Usps First Class International

Cryptos

Posting this here in the hope that any of our members who are also eBay sellers can benefit from the information.

One of the biggest peeves EoC has in dealing with anyone selling from the US on eBay is the insistence on their using the Global Shipping Program, or more expensive USPS shipping options, in the mistaken belief that this is the only way a package will be tracked and traced.

Well EoC has, courtesy of USPS' own website, got news for you. To quote:

The United States Postal Service is reminding customers that — for no additional charge — online tracking has been added to certain international shipping services for lightweight packages to select countries.

The international shipping services for which free online tracking is available include:

• First-Class Package International Service
  • Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes
  • Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Boxes

The free online tracking feature is available for these items sent to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, Great Britain, Germany, France, Netherlands, Croatia, Denmark, Spain, Switzerland, Israel and Brazil.

Online tracking information, when available includes the date and time the package:

• left the U.S.
  • was received in the foreign country
  • was delivered, or delivery-attempted at the final destination address

Please take special note for the countries highlighted in blue above.

This information will now go into every single message EoC sends to any seller that stubbornly insists that First Class International does not have tracking numbers.

This one hopes that our US friends find this of some interest and aid.

EDIT: Reference website: https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2013/fs-free-online-tracking.htm

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tryphon

• Chrissy

• Cryptos

• sakayume

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this leads to more sellers using First Class International. :) Priority Mail International to Australia is so expensive, and combined with our lousy exchange rate, I've pretty much stopped buying from US vendors. I used to buy a lot of (rather large and heavy) secondhand books, but have all but stopped. Though I think that's one area where ebay's Global Shipping Program actually isn't too bad. :P

Edited by candide

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

I thought many of them were already aware of this. I am and I live in the UK.

Perhaps someone could let this ebay seller know? I think $1,000 for shipping an inkwell/pen holder to the UK is the most extreme shipping I've ever seen on ebay. :yikes:

He may as well just say he only sells within the US.

I wanted to buy a single, steel #6 1.1 stub nib from the US recently.

When I checked it out I found the cost of postage was more than the cost of the nib!!

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

I thought many of them were already aware of this. I am and I live in the UK.

Some are, but EoC has had a hard time convincing quite a lot of sellers. And so, now they get the official word.

A recent seller had the following three statements on a listing:

1. I do not ship international items via USPS 1st class airmail due to lack of tracking.
  2. Only Global Priority tracks the box to you door & provides seller protection.
  3. I understand that USPS overcharges for this simple task, but it's the only way I ship due to rampant international buyer fraud.

When EoC pointed out that this information was incorrect the seller continued:

"... my listing is correct as per what i was advised by the postmaster. 1st class is not tracked past by the USPS."

(emphasis added by EoC)

EoC suggested that the postmaster was in error, and this generated a snarky response thus:

"I do not give false information in my listings at all. Please do not insinuate i give false info or you can definitely go elsewhere to bid."[1]

All of this prompted EoC to provide the seller with the information directly from USPS' own website. Kind of unarguable at that point, isn't it?

The upside - such as it is - is that the USPS info can be quoted directly to the sellers, now that EoC knows where to find it.

The downside - in this particular case - is that this seller has lost a customer.

[1] Got to love the hypocrisy after having stated publicly the "rampant international buyer fraud" (point 3).

More power to you.

Sadly my location means I can neither benefit from GSP when selling nor suggest USPS 1st class as a tracked alternative when buying. :mellow:

Sadly my location means I can neither benefit from GSP when selling nor suggest USPS 1st class as a tracked alternative when buying. :mellow:

And your location is.... ? :huh:

And your location is.... ? :huh:

Not USA and none of these:

"The free online tracking feature is available for these items sent to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, Great Britain, Germany, France, Netherlands, Croatia, Denmark, Spain, Switzerland, Israel and Brazil."

The unfortunate part is that the tracking is only available to a limited number of countries...there used to be MORE countries on the list but the USPS removed some in 2015..

Italy and Denmark for example are no longer on the list for tracking....

To be fair to the USPS, they're not the only postal service with hefty international postage fees. Posting parcels internationally from Australia is very expensive too, it's just that there aren't (usually) any fountain pens worth buying from here. :P

I like parcels from Japan. EMS is relatively reasonably priced, with full tracking, and there's still a slow boat option for heavy things like books. :)

Edited by candide

From what I gather, defrauding ebay vendors is not an uncommon occurrence. Perhaps the shipping options they insist on has signature on delivery. I know that in Australia at least, the postie just leaves international first class parcels at the door which may not provide enough protection from buyer fraud for the vendor to be comfortable.

Personally I am in love with international first class however and suggest it at every opportunity to the vendor. Granted I mostly deal with vendors with ties to FPN and very little ebay people however.

Hopefully this leads to more sellers using First Class International. :) Priority Mail International to Australia is so expensive, and combined with our lousy exchange rate, I've pretty much stopped buying from US vendors. I used to buy a lot of (rather large and heavy) secondhand books, but have all but stopped. Though I think that's one area where ebay's Global Shipping Program actually isn't too bad. :P

Facing the exact same problem here. That Aussie dollar has basically put a stop to my acquisitions :'(.

Also not sure what books you tend to buy, But book depository has been very good to me. Free world wide shipping :D :D

I don't think Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes come with signature on delivery (my current postie also leaves parcels outside the door for all and sundry to take if they wish, ugh), but things could well have changed.

I like illustrated and/or letterpress books, and unfortunately those are seldom to be found on bookdepository. But I love bookdepository for currently in print books. The local bookstores are friendly, but they inevitably have to order in the books I want from overseas, so I might as well do so myself and save some money too. :P

I like parcels from Japan. EMS is relatively reasonably priced, with full tracking, and there's still a slow boat option for heavy things like books. :)

Hello,

EMS Japan is certainly good, but I am happy that I don't have to use it.

One of my friend who lives in U.K. wanted some Tomoe River paper (4000 sheets) and wanted me to ship it to him from Japan. It is certainly possible for me to do so, but at that weight point, EMS is very expensive for him.

You seem knowledgable about sea shipping (more than what I could find around here) than I am. Everyone uses Yamato Transport here.

1. Can you please tell me if Sea shipping parcels are trackable or not from Japan?

2. What is the time difference between 2 point of update in tracking?

3. Are the parcels damaged in transit or get wet? Considering they go by ship, and there is paper like books, damage is very costly.

I apologize beforehand to anyone who thinks this is not the appropriate place to ask this. Please report this post if it is wrong.

Kind Regards,

Mew

Hello,

One of my friend who lives in U.K. wanted some Tomoe River paper (4000 sheets) and wanted me to ship it to him from Japan. It is certainly possible for me to do so, but at that weight point, EMS is very expensive for him.

You seem knowledgable about sea shipping (more than what I could find around here) than I am. Everyone uses Yamato Transport here.

1. Can you please tell me if Sea shipping parcels are trackable or not from Japan?

3. Are the parcels damaged in transit or get wet? Considering they go by ship, and there is paper like books, damage is very costly.

I apologize beforehand to anyone who thinks this is not the appropriate place to ask this. Please report this post if it is wrong.

Kind Regards,

Mew

I don't actually have direct experience with surface mail from Japan, only through orders from the bookstore (e.g. Kinokuniya), though I have received surface mail from the UK.

But, as far as I know, there is no tracking since it is an economy option. As for damaged parcels, I doubt getting wet would be more of an issue than a parcel getting caught in the rain when sent through normal avenues. The ones I have received came to me in good, undamaged condition, though I had one take 3 months (!!!) from the UK. It just turned up one day when I'd thought it was lost. In general, I think that the item should arrive intact if appropriate care is taken when packing the items.

Sorry, I don't think I have been of much help. I had a bit of a poke around the Japan Post website, but as far as I can tell at a quick glance, there is no mention of tracking for SAL.

Many apologies EoC but I always stop reading as soon as I get to you writing in third person. I prefer to read your posts written in first person on the other forum that we both use.

Hello,

Kind Regards,
Mew

Mew, I have bought many bottles of ink from Japan that have been sent by SAL, and I have never had a problem at all. They always seem to be well packaged, and I have never received one that looked remotely wet. On the other hand they are much lighter in weight than 4,000 sheets of Tomoe River paper

Hello,

Mew

I think EMS is a great service & I use it often to have things shipped to the UK. SAL is also good & usually much quicker than the quoted times.

I bought 4000 sheets of Tomoegawa from Japan & had it shipped FedEx. It was surprisingly cheap for a 16kg package, and arrived within 3 days.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I don't actually have direct experience with surface mail from Japan, only through orders from the bookstore (e.g. Kinokuniya), though I have received surface mail from the UK.

But, as far as I know, there is no tracking since it is an economy option. As for damaged parcels, I doubt getting wet would be more of an issue than a parcel getting caught in the rain when sent through normal avenues. The ones I have received came to me in good, undamaged condition, though I had one take 3 months (!!!) from the UK. It just turned up one day when I'd thought it was lost. In general, I think that the item should arrive intact if appropriate care is taken when packing the items.

Sorry, I don't think I have been of much help. I had a bit of a poke around the Japan Post website, but as far as I can tell at a quick glance, there is no mention of tracking for SAL.

Yes, Japan post website mentions that it will take 2-3 months for the parcel to reach you using sea shipping. I will have to pack it very carefully then and probably use some water protection material.

I was talking about sea shipping. SAL is something different and offers full tracking. In SAL, the goods are transported between countries as airmail, and delivered inside countries via surface mail. So if a parcel lands in San Francisco from Japan and the ultimate destination is say Washington (I don't know the entry point of parcel from Japan into USA), Japan to USA will be via airmail and San Francisco to Washington will be as surface mail.

Sea shipping is completely as surface mail.