2016 Annual Northwest Pen Round-Up!

Michael McNeil

Hi all,

The 4th Annual Northwest Pen Round-Up! will be held on Saturday July
16th, 2016, at the Lucky Labrador Brewing Co. In Portland, Oregon,
from 11:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. It is the same weekend as the largest
antique show in the Northwest, the Christine Palmer Antique Show.

Last year the attendance by both buyers and sellers was very good. The
attendance by vendors was better than we had anticipated and we had to
make extra room for a couple of the sellers. There were pen people
here from B.C., Washington state, Oregon, California, Arizona, Iowa
and likely other states.

There were plenty of fountain pens, mechanical pencils, and desk top
items. There was plenty of commerce in writing instruments, plenty to
buy, sell, trade, admire, learn about and discuss and also to meet
other collectors.

I saw quite a number of extraordinary vintage pens for sale. Also a
number of modern pens that I had never seen before.

The event room has air conditioning, so that's cool, literally and figuratively.

A number of people have planned a Summer vacation around the pen show
and the antique show. The Pacific coast always has nice cooler weather
than Portland and seldom does it get above 75 degrees there. There are
always lots of things to do around Portland. Portland prides itself in being a
little off beat and it is always an interesting city to visit.

All pen collectors and users are invited, wherever you are. We do not
limit this event to just people from the Northwest or the West Coast.

Admission is free. We only charge a nominal fee for vendors who want
to set up. If you would like table space, please contact us early, as
space is very limited.

If you would like to reserve table space please contact Stuart
Hawkinson or me Michael McNeil.

s.hawkinson@comcast.net

michael@northwestpenworks.com

Link to antique show website: http://christinepalmer.net/

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/Pen%20Round-Up/RoundUp2015SFF10B2_zpse5dsqjfz.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/Pen%20Round-Up/RoundUp2015JG3B_zpsezo0svnr.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/Pen%20Round-Up/RoundUp2015SFF6B2_zpstb03vsbs.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/Pen%20Round-Up/RoundUp2015GB1B_zpsgdlrgt5r.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/Pen%20Round-Up/RoundUp2015SFF20B2_zpsdwsc8l2f.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael McNeil

• Starguard

• IrishEyes

• ArtPen

We will try and make it, but which Lucky Lab is it?

SE (Hawthorne), SW (Multnomah), NW (Quimby) or N (Killingsworth)? I have been to two out of four.

I have to say that I don't like the Antique show much after having been kicked out for daring to ask how I was supposed to know about an alleged rule that wasn't posted or advertised. My wife had taken a photo of an unmanned booth and a dealer nearby had claimed that photography was not allowed. My response to Chuck Palmer was that without any signage to indicate otherwise we had assumed that this was a public place and that photography was allowed. I suspect the real transgression was that I didnt just submit to the demands of the former prison officer without question....

The address is 1945 N.W. Quimby St.

Edited by Michael McNeil

I was able to get the day off! I can hardly wait, this will be my first pen show of any kind!

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Thanks for the notification. I've never been to a pen show... that saves me a lot of money! :-) However, I just moved to Portland and I don't think I could miss this! I'll have to start saving some extra cash for sure. All of those lovely pens, I am sure that some of them would just have to go home with me.

• 4 months later...

Hi, All!

Does anyone know if there might be someone who does nib tuning and/or nib grinding offering their services at this year's Pen Roundup?

Inky fingers to all!

Susan

ArtPen Susan,

What does your nib or nibs need to have done to them? I can do a limited amount of that sort of thing at the Round-Up, but I do not want to spend all day working on nibs. I will have friends to chat with and pens to drool over.

Michael McNeil

Northwest Pen Works

ArtPen Susan,

What does your nib or nibs need to have done to them? I can do a limited amount of that sort of thing at the Round-Up, but I do not want to spend all day working on nibs. I will have friends to chat with and pens to drool over.

Michael McNeil

Northwest Pen Works

Hi Michael, do you do other work besides Nib work? I'm not looking to have you do anything at the show though.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Hi Katherine?

I stopped doing custom vintage pen work in '09. I am only working on pens for resale and my personal pen collection. E-mail me from the address on my website and I can give you a referral to an excellent longtime vintage pen repairman.

I do different kinds of pen work, mostly full restoration, inside and out. I'm just not doing it for others at this time. Depending on what the other lady needed, I thought I would be nice and offer to work on a couple of pens. I just remember working all night on pens in Las Vegas, for a friend, at a show. NIGHTMARE! :)

MMc

Great! A referral would be fine. I have 3 pens that need work, two of them are Sheaffer's, a Tuckaway with a military clip. I don't know what the other one is. The third one is a Pelikan M400, the nib on it is cracked and the collar won't come out of the barrel. I'm afraid the Tuckaway and the Pelikan repairs may be out of my reach, but I'd like to have an idea how much to set aside for the repair work. What is your URL?

Edited by Katherines

Hello, Michael -

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you; I thought I had "followed" this thread, but I hadn't received any notification of your response, so maybe something went south with that.

Anyway, what I was looking for might be too much to allow you time to relax and enjoy the show. I have two nibs that need smoothing, and one I'd like reground to a narrower stub nib than it is a present. I'd be happy to take a recommendation, tho. I've got the nib work and a couple of repair pens I could send off to be taken care of, and everyone could enjoy the show.

Thanks again for your input!

All the best to you,

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get the day off! I can hardly wait, this will be my first pen show of any kind!

That's awesome. We've been out of town for the last meetups.

I will try to bring some tomoe river paper just in case anyone buys or brings some interesting inks.

This will be zwack's and my first pen show/roundup. It better be good, 'cause we're driving in from 100 miles away (a 2 + hour drive, depending on traffic)! LOL!

I'm sure it will be. I'll be looking at/for nice sterling silver pens, either fountain or dip, and pretty inks I don't already own. I hope I can find at least an example or two of both :-).

We're both really looking forward to this event.

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Michael, Jim and Stuart-great show!

I bought far more than I wanted to and had a wonderful time.

Thank you all!

I know I had a good time and spend a bit more than I should have. We had a great turnout, both sellers and attendees! I hope everyone had as good of a time as I did. I got to meet some new people and saw a lot of familiar faces, and there were lots of pens there, too! What more could a pen geek ask for! ;-)

We had a great time, too :-). I got the most amazing pen chest (that holds 80 pens) that was a large jewelry box in a previous carnation, before it was converted into a pen case. Beautiful carving all over it, in a light-colored and strong wood, and ornate, antiqued brass hardware. I feel like I got a bargain on it for $75.

zwack didn't find anything he HAD to have, but I managed to find a ringtop Edward Todd hard rubber fp with gorgeous gold-filled trefoil vine filigree and an 18k semi-flexible nib; and a Brit-made Savoy in the most beautiful cream-colored marble, WITH a semi-flexible 14k nib. I can't believe I picked that one up, ready to write and in perfect condition, for only $30. I had a modest $200 budget to work with, and feel like I really got my (or, to be more exact, zwack's :D) money's worth with those 3 items--and I even had a few greenbacks left over when all was said and done.

Edited by IrishEyes

"ringtop Edward Todd hard rubber fp with gorgeous gold-filled trefoil vine filigree and an 18k semi-flexible nib"

!

pictures or you didn't find it. ; )

we would like to see this one please !

LOL! It did happen, and here are 3 photos to prove it. It cost $75. I don't know if that's an ok price, a good price, or if it was overpriced. I guess it really doesn't matter, because I like it, so here it is, at home with us :-). It's a cute, tiny thing, and it writes nicely :).

fpn_1468829812__edtodded1a.jpg

fpn_1468829829__edtodded2a.jpg

fpn_1468829844__edtodded3a.jpg

Edited by IrishEyes