Visconti Van Gogh Skips & Hard Starts

CRAKZOR

Hello,

I posted previously about my Visconti Rembrandt and it also had this problem with hard starts and skips every line. I was able to exchange it for a Van Gogh starry night, and sadly it's no better. The starts are really bad. I have to apply more pressure than usual to get it started, and then 5 seconds off paper requires another hard start.

Either im extremely unfortunate or visconti has the poorest nib QC

here's a pic demonstrating the issue,.

Visconti Van Gogh Starry Night B Nib

http://i.imgur.com/nDeSjan.jpg?2

If theres any way to fix this without sending it to a nib mechanic let me know pleaseee

Edited by CRAKZOR

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drafty

• CRAKZOR

• WriteBros

• AmaranthMoor

Hi, do you bleed off a few drops to prime the feed after you fill it?

If yes, then, have you looked at the tines under a loupe to see if they are aligned? (don't realign yet if you haven't done that before)

It might be something else like a tight feed channel but start with the others first.

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."

Hi, do you bleed off a few drops to prime the feed after you fill it?

If yes, then, have you looked at the tines under a loupe to see if they are aligned? (don't realign yet if you haven't done that before)

It might be something else like a tight feed channel but start with the others first.

Hi Drafty, thank you for your reply! I don't have a loupe but I've felt with missaligned nibs before and I don't think this is. It's real smooth going on all directions.

I've done afew things so far,

-Flushed and changed ink. It was previously kon peki now 54th mass.

-widened the tine gap a tad, it just made it alittle wetter

Edited by CRAKZOR

okay, is there a gap between the nib and the feed?

Or...perhaps the feed is set too far back on the nib?

Hi Drafty!
I dont see a gap between nib and feed

the feed is pretty close to the nib tip

It does write great upside down, no stops or skips

Edited by CRAKZOR

Check this thread out - it sounds like a Baby Bottom:

http://...forum/topic/187706-five-bad-things-that-happen-with-new-pens/

...but you also should look under magnification somehow. I've fixed easy problems just because I can see it clearly. Anything you are uncomfortable with though, hit one of the nibmeisters up. A Visconti is worth the pain in the a$$

And...don't lose faith in the pen. Sometimes a few flushes and fills and they sort of come to life. One of my pens did just that recently.

Check this thread out - it sounds like a Baby Bottom:

http://...forum/topic/187706-five-bad-things-that-happen-with-new-pens/

...but you also should look under magnification somehow. I've fixed easy problems just because I can see it clearly. Anything you are uncomfortable with though, hit one of the nibmeisters up. A Visconti is worth the pain in the a$$

And...don't lose faith in the pen. Sometimes a few flushes and fills and they sort of come to life. One of my pens did just that recently.

I'll pick up and try out

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Nail-Buffer-Block/SBS-707914,default,pd.html#q=buffer&start=11&sz=12&viewAllProducts=true

i'll let you know how it goes thank you very much

hopefully i dont mess anything up o.o

I went through the same ordeal with my Rembrandt when I puchased it a year ago ... like you, I exchanged the nib and that didn't help. Later, I even went on to purchase another nib (B instead of M) and it made no difference.

I flushed and flushed and flushed ... I tried different inks and different converters and cartridges.

I ended up buyng cheap Chinese pens to learn to how to tune ... and really in the end, that's how I resolved the issue. I took the nib assembly apart and aligned the tines.

I find that I have to do this quite often and it is pretty picky about which inks it likes.

In the end though ... it's a great wet pen and it lays down ink like no other pens in my drawer.

Oh you're going Rambo on it. I absolve myself of all responsibility and remind you that I recommended a nibmeister ;)

There's mylar paper and micromesh made for less extreme measures.

Check out the Goulet Pen blog about it

Rambered it! It works great now. Starts Immediately, writes with barely any pressure, so wet. Its sure is a joy now

strange thing is, it feels smoother.

http://i.imgur.com/uvwh8VG.jpg?1

Edited by CRAKZOR

Oh nice!

Bravery won the day. That flow you're laying down looks great.

Damn right it feels smoother, you manicured it!!

• 3 months later...

Hello, everyone! I realize there hasn't been a reply in awhile, so hopefully you all still see this and such. I am dealing with the same hard start issues, but I'm not sure it's baby's bottom. There is a possibility, though... My nib and feed alignment is not great -- offcenter, and the feed is too far back in relation to the nib. Are they friction fit? Can I just pull straight out? I'm always hesitant with new pens when it's hard to tell! Nothing like cracking a plastic feed because you went too "ape" on it trying to get it out.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, I have a rembrandt but was hoping one of you knew.

Cheers, and TIA!

Edited by jrdemasi

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, everyone! I realize there hasn't been a reply in awhile, so hopefully you all still see this and such. I am dealing with the same hard start issues, but I'm not sure it's baby's bottom. There is a possibility, though... My nib and feed alignment is not great -- offcenter, and the feed is too far back in relation to the nib. Are they friction fit? Can I just pull straight out? I'm always hesitant with new pens when it's hard to tell! Nothing like cracking a plastic feed because you went too "ape" on it trying to get it out.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, I have a rembrandt but was hoping one of you knew.

Cheers, and TIA!

Hi there! :)

I had pretty much the same problem with my Van Gogh that I got recently (the nibs are the same as Rembrandt, from what I've heard!) and it was pretty bad--skippy, hard starting, a little off-center, all of it! I was super disappointed, since it was my first "serious" pen...so I tried a LOT. I tweaked the tines, switched inks, cleaned it until I could probably use it for surgery...and it still didn't work! I would also gently push the nib so it centered on the feed, but the issues just kept coming back, and somehow, magically, the nib would drift off-center all over again. I came to the conclusion that maybe that wasn't the main problem after all.

So when it came down the point where there was nothing left but resorting to grinding it...

...I chickened out and sent it to a nibmeister! I mean, it's a forty dollar nib--I would break into a cold sweat every time I even moved the tines a little bit, it would kill me to try and fix it on my own. And I figured with a nibmeister I would also be able to try a cool custom stub along the way.

Currently, the pen has not returned to me, but it should soon and I look forward to it!

You could also have the nib exchanged by Visconti through Coles of London, but I've actually heard stories where someone does that and they still get a bad nib! And it takes weeks, too. But it doesn't hurt to try (though it might hurt your wallet? I think they charge you for the shipping, though I could be wrong...)

Good luck!! :P

“Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.”
—George Orwell

• 5 years later...

Thanks for the encouragement. I just yanked the nib from my Rembrandt, cleaned the feed, flossed the tines (they were tight to my feel and inspection), and now everything is drying. This is the second nib on this pen (the first replaced by Coles for baby's bottom) and it performs better than the first, but not at a level acceptable enough to carry the pen solo. Here's hoping the TLC helps.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2021 at 8:18 PM, WriteBros said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I just yanked the nib from my Rembrandt, cleaned the feed, flossed the tines (they were tight to my feel and inspection), and now everything is drying. ... Here's hoping the TLC helps.

This pen has performed solidly since the above repair. Thanks again for the posts above and the guidance they provided.