the box. Tines appear slightly out of alignment but nothing a bit of pressure couldn't fix. Really in love with the color of the dark red that shows differently based on lighting.

All the best! Since some local brands here are quite inconsistent in quality (I have often found a rubberband, nightingale notebook range from fine/non-bleeding to grainy/bleeding with good inks), you can get some notebooks made (spiral bound) from JK cedar paper.

Thanks so much! I'l get myself a ream of the 100 gsm cedar :)

Wish you the best of times with the #3776, though I love both of them (cognac/3776)

And thank you Brad :)

Ah yes, my M200 Cognac is a daily user most days. My 3776 arrived yesterday (12/1) and got virtually all of the use today. I could easily see this jumping into my top 3-5 pens in terms of use.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Is there any way I could see an UEF nib in action? I really wanted to see how a full page of writing with the nib looks. I wanted a unique nib width and I really love how fine Sakura's micron .005 is. But if it the nib isn't practical as a daily-ish user, I'll skip it and go for F instead... help and addvice much appreciated!

Hello everyone! Is there any way I could see an UEF nib in action? I really wanted to see how a full page of writing with the nib looks. I wanted a unique nib width and I really love how fine Sakura's micron .005 is. But if it the nib isn't practical as a daily-ish user, I'll skip it and go for F instead... help and addvice much appreciated!

Drawing any sort of comparison between an ultra-fine gold fountain pen nib and the fiber point on something like the Sakura Pigma Micro is out of the question in my opinion. They are entirely different writing instruments.

I have a 3776C with an SF nib, not UEF. It is essentially a very fine nail. It works with decent 80g/sm virgin office bond, but it's rather scratchy. I imagine an UEF Platinum nib would require special paper to provide any sort of usable service; perhaps a paper that's filled and polished like Clairfontaine. The UEF nib might be acceptable if you are doing fine line drawings on a known media.

Unless you are willing to restrict yourself to certain types of paper, I would steer clear of the 3776C UEF nib for general purpose use. The 3776C F nib provides more options, but is still quite fine. I have a different 3776C with an M nib that's much more serviceable. It's like a western fine nib. Remember, Japanese nib sizes are one to two sizes finer than western nibs.