Pelikan M800/m805 Barrel-Section Weld Durability

itsallkg

I love my Pelikan M805 in the black and rhodium, but I was talking to some folks the other day who were mentioning that M800s do sometimes have an issue where the section "falls off" because the weld that holds it together with the body ends up failing. Upon some Googling, I saw some horrific pictures of this and shuddered to think about that happening to my grail pen. To you long-time Pelikan owners, how common of an issue is this? Thanks for your time!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itsallkg

• Matlock

• jmccarty3

• sargetalon

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen photos of such on FPN, but have never experienced anything like this from any of my M800s in over 20 years of using them.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

It happens but not regularly. I wouldn't call it a major problem or a reason not to pursue an M800.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I think this is one of those "I've got a friend who was speaking to someone in the pub who said that a friend of theirs knew someone who had heard from a person at work that a friend of theirs had been told of a broken M800. So it must be true that all M800s are rubbish".

We never learn, do we?

Peter

Nothing to worry about. However, some of the instances on FPN are related to dropped pens. But dropping pens is never good.

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci

I think this is one of those "I've got a friend who was speaking to someone in the pub who said that a friend of theirs knew someone who had heard from a person at work that a friend of theirs had been told of a broken M800. So it must be true that all M800s are rubbish".

We never learn, do we?

I don't remember saying that "all M800s are rubbish." I'm just concerned about a pen I paid a significant amount of money for... don't know what the problem with that is.

I don't remember saying that "all M800s are rubbish." I'm just concerned about a pen I paid a significant amount of money for... don't know what the problem with that is.

I wasn't referring to your post. Sorry if you thought that. (Must be my English humour). It is just that we have rather a lot of scare stories which, all too often, are based on hearsay. Please enjoy your pen and I hope it gives as much pleasure as my M800 does.

Edited by Matlock

Peter

I wasn't referring to your post. Sorry if you thought that. (Must be my English humour). It is just that we have rather a lot of scare stories which, all too often, are based on hearsay. Please enjoy your pen and I hope it gives as much pleasure as my M800 does.

No worries. No doubt, the M800 is a fantastic pen.

If it does even after guarantee is over, don't worry about Charpack and their charges, send it directly to Pelikan in Hanover. It will be fixed for free....out side the mailing.

And normal post does just fine from Germany.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.