Uh Oh ... Hemingway With Cracked Cap - Need Repair Options

Ed44

Hi folks,

I was wiping off the cap on my Hemingway and I noticed the polishing cloth kept catching on something. I got out the loupe and sure enough - it had a crack in the cap. From the photos, it looks like maybe the crack isn't all the way through, so maybe there's some hope. I'm pretty sure Montblanc exhausted their supply of spare caps many years ago so my only other option is to get it repaired. Does anyone have any experience repairing Hemingway caps or who could suggest someone who could?

Thanks,

Ed

post-8079-0-13710300-1454981441_thumb.jpg

post-8079-0-54371300-1454981472_thumb.jpg

post-8079-0-88527000-1454981739_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jpierson

• zaddick

• Ed44

• KAC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question: Do you post the cap?

I did similar damage to the cap of my Heritage 1912 posting the cap.

I would ask Montblanc Service. Maybe they have a spare cap kicking around somewhere. Try the good people in Hamburg perhaps rather than the US service centre.

Two other options that come to mind are Francis Goosens (fountainbel) and Max Schrage (maxpens). Their forum member names are in brackets. They can work magic. I have seen it with mine own eyes.

Edited by meiers

Hello meiers,

You know, I usually never post the cap on any of my pens for that very reason. I do recall lightly posting it and a 149 a few weeks ago to compare some nib work. A big mistake I'll not repeat.

I believe the US service center sends all LE pens to Germany, but it's worth trying. How do I contact the folks in Hamburg? I'll see if I can get to their website and find their e-mail. Max Shrage has done some excellent work for me in the past so I'll likely go with him unless Hamburg comes through. Thanks much for your suggestions.

Ed44

I'd contact Francis too. He is likely cheaper and faster. Since this is not an especially rare or brittle pen I think he is an option worth investigating.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I cannot think of anyone who has greater expertise working with such material than Brad Torelli in Madison, Connecticut.

Fred

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The LA Pen Show is this weekend so I'll have to recover from that before I start on the Hemingway.

Ed44

If the crack is so minute that it's only visible with a magnifier, perhaps you ought to leave it be. The metal ring will prevent it from further extending and, if you take care, it probably will be stable.

If the crack is so minute that it's only visible with a magnifier, perhaps you ought to leave it be. The metal ring will prevent it from further extending and, if you take care, it probably will be stable.

Good idea. It's almost impossible to see with the naked eye and even with 5x magnification, it doesn't look like the crack is all the way through. I need to get a better inspection light and magnifier. If the crack is accessible from inside the cap, I was thinking of putting a small drop of Acetone on it and let it wick up into the crack. That would probably stabilize it really well. I'm going to bring it with me to the LA Pen Show and see if one of the pen-repair-meisters can help.

When I had a similar issue with my Hemingway, I took it into my local boutique. They forwarded it over to Germany and in the space of 2 months the damaged part was replaced and the pen was back in my hands. Very pleased with the results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just received another Hemingway and the seller did not disclose a few hairline cracks in the cap that are similar to the above photo. He claimed that he did not see them and possibly they occurred in shipping. He did issue a partial refund as I want to try and get it repaired.

I sent emails to MB and Zorn yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back from both.

Any update to your pen?

Maj, how long ago was your repair completed?

Thanks!

Update: Sent my pen to Brad Torelli this morning. He has a special process for working on MB resin. Can't wait to see the result.

Edited by jpierson

I just received another Hemingway and the seller did not disclose a few hairline cracks in the cap that are similar to the above photo. He claimed that he did not see them and possibly they occurred in shipping. He did issue a partial refund as I want to try and get it repaired.

I sent emails to MB and Zorn yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back from both.

Any update to your pen?

Maj, how long ago was your repair completed?

Thanks!

Update: Sent my pen to Brad Torelli this morning. He has a special process for working on MB resin. Can't wait to see the result.

Brad Torelli is a master craftsman. He has worked wonders with several of my pens. I can't say enough good things about Brad.

"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."

-Artemus Ward

Brad is great. I had talked to him about my Hemingway cap. The brown resin is a bit of a challenge compared to the black. He can make a whole pen out of the black resin, but the brown is more of a challenge. I am curious to see the results.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

"It happened during shipping" doesn't sound like a credible excuse.

Yea that's what I said, hence the partial refund.

Brad is great. I had talked to him about my Hemingway cap. The brown resin is a bit of a challenge compared to the black. He can make a whole pen out of the black resin, but the brown is more of a challenge. I am curious to see the results.

I will post updates. He said that the turn around should just be a couple weeks. I'm having him do a full service of the piston also while he has it.

He sent me a few photos of a 139 he built. It is absolutely amazing!

Edited by jpierson

I cannot think of anyone who has greater expertise working with such material than Brad Torelli in Madison, Connecticut.

Fred

Can you please post his contact information here?

Thanks!

KAC