Pen For Beginner

Jyoung

Hello, as the title says I am new to fountain pens. I never knew so much went into them. Can anyone recommend a beginner pen? I don't want to spend a whole lot, but I have my eye on the Lamy Al-Star. I have open ears to any recommendations!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jyoung

• TheRealMikeDr

• sandy101

• wascallyrabbit

I consider the Lamy Safari and Pilot Metropolitan to be good options for a first fountain pen. Both are well built and durable. The Safari has the advantage of interchangeable nibs which allows you to experiment without having to buy another pen (only the nibs) and its nibs vary from extra-fine to broad and stubs. These nibs are also compatible with all Lamy fountain pens, but the 2000. The Metropolitan doesn't gives you this option as Pilot don't sell spare nibs for this pen specifically, however it's an inexpensive metal pen that it performs very well. It comes with a converter while you must buy it separately for the Safari, so you save some money (~5 dollars) if you intend to use ink form bottles, which gives you more color options to choose from.

If you consider the Safari, take into account that the faceted grip section of these pens are not for everyone. I don't have nay issues with it, but it's a deal breaker for some people. I have both pens and I believe they are pretty good pens for the price, you can't go wrong with any of them.

There are also Chinese pens, like Jinhao, that are fairly good and priced below inexpensive. I had a Jinhao x450 that were pretty nice, however the nib that came with it wasn't great and I replaced it for a Goulet nib. Some are luck to receive a perfectly working nib, but there's always the chance to receive a bad one. You can try one of these as they are really inexpensive, but I'd recommend something trouble free for a starter pen.

P.S.: Everything I wrote about the Safari applies to the Al-star, I just prefer the Safari.

Edited to make it clear that the advantages of Safari also applies to the Al-star.

Edited by Gudi

Hi, I moved your question to a more appropriate forum.

Welcome to FPN.

There are several brands that produce good starter pens.

There is Lamy, with the Safari/Vista/AlStar, which is basically the same pen but different materials. As Gudi already mentioned.

But Lamy also produces the NEXX, which is slightly fatter, and I like the grip better. And just a bit cheaper than the Safari.

The Pilot Metropolitan or MR2 (which is the European version which takes Standard International sized cartridges), also mentioned by Gudi, is a very nice pen, and I personally prefer it above the Safari.

Pelikan has some entry level pens, too, like the Twist. It's cheap, about half the price of the Safari, and it writes OK, but I find the shape a bit awkward to handle, although it looks fun.

And there is a new pen, the Stola3 which I have not tried yet, but looks interesting.

Through the internet you also can find pens from China at very low prices. I have no experience, but many members here are happy with them.

Parker has the Vector FP, and the Urban (a bit more expensive). I'm not really fond of these entry level Parkers.

If you look around a bit you might snatch a NOS (new old stock) Parker 45 somewhere for a good price. These are very nice pens.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Platinum Plasir is a good pen to start with - cheaper than the Pilot MR & the Lamy. The fine/medium nibs are good and the pen is easy to maintain. Pelikan also have newish model out called the Stola III - it's a cartridge pen and looks quite pleasant to use. I have ordered one and I hope to put a review here when it arrives.

I would avoid cheap Chinese pens as the quality control is not always there - yes, there are bargains to be had, but there can be problems such as parts fitting together properly.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Lamy Al-Star or Safari. They are easy to get hold of, as are the cartridges and converters. Good selection of nibs, colours, finishes. Pretty reliable, and lightweight.

I'd get the best you could for your budget. What's your budget? You mentioned the Lamy Al-Star. Is that at the top of your budget or mid-range or what? We'll be able to better advise you when we know what a "whole lot," means. Also, do you have any immediate preferences - big pens (in diameter/length), smaller pens, heavier pens, lighter pens. You may not have any preferences at this time, but just asking in case you do. When I started, I didn't know enough to have many preferences, but I did want a little heavier pen.

Welcome Aboard!!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I don't really have any preferences yet aside from weight. I've never had a fountain pen, but I do like a bit heavier writing utensils. That's about the top of my budget for now. $30ish

I don't think you can go wrong with a Lamy Al-Star or Safari. They are easy to get hold of, as are the cartridges and converters. Good selection of nibs, colours, finishes. Pretty reliable, and lightweight.

Also, the beveled grip section will help you learn a proper tripod grip. If you use this grip, and write with a light touch, you probably will not have to write a new thread: "Why is my pen scratchy?" ;)

Edited by carlos.q

I don't really have any preferences yet aside from weight. I've never had a fountain pen, but I do like a bit heavier writing utensils.

IIRC the weight of some of these pens are these:

Lamy Safari - 17 gr.

Lamy Al-Star - 21 gr.

Pilot Metropolitan - 25 gr.

Check some of the reviews as my memory ain't what it used to be...

I'd recommend the Lamy Al-Star, based on what you said. It's slightly heavier than some. However, it's critical to know what you're getting. Some people love the feel; others hate it. Have you ever used one of those triangle shaped rubber things that you slide a pencil through, and use it to write with? That's the shape of an Al-Star - triangle shaped. I, personally, love it, but some people don't. If you like that shape, then I think that would do you just fine.

Another pen that writes very well, that you may like, is the Pilot Kakuno. It's a great writing beginner pen.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Hello, as the title says I am new to fountain pens. I never knew so much went into them. Can anyone recommend a beginner pen? I don't want to spend a whole lot, but I have my eye on the Lamy Al-Star. I have open ears to any recommendations!

For what you want, you could probably do an awful lot worse than the Al-Star. And really, liking the look of a pen is often a good enough reason to buy one around these parts.

;)

(Good luck, and I hope whatever you do end up getting is to your taste.)

I went with the al-Star without a converter, my girlfriend and myself are doing this as a hobby together so I showed her your all's replies bc she says she don't think she would like that tri pod grip. I need to get her to make an account on here lol. Moleskin paper good? I read cheapo notebook paper is kind of terrible bc of bleeding and such.

There is also the Sheaffer 100 in this price range. It's a smooth writer and a fairly heavy pen. It's more classic looking than the Lamy or the Pilot

Depending on whether or not you use cartridges or the converter, in N. America, the Sheaffer cartridges are available at Staples.

Moleskine paper is not held to be ideal for fountain pens around here, I'm afraid. There is some cheap paper that'll handle everything, and some expensive paper that won't. The shiny looking stuff tends to work better on balance than the soft absorbent stuff.

Welcome !

Tough choices, without previous experience ! Still, one needs a "starting point" of reference.

I suggest that you risk / invest / waste a dollar on one of these fountain pens. I have several.

They all work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271941111771?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Frankly, I would give you one of mine, but I couldn't mail you one for $1, so get your own.

Worse case : You hate it; she hates it; you tell everyone that Sasha Royale owes you a

dollar. :gaah:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

:doh: :headsmack: You need the converter...order it. Cartridges are so very expensive....very very expensive. You could buy a fountain pen needle syringe from Gullett(sp) and refill your cartridges with very cheap in comparison to cartridges bottled ink. And or get the converter.

Bottled ink is much cheaper than cartridges; even the expensive inks. You have more color and tones to be had.

A cartridge is good to have as a reserve, for when your converter runs out when you are away from home and your ink bottle.

Lamy, MB have a couple of the greatest looking ink bottles. Waterman and Pelikan ink bottles are great function bottles. :W2FPN:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Re paper. Check you local Staples or Office Depot for legal pads made from sugar cane; that paper is fairly fountain pen friendly and not too expensive.

At a more expensive level around $9. or $10. per pad, see if you can find pads by Rhodia or Clairefontaine. Very good paper and something of a benchmark standard for paper in these parts.

For bulk paper which is a lot cheaper per sheet but you have to buy a ream, lots of people here like HP Laserjet 32 lb. paper. That stuff is really smooth to write on and accepts ink very well. The HP 24 lb. paper is almost as good as the 32 ( but not quite) and is of course less expensive.

A good fountain pen writing experience is the combination of pen, paper and ink as you've probably surmised from lurking around here. Browse through the forums here to explore and learn what others have experienced, apply a small grain of salt, and try things for yourself also.

A good basic ink in the bottle is Waterman Mysterious Blue despite the silly name (I say that not because I object to poetic names. - see Noodler's ink - but because Waterman has changed the name of its trademark standard blue ink about 3 times in the last 2 years to try to keep up with its more dramatic rivals but has only ended up looking silly) and using ink from a bottle is far more economical than using cartridges.

Enjoy.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I consider the Lamy Safari and Pilot Metropolitan to be good options for a first fountain pen. Both are well built and durable. The Safari has the advantage of interchangeable nibs which allows you to experiment without having to buy another pen (only the nibs) and its nibs vary from extra-fine to broad and stubs. These nibs are also compatible with all Lamy fountain pens, but the 2000. The Metropolitan doesn't gives you this option as Pilot don't sell spare nibs for this pen specifically, however it's an inexpensive metal pen that it performs very well. It comes with a converter while you must buy it separately for the Safari, so you save some money (~5 dollars) if you intend to use ink form bottles, which gives you more color options to choose from.

If you consider the Safari, take into account that the faceted grip section of these pens are not for everyone. I don't have nay issues with it, but it's a deal breaker for some people. I have both pens and I believe they are pretty good pens for the price, you can't go wrong with any of them.

There are also Chinese pens, like Jinhao, that are fairly good and priced below inexpensive. I had a Jinhao x450 that were pretty nice, however the nib that came with it wasn't great and I replaced it for a Goulet nib. Some are luck to receive a perfectly working nib, but there's always the chance to receive a bad one. You can try one of these as they are really inexpensive, but I'd recommend something trouble free for a starter pen.

P.S.: Everything I wrote about the Safari applies to the Al-star, I just prefer the Safari.

Edited to make it clear that the advantages of Safari also applies to the Al-star.

+1

The Safari and Metropolitans are cheap (relatively) but writes well. Also, you can buy them pretty much anywhere (Amazon and eBay if you are looking for an online store).

William

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

I'm going to dispute sandy101 on one thing. Most US retailers charge a little bit more for the Platinum Plaisir than the Pilot Metropolitan. However, I've seen Plaisirs for under $15 on Amazon.

I always recommend the Platinum Plaisir. It's thicker than the Safari or the Metro where you grip it. It doesn't have the facets found on a lot of German school pens (Safari, Nexx, ABC, Twist, Pelikano, Pelikano Jr.), nor does it have the large and moderately sharp step of the Metropolitan. Its cartridge can be refilled with a disposable 3ml bulb pipette, which are often sold for under 20 cents. And it is very very slow to dry out while capped. (Given your second post, you might get it for your girlfriend.)

Some people find any pen without the weight of brass too light, and the Plaisir's aluminum body puts it on the lighter end of the continuum. Others complain about the big stainless steel cap band breaking up the pen's line. A few have said it has too much feedback or tooth.

You might want to consider the Jinhao X750, X450, or 159. These are substantial brass pens. The Goulet Pen Company (happy customer, nothing more) has detailed information on all the pens they sell, and a well-deserved reputation for excellent customer service. They sell every pen mentioned so far in this thread.

Cartridges are a VERY expensive way to buy ink, and even if you refill them (Goulet sells blunt syringes for this purpose), they can wear out. If you expect to write much with fountain pens at all, expect to buy bottled ink.

I also recommend "easy" and "low maintenance" inks to start with. Stick with basic inks sold by pen manufacturers. Waterman, Sheaffer, Pelikan, and Pilot inks are all really good. Read up on pen maintenance/hygiene and high maintenance inks before you get anything "bulletproof," waterproof, blue-black, iron-gall, pigmented, "fountain pen india", "document," or "eternal."

Paper made from sugarcane (aka bagasse; much is imported from Brazil), or made in India (which has a thriving fountain pen culture), is usually better than what you will normally get that's made in the US. Avoid inkjet paper, and all-purpose paper for laser and inkjets. The HP paper mentioned as being really good above is specifically LASER paper.

platinum balance / platinum cool is slightly more expensive than the safari / metro / plasir, but has a bit more weight because of chunky double threaded connector between the barrel and grip section.

When i was attempting to get my mother in to fountain pens and letting her hold a bunch of my sub 100 dollar ones... she felt all of them were too light till she held the platinum cool. this was the first one she said "i like the way this one feels, i want one like that".

the rest of the pen is plastic so having the metal joiner just behind the grip section gives it a very pleasant feeling in regards to weight distribution. not too high, not too low, just below center.