What Do You Write/draw?

rhythmandstealth

Hi,

Apologies if this seems ignorant, I have been an on/off lurker here for some time. I have been using fountain pens since I was about 7, where it was mandatory in my school to use one, and I have done so ever since. However I've since joined a workplace which is even more 'paperless' than those before it, and I have virtually no reason to write notes anymore. I probably only scribble through 2 sides of A4 a week, and those are basic to-do lists.

I enjoy the process of writing, although not in a luxury sense - I have only ever used fairly cheap working pens, not really interested in buying the larger type of luxury pens as my budget it limited.

So what do you write outside of work?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rhythmandstealth

• linearM

• Icywolfe

• Old_Inkyhand

I note down my ideas so that I can revert to them.

I prepare notes and mind maps to learn the huge amount of material which I need for school and for competitions.

I draw cute animals for my friends to cheer them up when they are upset.

I write letters sometimes and send them via email.

I'd like to write more and type less, but I have too little time.

EDIT: mistakes :blush:

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

I'm an avid letter writer. I have about 150 letters in my 2015 received basket which means I've sent out about the same number. I'm now involved with lettermo.com the month of letters. I've been involved with it the past three years and have about four fountain pen pals in the United Kingdom.

Every Monday a group of us draw for 3 hours at the local arts center and a good share of my sketches the past six years have been fountain pen sketches.

I think both endeavors help to justify my obsession with fountain pens.

I still take all of my notes at work with a fountain pen and paper. Electronic devices are not allowed in any of the meetings I attend, and the pen and notebook combination is the only tool allowed. So I write many pages on my Levenger pads to tear off and later transcribe into action items, notes, or information papers. Additionally, I write all of my outlines and most of my rough drafts for important work on a legal pad with a fountain pen.

At home, I journal and write for pleasure. Once again, my tool of choice is a fountain pen.

The right tool for the job for me is still a sharp mind, an educated thought or two, a good fountain pen, and a pad of paper!

Buzz

I still handwrite quite a bit at work. I could do less of it (and replace it with keyboarding instead) if I really tried but I like writing and handwriting doesn't take up valuable screen space that I would rather use to looking at the documents I'm making notes about. I also sometimes make notes on other documents (e.g. notes in the margin in red ink with my red Lamy Studio) and, of course, there's no typing those.

Apart from work, I typically handwrite when making notes at some type of meeting, or writing notes to myself in circumstances where taking out a screen and typing on it isn't practical.

And then there is, of course, the signature - virtually the last item of handwriting still in common use.

Our office is paperless as well --they're even taking printers away.

Nonetheless, I have multiple notebooks that I use for work ... one acts as an organizer, the other for general notetaking (and doodling), and a third that I use to document meetings with employees (usually when they've done something stupid lol )

At home, I have a bunch of pads lying around my desk ... I scribble when I'm surfing the Internet. I'm also a member of a Toastmasters club and I use my pens to write speeches.

I keep an A5 notebook with removable pages that I use to record samples of ink. Everytime I ink up a pen I write "The quick fox..." in it. Over time, it allows me to see which inks look good with which pen.

I also keep one to write down recipes (another hobby). Every recipe gets written with a different pen and ink.

Lately I've discovered colouring books for adults ... they're pretty addictive. I have one on my desk and I sometimes spends lots (and I mean lots) of time just colouring with my pens. The number of inked pens has multiplied considerable since I've taken on this hobby. It's also a great way to getting rid of my regrettable ink purchases or finishing off the last drops of ink before changing colour!

I keep a morning pages journal. That's three pages of writing, first thing every morning. I keep the current volume on a small bookcase next to the bed, and the pens that are in current rotation in a canister on the top shelf.

I make shopping and to do lists, take notes during classes. Sometimes (not enough) I do sketches and drawings.

I keep looking at the coloring books for grownups but a lot of them have too much lifework that's fat. Boring. Although I did pick up a pack of watercolor postcards at a pen show a couple of years ago, just because I was amused by the concept.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Book reviews

Political theory

Economic theory

Observations of humanity

Poetry

Historical analysis

Fiction

All for fun

Telephone messages

Meeting notes

Progress notes

Assessment tools

Service plans

Action plans

For work

I am a journalist by day, and all my interview notes are done with fountain pens. I have written 12 plays that have been produced, the first drafts of which were all written with fountain pens. My first novel was published as a serial in the newspaper that employs me and each of the 25 installments were written with fountain pens. I keep a daily journal which is written with fountain pens.

Basically every mark I make on paper is done with a fountain pen, of which I have many.

A daily journal, of sorts, which is nominally A5 in size. I've also assorted smaller notebooks for various purposes and rants. It all helps to keep the old grey cells turning!

And when I get round to them - letters!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

A diary, journalling, lots and lots of notes, lists and logs of stuff that I want to keep on paper, also a dream diary (when I have something I can remember the following morning), and notebooks dedicated to certain hobbies.

I try not to use a fountain pen (or any other pen) for writing. I'd much rather write straight to a computer than write by hand and type it up later, and keep an alphasmart to hand in case I'm writing away from my desk now. I do take notes by hand (and have a stack of notebooks stuffed full of scribbles to refer to when writing fiction). I'm not sure offhand, but I think all of the work I've had published that paid (several comics scripts, a television screenplay, a novella and a lot of reviews and short stories) was written straight to a word processor.

Thanks guys you've mentioned a whole load of things i hadn't considered. I didn't realise there were so many serious creatives amongst you! I am not particularly creative, and squirm at the thought of a journal for some reason, maybe i'll try and copy some algebra from somewhere.

Work notes from meetings etc in one book. A personal journal in another book and a work journal about my thoughts front be past days and weeks.

i pretty much only do two very non romantic things for writing.

i maintain a fluid task to do list for personal life and an accomplished task log for work.

In my ministry, I design a variety of business card size prayer cards that I give to parishoners and folks at hospitals/hospice.

My personal calligraphic style, with a variety of inks, seems to help me be present in some pretty difficult situations.

This personal touch helps, especially with folks I'm meeting for the first time..

I actually do much more sketching/drawing than writing. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and whenever I start designing a logo or other project, I always start with pen and paper. Sometimes I'll scribble down some notes or keywords, but mostly it's little drawings or thumbnail sketches. Honestly most people looking at them may not even realize what they are, but they make sense to me.

Journaling, drawing, list writing, note taking, post card and greeting card writing, and handwriting practice. The usual, in other words.

Edited by IrishEyes

"In the end, only kindness matters."

I suppose I'll answer with outside of school. Well I have 2 apica cd-15 filled with stories I write. Some are humorous some are plain stupid others are sad basically anything. I normally would retype up the writing into a digital format and put it in online places but I gotten lazy and the one site I often frequented I ended up having issues with the members as in the issue stems from the notion of "Boy don't write/read books." So far I'm just writing these for my own personal fun.

I do have another note book that is what i call my revenge book. Where I would write stories including similar people to I hate and have them in horrible situations. Death is too easy, but being stuck in the same position as me in my personal world is quite fun. My newest addition into that book is my college professor, she indirectly called me stupid in class and gave my answer to another person. I'm still annoyed by that. (Before somebody says: You were called that because you did something wrong. Well then all I did was say no to a stereotype. The teacher just asked the class something which the teacher expected the class to say "yes" to. But I shook my head in a no. The teacher soon after told the class no is the correct answer but still threw that comment at me.) My revenge book is only like 12 pages as rarely get into arguments with people who I end up hating.

I also draw guns, warships, tanks and some warplanes.(I would do anime/manga characters but not with FPs I use blue pencil + dip pen) But at the moment I don't as my sketchbooks are kinda full and I have no idea which brand of paper to buy for sketchbooks as most are not very FP friendly. And my current one I can't find it in stores any more and it was good paper. Like it was smooth for the FPs but somehow I didn't need like 4B pencils to write on it clear enough. Like how FP friendly paper are smooth but they are bad with pencils.

When I had my C74 with MU nib. Atm that pen is lost somewhere in my house. But when I did have it I would use it to try to compose as I did take composing classes when I was much younger.

I also use a Brush pen to write JP characters/word with some flair. And use a slightly flexible C743 Falcon to write random English words with some flair. <<< Largest waste of paper. I would get through couple of sheets per day. Depending on how relaxed I am. This + listening to some relaxing music drifts me away in my imagination so I can write more stories.

#Nope

I use my fountain pens at school and at home to do my homework, but if I get those really strict teachers who don't let me use fountain pens, I just have to use a pencil.

William

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene