• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Le Vieux

• phaus

• zwack

• corgicoupe

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one that I could make out any markings on was the first. It's a Wearever, a US maker. They made inexpensive pens (yours is probably from the late 30's or early 40's), but I like them. I have quite a few, and they are good pens for the most part.

Nice collection by the way.

Edited by Zookie

The pen in the first picture, the Wearever, looks like a Wearever Deluxe 100.

Not sure about the second pen. Are there any names/markings on it?

Does the gold pen in the third picture say "Waterman" on the nib? It looks like it might, but the picture is kind of fuzzy. If so, on the bottom end of the pen there should be a number. That should tell you the model of the pen. It it is a waterman, its a very high quality pen.

What are the markings on the fourth pen? The picture isn't good enough to tell.

The final pen, as you may have guessed, is from Venus. Some of their pens are nice, but they made a lot of lower-end stuff so there isn't much information about specific models.

The pen in the first picture, the Wearever, looks like a Wearever Deluxe 100.

Not sure about the second pen. Are there any names/markings on it?

Does the gold pen in the third picture say "Waterman" on the nib? It looks like it might, but the picture is kind of fuzzy. If so, on the bottom end of the pen there should be a number. That should tell you the model of the pen. It it is a waterman, its a very high quality pen.

What are the markings on the fourth pen? The picture isn't good enough to tell.

The final pen, as you may have guessed, is from Venus. Some of their pens are nice, but they made a lot of lower-end stuff so there isn't much information about specific models.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated! Indeed, the nib says Waterman, but it displays 14k not 18k. Shouldn't be 18k?

264643240_minoxandfountainpen.png.2be96a1cb960c6ba19879d9d0fb2a13a.png              Fountain pens and Minox                                 

No, 14 K was often the normal gold nib. 18 K is more rare for that era.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The Waterman #3, looks very much like my 0552, but mine has a hard rubber end on the body and the clip is attached further down the cap. Do you see the word *Ideal* on the clip, or the lever? How about on the nib?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

No Ideal engraving anywhere. Nib has "14 ct gold plated" on it...should this not be 14 k or kt ? I mean the CT stands for "carats", but I thought K or KT is much more customary.

The clip is not inscribed at all. However, I can barely see some marking on the lever button, which resembles to the globe marking, which Ideal displays indeed on its pens. But is faint, and until I get the pen in my hand, I can't tell for sure (the pens are to arrive in a couple of days). I have attached a somewhat larger image here, perhaps you can make what ison that lever.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/oq4AAOSwPgxVL4Wx/$_57.JPG

Another Ideal would nicely fit in my collection. Anyways, nice pen.

264643240_minoxandfountainpen.png.2be96a1cb960c6ba19879d9d0fb2a13a.png              Fountain pens and Minox                                 

I was referring to the gold pen in the 3rd image.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

No Ideal engraving anywhere. Nib has "14 ct gold plated" on it...should this not be 14 k or kt ? I mean the CT stands for "carats", but I thought K or KT is much more customary.

The clip is not inscribed at all. However, I can barely see some marking on the lever button, which resembles to the globe marking, which Ideal displays indeed on its pens. But is faint, and until I get the pen in my hand, I can't tell for sure (the pens are to arrive in a couple of days). I have attached a somewhat larger image here, perhaps you can make what ison that lever.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/oq4AAOSwPgxVL4Wx/$_57.JPG

Another Ideal would nicely fit in my collection. Anyways, nice pen.

There isn't a standard for marking nibs. 14k, 14 carats, 14ct, and 14kt all show up as far as I know.

Also, did you look on the bottom of the Waterman pen? There should be a number that tells you what model it is (like 552, 52 1/2, etc.).

By Bottom they mean the opposite end from the nib. I would call it top but whatever.

Third and fourth are waterman look alikes. It is possible someone put a waterman nib in a different pen. I would expect a number on the opposite end of a waterman pen. That will allow you to find a bit more detail. E.g I have 2 452 1/2V pens. They have silver overlays (4) are based on a hard rubber 52, they are the slim, short (vest pocket) version.

But unless both the clips and levers have been replaced then they are probably not waterman pens

By Bottom they mean the opposite end from the nib. I would call it top but whatever.

Third and fourth are waterman look alikes. It is possible someone put a waterman nib in a different pen. I would expect a number on the opposite end of a waterman pen. That will allow you to find a bit more detail. E.g I have 2 452 1/2V pens. They have silver overlays (4) are based on a hard rubber 52, they are the slim, short (vest pocket) version.

But unless both the clips and levers have been replaced then they are probably not waterman pens

Good catch. I didn't notice that the lever/clips were wrong.

Thank you, guys, really appreciated. I will make some better photographs and revert with details.

All the best for now!

Not for France, so it`s very likely a French Waterman nib :)

The actual waterman nib says 14K so the Romanian was confused by An American Waterman nib... (read post #4).

He was expecting it to say 18K but it says 14K.

Edited by zwack