Usps First Class International

Cryptos

International first class mail does not track padded envelopes: For a single pen, I use a padded envelope and I put protection around the pen. I have had mail sent first class disappear more than once. Even when trackable, the tracking often stops as soon as the envelope leaves the US. I much prefer priority mail, but if the customer wants me to ship by first class, I'll do it. However, if the envelope is lost, I don't feel that I am responsible.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tryphon

• Chrissy

• Cryptos

• Mew

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with EOC: the global shipping programme is a bad joke. I've given up on buying from ebay sellers who are using that after a book I'd been after for a long while seems to have been shipped over here, then straight back where it came from without the courier even deigning to put a "while you were out" card through my door.

My response to giving a set up that works that way another chance rhymes with "duck bat"...

International first class mail does not track padded envelopes: For a single pen, I use a padded envelope and I put protection around the pen. I have had mail sent first class disappear more than once. Even when trackable, the tracking often stops as soon as the envelope leaves the US. I much prefer priority mail, but if the customer wants me to ship by first class, I'll do it. However, if the envelope is lost, I don't feel that I am responsible.

Why not simply use the appropriate boxes for USPS FCI? The difference in cost for the packaging is probably significantly less than the difference in shipping costs. A box costs EoC NZ $1.50, that's about one buck in the US, yes?

As for the tracking, please note that USPS does only offer this to a select group of countries. If your buyer's country is not on the list then choosing a different shipping method is prudent. If it is on the list and ends up not being tracked then you, as the seller, are fully covered by USPS' own insurance policy and practice for lost packages. There's no need for you to feel responsible for errors made by USPS, and as noted you will be covered.

Edit: what is a bit baffling is why it takes an overseas buyer to find this stuff out, and why this information isn't offered upfront for all US-based eBay sellers.

I have received many ink samples sent by 1st Class International from the US in bubble mailers, and the senders have always been able to track them and say exactly where they were.

I have received many ink samples sent by 1st Class International from the US in bubble mailers, and the senders have always been able to track them and say exactly where they were.

I guess it depends on where you are.

In punta di penna.....

I just went to the postal rate calculator and entered the following data:

destination : Germany (from the US)

Item value: $250

weight: 250 grams

these are the results:

International priority mail (small flat rate box): $ 33.95

International First Class Mail (box): $ 22.50

In truth, if I were buying a $250 pen from overseas, I would pay the $11 difference and go for priority mail.

To each his/her own, of course.

Edited by tryphon

In punta di penna.....

these are the results:

In truth, if I were buying a $250 pen from overseas, I would pay the $11 difference and go for priority mail.

And if I were selling a $200.00 pen I would want the added assures found with Priority Mail as well. If the buyer was not willing to go that route then I would have serious concerns dealing with them.

My Website

these are the results:

I checked the calculator myself, using UK as the destination, and the Priority Small Flat Rate Box fee of $33.95 only applies, apparently, if you ship in USPS-produced boxes. I'd be happy for sellers to do that, but most (like you) seem to prefer their own padded bags, and the International Priority rate for that is $48.50 for 250g, more than twice the price of International First Class (and often more than the cost of the pen itself).

By the way, USPS tracking numbers (including those for International First Class) should work on the websites of postal services in the receiving countries. If you're sending to the UK, for example, you can get detailed tracking up to point of delivery at www.royalmail.com

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

I've mailed 5 or 6 pens/ink using USPS 1st class International and was able to track them to their destination. Australia, the UK, Finland, Curaçao and somewhere else I can't remember. That's for a package, though, not an envelope.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I checked the calculator myself, using UK as the destination, and the Priority Small Flat Rate Box fee of $33.95 only applies, apparently, if you ship in USPS-produced boxes. I'd be happy for sellers to do that, but most (like you) seem to prefer their own padded bags, and the International Priority rate for that is $48.50 for 250g, more than twice the price of International First Class (and often more than the cost of the pen itself).

By the way, USPS tracking numbers (including those for International First Class) should work on the websites of postal services in the receiving countries. If you're sending to the UK, for example, you can get detailed tracking up to point of delivery at www.royalmail.com

Indeed. This is what EoC finds too, having watched with interest - via the web - the perambulations of a number of packages from the US all the way to the door here.

Having said this though, I do agree with some of the sentiments regarding higher priced items. Beyond a certain threshold the shipping cost becomes a less significant proportion of the item cost, and at that point EoC would seriously look at more highly insured options.

I use the USPS boxes: they are convenient and they are free. The USPS will even deliver them to your address. I only used padded bags when I ship by First Class mail, because the rates are more reasonable than those for boxes. Respectfully, your comparison is flawed. Why would anyone use their own boxes and pay through the nose when the USPS FLAT RATE boxes are more convenient and with the flat rate, the weight of the box does not matter?

In punta di penna.....

What is also curious is that USPS calculator says a small box costs about $22 and yet most of the packages that arrive here (New Zealand) actually cost around $15. Haven't quite figured that out yet.

Edit: what is a bit baffling is why it takes an overseas buyer to find this stuff out, and why this information isn't offered upfront for all US-based eBay sellers.

Who else would have an incentive to point it out?

Peyton Street, incidentally, clearly lays out the pros and cons of different international shipping options. http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/store-policies/

Why not simply use the appropriate boxes for USPS FCI? The difference in cost for the packaging is probably significantly less than the difference in shipping costs. A box costs EoC NZ $1.50, that's about one buck in the US, yes?

As for the tracking, please note that USPS does only offer this to a select group of countries. If your buyer's country is not on the list then choosing a different shipping method is prudent. If it is on the list and ends up not being tracked then you, as the seller, are fully covered by USPS' own insurance policy and practice for lost packages. There's no need for you to feel responsible for errors made by USPS, and as noted you will be covered.

I believe the much of what is under discussion is a result of the Post Office updating cost schedules and services a few weeks ago. It will take some time for everyone to get updated.

The "free" tracking is new and comes on any packages over 13 oz. First Class now seems to end at 13 oz and Priority Mail takes over. My shipping cost for a small Flat Rate box went from 5.25 to 6.80 or what the USPS calls a 12% rate adjustment. (Not my math.) The commercial discounts seem to have evaporated as well.

I can also say shipping from the other side of the pond to me is usually no treat on my end.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I use the USPS boxes: they are convenient and they are free. The USPS will even deliver them to your address. I only used padded bags when I ship by First Class mail, because the rates are more reasonable than those for boxes. Respectfully, your comparison is flawed. Why would anyone use their own boxes and pay through the nose when the USPS FLAT RATE boxes are more convenient and with the flat rate, the weight of the box does not matter?

That's a good question, as I've yet to see any US eBay seller offer the small box flat rate for priority international. Maybe that option isn't available on eBay.com when you're setting the international shipping rates for a listing.

This seller, for example, offers two international shipping options for all his single pen listings, $60.75 for priority express and $48.50 for priority: http://www.ebay.com/sch/robmorrison/m.html?item=381538571802&hash=item58d578961a%3Ag%3AxAsAAOSwXshWtBny&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Some of the items I receive by priority from eBay do actually come in the USPS boxes. But I'm always charged the higher non-USPS box option, presumably because that's the eBay default. The seller makes a little profit from the shipping charges when that happens, but in the long run probably loses more by driving away international bids.

You are not supposed to send liquids by mail, by the way.

In punta di penna.....

I've sent ink all over the US and internationally and it's never been rejected. I tell them it's ink, "liquid" is stamped on the package and off it goes.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Only very specific liquids are prohibited (alcohol, gasoline, explosives):

USPS Shipping Restrictions

By the way, I've just received a pen today from a US seller. $13.50 shipping by USPS First Class International, packed very safely in a carboard box (not USPS brand), and tracked all the way.

Water based fountain pen ink in sealed bottles or containers is neither restricted nor prohibited in the UK or the US.

Please may I suggest that you check your USPS web-site for the correct information.