The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parts Question: Best Way To Source Caps?

parts caps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rodney126

Rodney126

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:08

I have some pens without caps. I wasn't hungry it was how they came in the grab bag.

But now I'm left with what looks like a decent red transitional Estie and black J Estie without caps.

I've looked on EBay but I don't want to buy a whole pen just for the cap; I'd just repair the pen WHICH STILL LEAVES ME IN NEED OF A CAP! (and sounding like a pirate) ARGH!

Naked Esties.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:14

Sometimes, I see, on Ebay, a seller offering an Esterbrook cap.  However, more often, I see the offer of an "AS IS" Esterbrook , that doesn't work, or is damaged.  This is a good source for "donor" parts.  

Sometimes, it seem more expensive, but keep in mind that the parts, you do not use, can sold to others, recovering some of the cost.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 10,209 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:01

Where in California are your capless pens located. I know a guy with a huge box of Esterbrooks.

Noteworthy is that a cap may end up costing you as much as a whole unrestored pen.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:22

Just to add to Farmboy's comment.  The general rule in vintage pens is that "the one that has the cap wins". 

2020 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 10,209 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:29

Just to add to Farmboy's comment.  The general rule in vintage pens is that "the one that has the cap wins". 

Is it true I once paid 3 figures for a cap?

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#6 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:07

Is it true I once paid 3 figures for a cap?

I thought it was 4 figures.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 10,209 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:19

I thought it was 4 figures.

Don't tell him, he doesn't need to know what he did.

#8 Rodney126

Rodney126

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:22

I'm in Paso Robles, about 4 hours south of SFO on the 101.

Interesting thing about caps being as much as whole pens because I have 4 random caps that I was going to start a game of guess the pen with. Although the Venus cap works well on my black J Estie (one I'm missing a cap for). Then it occurred to me that I'm not sure what pen goes with what each cap. Oh well.

Because I think every Topic should have a picture, here are the pictures of my caps...just because.

FarmBoy: if your friend is part of the network, he can private message me if he wants to part with some good caps/pens.

4 Caps_3.jpg

(l to r: Venus, Weaver, Pacific (with a P encircled with two branches of something), Federal (with USA horizontally across the top of the clip-small))

4 Caps_2.jpg

4 Caps_1.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parts, caps

Sponsored Content

|