Help Me Deciding - 150$ Range

Angel91

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the forum for a while now, but I have always hesitated to post. As I see you're a very helpful community, I'd like to ask for some advice on choosing my first "expensive" fountain pen.

To sum it up, I'm looking for a professional-classic (classic in the sense that it doesn't attract attention), that writes well so I can carry it everywhere. I wouldn't like it to be too expensive, as I'd be afraid to carry it with me.

I've narrowed down it to several options:

The first is a Franklin Christoph p66 (or a 02) with a Masuyama nib, as everyone says they are one of the best writers, and they look awesome and classic.

The second would be Delta The Journal (or maybe Unica or Italiana...), as they're in the range and I like how Deltas look and write.

The third would one be Edison Beaument or Collier, as they're beautiful and write well. I don't like the fact that they look kind of "precious" to the ignorant eye.

Pelikan and Platinum are also on my list. I don't like Pelikan styling and the Platinum 3776 looks so much like a MB 146, which I don't really like.

What would you do?

Thanks!

Edited by Angel91

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angel91

• sirgilbert357

• Ecriveur

• Blue_Moon

Top Posters In This Topic

For modern fountain pens, I recommend looking at the Japanese Big 3 (Sailor, Platinum, and Pilot). Professional, unobtrusive, and able to carry anywhere? Pilot VP may do the trick under your budget. The Platinum #3776 may have the form factor of a MB, but the looks are very different. I also find the feedback on the Platinum nibs to be among the best. Sailor offers several excellent pens in your price range as well.

But if you are truly looking for classic and want to have a pen that you can carry anywhere, why not look at the vintage pens from the 40s and 50s? For less than your budget, you can get one of the best pens ever produced, the Parker "51." You could also look at the Parker 45, a true workhorse pen at 1/3 of your budget. Similarly priced would be an Esterbrook J series, and this would meet every one of your criteria. The Sheaffer Snorkel is also an excellent pen with a unique filler and would easily come in under your budget. You certainly don't need to limit yourself to modern pens when your description ideally suits a pen from the Golden Age!

Buzz

Thank you very much for your replies.

Thing is I would like to get a new pen, so I can grow with it and have a good customer service.

About Pelikan... I don't know, the pens I like from them are more expensive than what I can afford. It maybe that I've seen my father all my life using Pelikans and I don't really feel like using them.

The Pelikans I like are M215 and some M205 like Amethyst or White or M200 Green Marbled. Do you think it's really worth it spening a bit less but getting a Pelikan over a, lets say, Franklin Christoph?

What do you guys think about my choices, tho? Any feedback?

Edited by Angel91

The only ones I have experience with on your list are the Pelikan M200/M205's. Although when I got my M200 Cognac (which can still be purchased new) , I also looked at Platinum 3776 Century pens. (I like the Bourgogne better than the Chartres Blue) but it is close. Ultimately I decided to go with the Pelikan.

I have or have had the red M205, a black M205, also have an old style M200 blue marbled as well as a black M150 and a pair of 120 Merz & Krell pens.

But to each his own. If you don't care for Pelikan styling (especially modern) going vintage is always an option. It is certainly different than pens made since about the early 90's.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

You might want to take a look at the Taccia Covenant in black. It's got a very unusual cap that covers nearly the entire pen, while still maintaining a fairly traditional appearance, and it's within your price range. It's unusual enough not to be boring, but also not flashy.

Another option would be the Faber-Castell Loom. It's a rock solid pen, not at all fragile, and well below your price range.

If that Loom is a bit chunky for your tastes, have a look at a Lamy Studio, a nice, sleek, metal pen, available in a variety of colors, and well below your price range (though more costly than a Loom).

Edited by Ecriveur

The Lamy 2000 mak isn't too far from your budget, and depending on your nib size, it's one of the best to write with. It won't attract much attention either as it looks quite understated.

If you want classic nib shape though...it won't be your thing.

....but from your narrowed-down list, the F-C #02

Edited by Drafty

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."

Thank you. I like the Loom but, as I said, I was thinking of getting a slightly more expensive pen to make it me grail and everyday pen.

I don't feel attracted to Lamy to be sincere. Their designs don't appeal me.

Do you think it is worth it spending more money on a FC or would you rather spend less in a M20x or a platinum?

...to make it me grail and everyday pen.

Do you think it is worth it spending more money on a FC or would you rather spend less in a M20x or a platinum?

Let's rewind and look at what you said there: you want this to be your "grail" and everyday pen? No one can tell you what your grail should be. You will know it when you find it. An everyday pen is different for everyone and is a nebulous qualification. I will offer some thoughts on the M200's and FC in general though...maybe it will help. Just know that, in my opinion, you are comparing apples to oranges and there is no clear winner. I don't see how you could go wrong with either option. It comes down to what you prefer.

Franklin-Christoph offer a full 30 day return policy. Even if you ink the pen. That's right--a full refund on a "used" pen (it'll cost you the shipping to send it back, but meh, it's not that bad). So if you're on the fence, just know that you can return the FC if it's not for you. FC turns the 02 (among others) model from a single block of acrylic -- they are very solid pens once put together. I have the 03 model and love the block threads. It is very light and balanced in the hand and everything fits together very nicely. The leather pouch it comes in is actually real leather. Don't ask me why, but I expected some fake leather material. I feel the asking price is worth it, even if it's a C/C filler with a JoWo nib. The design and hand turning of the pen is what you are paying for here.

The M200's (and 400's in my experience) are very good pens too. They are piston fillers, so will hold more ink than the converter of the FC's, and this makes them a capable pen for someone who writes a lot or uses it every day. I would say they are best suited to having a dedicated ink though, as I rinsed my original M205 out monthly and it dried out the piston and required re-lubing much too early (even Pelikan's site says to clean/flush once a year). So if you switch inks and like to fully clean it out before loading the next ink, just know you may need to re-lube it more often (but it's stupidly easy to do). The nibs on most M200's are slightly springy--this is NOT flex in any way though. The tines don't spread, they just have some give. It's still what most true flex users would consider basically a nail. The JoWo nib of the FC is 100% a nail with zero spring or give. I enjoy writing with both, but the Pelikan one has a tiny edge because I like the springy give. The Pelikan is injection molded plastic and as such, will have seams visible on the section (at least the three I've had in my hands have). The FC will have no seams since it's turned on a lathe. Visible seams look cheap to me; you'll have to decide for yourself on that point. Both pens have excellent clips and can post if you prefer--I don't post my pens, so I have no observations there.

One major thing would be size. Make sure you know the dimensions of the two pens and which will fit you better, as I'm pretty sure the section diameter of the M200 is smaller than the FC model 02 you're considering. And I believe the M200 is shorter unposted, which affects balance for most of us.

Edited by sirgilbert357

Thank you very much for the in depth answer.

In fact, size is a factor. I was thinking really of picking the P66, which seems to fit my expectations., rather than the 02, but that's on my list too. I guess the M200 is that size too.

So you say that the Pelikans have a better nib than the F-C? One of the things I've heard is that the F-C are one of the smoothest writers around, since they're modified by Masuyama. Isn't that right?

What you tell me about F-C is very interesting too, I liked them because they look robust, not a pen you have to handle with care. But another important thing is that M2xx are around 75€ and the F-C would be 150€. That's what I'm wondering, because I prefer the F-C, whether paying double the price for it is really worth.

You cannot go wrong with a Franklin-Christoph. Not only are you getting a pen that you'll treasure, but you are also getting their incredible customer service along with it. I can't say enough about their customer service. One caveat - their customer service is not scripted and polished. You could easily be talking to the guy who is putting the pens together and doing some nib work. You could be talking to the owner of the company. Whoever you're talking to, they will not say, "I'm sorry, but that's not our policy," or "I'm sorry, but I can't do that," etc. You will get people who do what it takes to please the customer. That's the bottom line.

Having said that, you don't have a company making pens like TWSBI, with cracking problems (TWSBI fans, please don't be flaming this thread), so their customer service has to be truly excellent (as TWSBI's is) in order to make up for a product with problems. F-C's products are of top-notch quality. It is a privilege to own a Franklin-Christoph fountain pen. The quality is superb. The customer service is just icing on the cake. Where else can you get a pen with a Mike Masuyama nib for just a few (very few) dollars more. If you chose not to get the Masuyama nib, and get the F-C standard nib, that's fine too, because F-C's standard nibs are of a very high quality in and of themselves.

Bottom line - you just can't go wrong with an F-C purchase. Yes, I confess - I'm an F-C fan-boy. No - I don't work for them, but I do buy their products.

As far as other pens, the only ones on your list that I have experience with are Pelikan. I only had one - a Richard Binder m200. I didn't care for it when I got it, so I never inked it. I sold it brand new. Never wanted another Pelikan. I just don't care for Platinum pens. I had one - I don't even remember which one. It didn't write that well, and I just never cared to get another. I have no experience with Deltas or Edisons. I do like Pilot pens. You may be able to find some Custom Heritage pens in your range - maybe a 912 or, if you look long enough, a 743.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Thank you. That's the answer I needed... hahah. Which pens do you own by them? Have any of you tried the P66? How do you find its size?

I'll definitely get a Masuyama nib if I get a F-C.

In fact, size is a factor. I was thinking really of picking the P66, which seems to fit my expectations., rather than the 02, but that's on my list too. I guess the M200 is that size too.

So you say that the Pelikans have a better nib than the F-C? One of the things I've heard is that the F-C are one of the smoothest writers around, since they're modified by Masuyama. Isn't that right?

What you tell me about F-C is very interesting too, I liked them because they look robust, not a pen you have to handle with care. But another important thing is that M2xx are around 75€ and the F-C would be 150€. That's what I'm wondering, because I prefer the F-C, whether paying double the price for it is really worth.

Ah, I missed the part about the P66...

I like my Pelikan nibs just fine and the stock HPS nib that came on my FC was good, but...well, it was smooth, but it felt like I was writing with a pencil. You got that feedback from it. I use dry inks though, so that may be part of the issue. Either way, 10 seconds on Micro Mesh had it where I wanted it and its fine now. I didn't have to adjust it in any other way.

The Masuyama nibs are an exception in my comparison to Pelikan's stock nibs. I'm sure they are better than a stock nib from Pelikan or a standard F.C. HPS nib. Honestly though, I got a Masuyama broad stub and sent it back. The sweet spot was quite small and very sensitive to rotation. I thought that was odd for a stub (would seem more in line with a C.I.); plus the line variation wasn't near as noticeable as I hoped. I didn't want to mess with trying to tune it myself, so I have a 1.1 HPS stub coming as a replacement. That should give me what I want I think...Not saying his tuned nibs aren't any good, but the one I got just wasn't for me. I originally wanted a C.I., but chose the stub because I wanted the smoothness -- having been disappointed, I didn't want to send it back and get the C.I. and pay another 6 bucks to send THAT back too if it wasn't to my liking...so I went with the 1.1 stub because I've had one before and I know what to expect.

And yes, they are very strong pens. The barrel walls and cap are quite thick; and without the injection molded seams, just seem tougher overall. I would guess the glossy finish is still going to pick up micro scratches, but the acrylic seems to have a harder surface than the resin of my M400 and the M200's I've had in the past. Who knows on that point though...

Again, I can't say if its worth it to you or not. The cost is just the price of admission man..."worth" is like beauty -- in the eye of the beholder. Shame you can't hold both in person to make your decision; but remember the 30 day return policy on the FC. If you can find a place that does the same on Pelikans, just order both and keep the one you like best. You might not get to ink the Pelikan though...most places only let you return for a refund if the pen is uninked.

Edited by sirgilbert357

I'd also suggest you pay attention to the weight and feel of the pen in your hand. This ends up mattering a great deal when you write. Although the Pelikan M200 that I bought years ago is a perfectly fine little pen, it feels too light for me. Even posted. I find that I want slightly more weight to my pens. No idea why. It may be that I write with a very light touch so appreciate the fact that the pen adds weight but whatever the cause I find it more comfortable to write with a slightly larger pen and a slightly weightier pen.

This is not to say that you should not get the Pelikan or a similar pen, since many people on this board complain that certain pens are too heavy and favour lighter pens. But it does mean that you should definitely pay attention to weight, size and balance in your decision (since I am sure you have already focused on nib and style, which are also critical).

Edited by islandink

Thank you again. I'll let some time go by and decide, but I'll definitely get a F-C. Not yet sure if 02 or P66.

Your posts have been really helpful! :)

Thank you. That's the answer I needed... hahah. Which pens do you own by them? Have any of you tried the P66? How do you find its size?

I'll definitely get a Masuyama nib if I get a F-C.

I own the 19 and the 66. Next up on my wish list are the 02 and 03. I've never tried the P66, so I can't speak to that. Whatever F-C pen you get, I'm sure you'll be happy with the quality.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I own the 19 and the 66. Next up on my wish list are the 02 and 03. I've never tried the P66, so I can't speak to that. Whatever F-C pen you get, I'm sure you'll be happy with the quality.

Agreed. There's just something about acrylic turned on a lathe. It just feels different than any "precious resin" pen I've held before. And the depth and patterns in my Iterum Smoke & Maroon are awesome. It's really cool to see how the patterns and swirls interact with the light when you move it around...

Take a look at the Parker Sonnet. It was my non-steel pen, and I still use it today!

William

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

You cannot go wrong with a Franklin-Christoph. Not only are you getting a pen that you'll treasure, but you are also getting their incredible customer service along with it. I can't say enough about their customer service. One caveat - their customer service is not scripted and polished. You could easily be talking to the guy who is putting the pens together and doing some nib work. You could be talking to the owner of the company. Whoever you're talking to, they will not say, "I'm sorry, but that's not our policy," or "I'm sorry, but I can't do that," etc. You will get people who do what it takes to please the customer. That's the bottom line.

Having said that, you don't have a company making pens like TWSBI, with cracking problems (TWSBI fans, please don't be flaming this thread), so their customer service has to be truly excellent (as TWSBI's is) in order to make up for a product with problems. F-C's products are of top-notch quality. It is a privilege to own a Franklin-Christoph fountain pen. The quality is superb. The customer service is just icing on the cake. Where else can you get a pen with a Mike Masuyama nib for just a few (very few) dollars more. If you chose not to get the Masuyama nib, and get the F-C standard nib, that's fine too, because F-C's standard nibs are of a very high quality in and of themselves.

I have the FC 20 and 40, use them daily and absolutely love writing with them. Both are classic yet modern to look at and their customer service is fantastic. I did a couple of reviews of my FCs elsewhere on FPN if you're interested. Good luck and I suspect you'll find at least one FC that you like.