The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Pens Do You Put Your Iron Galls In?

iron gall ink scabiosa

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Left Elvis

Left Elvis

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2016 - 21:20

Howdy friends!

So I'm delving into the alluring world of iron gall inks, and I was just curious how ya'll like to use your IG's. Do you keep them in just one pen or share the love? Do you use a certain type of nib exclusively, etc. 

Personally, I like to keep at least one Pelikan M200 with a springy F nib inked up with R&K Scabiosa as my EDC  :)

What is your favourite pen to ink up with IG's?

Sponsored Content

#2 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2016 - 21:39

With KWZI IGs, any of them - vintage and modern.

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#3 Abner C. Kemp

Abner C. Kemp

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2016 - 21:51

To be honest, I wouldn't really worry about putting modern IG inks in any of my pens. Perhaps I would be a bit careful with some of my vintage pens with sacs but even those would be fine with good pen maintenance. That said, I prefer keeping my IG inks dedicated to a cheaper pen so that I don't necessarily have to practice perfect pen maintenance. My Lamy Al Star Copper Orange is always loaded with KZW IG Orange and I have a few cheaper pens (hero, jinhao, exc.) that I'll load my Sciabosa into. 

#4 majolo

majolo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2016 - 22:04

I've been sampling a few IG inks (currently scabiosa and Diamine Registrar blue-black) and I want to add to the question: I gather these can be drier inks, so do people usually pair them with a wetter pen? I feel like the ink sometimes goes down lighter than I'd like (I know it will darken some as it dries) and I wonder if I should be looking for particularly wet writers, if that would help. Maybe I'm just more used to dark saturated inks.

#5 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,690 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 22:30

I have a Pelikan M400 B nib that is practically too free flowing for most inks...but it is perfect with Akkerman's Blue-Black Iron Gall ink. It is now dedicated to this IG ink.
Posted Image

#6 Buzz_130

Buzz_130

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2016 - 22:43

I starting using pens that I could easily disassemble, clean, and/or repair. I read all of the literature here on FPN about iron galls and had several concerns. So my Parker 45s and Esterbrook Js became the test beds for Diamine Registrars and KWZ Inks. I was pleased with all of the results and have begun expanding to more pens. My Visconti HS writes so wet that it's now a test bed for my IG inks, and I've recently filled one of my user grade "51"s with KWZI as well. I like these inks, and I find they perform very well in all of my pens.

Buzz

#7 BayesianPrior

BayesianPrior

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2016 - 22:58

I have a Lamy Studio dedicated to ESSRI.  I love the ability to 'hot-swap' the nib from F to 1.1.

bayesianprior.png

#8 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,130 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:38

I have a Platinum Balance that I dedicate to Scabiosa.   

#9 mooshi

mooshi

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:00

I just carry a VP these days. It's been inked up with Chesterfield Archival Vault exclusively for near a year now. :)

#10 dfo

dfo

Historiker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:52

Whatever pen you use with IG ink, just make sure to use it often and never let it run dry. I use KWZ ink in my Lamy 2000 and have never experienced any problems. In fact, IG inks are some of my favorites. 

Edited by dfo, 07 February 2016 - 10:53.

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned. 

Gramsci

#11 Gudi

Gudi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:16

I have a Lamy Studio dedicated to ESSRI.  I love the ability to 'hot-swap' the nib from F to 1.1.

Same here. I dedicated a Lamy Studio for iron gall inks for the exact same reason. Additionally, it can be completely disassembled for cleaning or replacing parts. I know some people use IG inks on vintage pens, but I prefer to use only "safe" inks on them.

#12 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2016 - 13:01

The cheap ones.  I'm not really the most fastidious about pen hygiene, and I fret about the possibility of letting it dry out.  So for me, thus far, it's been a stainless Baoer 388 and a Noodler's Nikita Eyedropper(predecessor to the Charlie; it has a blind cap the same color as the cap and section that screws onto the end of the barrel).  I know I can pull the feed and nib out of the Nikita pen bare handed, and I'm pretty sure I could do it to the Baoer with just a Goulet Grip.

And frankly, IG inks don't really float my boat (at this time).  I bought a bottle of Chesterfield Archival Vault.  I tried it in two pens.  It stained them both.  The color didn't do anything for me.  And I was getting perfectly adequate performance from Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

I do regard blue-black as one of the six essential colors.  But the top contender for my blue-black ink is Pilot BB, and it's a total workhorse, which may well be even more fade-resistant than typical modern IG inks.

Sure, there's a bit of pen geek in me that found it kind of cool to be using the same sort of ink technology that monks used to save civilization.  But I have better options than they did.  I suppose if I had a firehose I needed to tame, and Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black didn't do it, I'd have to consider an IG.

Edited by Arkanabar, 07 February 2016 - 13:04.

#13 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 16:34

Hi,

Here's few thoughts on choosing pens for use with I-G inks, plus musings on care and feeding:

№ 17 http://www.fountainp...alls/?p=2997172 and links therein.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#14 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,760 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:20

I like IG inks a lot, but I tend to put them into inexpensive pens and/or ones that are easy to flush.  So mostly I've used a variety of Parker Vectors, which are c/c pens.  Several of mine are fairly wet writers and since many IG inks are on the dry side it has worked well for me.  I did put some of FPN member Pharmacist's Terra Incinerata in a cheap Hero pen that was a squeeze filler (616? Knockoff of a 616?) a couple of years ago and that pen seemed to do okay as well.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#15 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,292 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:54

Whatever pen you use with IG ink, just make sure to use it often and never let it run dry.

+1

Hi,

Here's few thoughts on choosing pens for use with I-G inks, plus musings on care and feeding:

№ 17 http://www.fountainp...alls/?p=2997172 and links therein.

I'd be very cautious using iron-gall ink in pens with plated metal sections, plated rings on the nib-end of the section, or for that matter with gold-plated steel nibs.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#16 ItwasLuck

ItwasLuck

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges."

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 18:36

All 3 of my daily writers have been inked with Akkerman #10 Ijzer-Galnoten Bl/zw (#10) and KWZ IG Ink with no problems. With reference, here they are..  :wub:  :wub: 

No staining issues thus far on the London Fog yet!

I clean and flush all 3 pens twice a month even if they are inked with IG.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

http://imgur.com/a/7nCaf

Did I mention I don't use any vinegar or ammonium solutions? Just pure distilled water =) Don't worry about modern IG inks, they are quite amazing. Not to mention back in the day we would only have blue-blacks to choose from but now thanks to KWZ, we have a huge variety of colors to choose from when it comes to IG. =) 

Edited by ItwasLuck, 21 December 2016 - 01:47.

Dr. Jafar Mohammed Uddin (MBBS.)

Daily Drivers = Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib  -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib 

Currently Inked with MB Toffee BrownAkkerman #10 IG, and Akkerman #10 IG respectively  :wub:  :wub: 

#17 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 19:05

With KWZI IGs, any of them - vintage and modern.

I was gonna say the exact same thing!  ;)

#18 Ada

Ada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 19:16

I like IG inks a lot, but I tend to put them into inexpensive pens and/or ones that are easy to flush.  So mostly I've used a variety of Parker Vectors, which are c/c pens.  Several of mine are fairly wet writers and since many IG inks are on the dry side it has worked well for me.  I did put some of FPN member Pharmacist's Terra Incinerata in a cheap Hero pen that was a squeeze filler (616? Knockoff of a 616?) a couple of years ago and that pen seemed to do okay as well.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I do much the same these days -- iron gall inks go in pens that are easy to clean and don't dry out quickly (Preras, Sailor 1911M, and a vintage eyedropper which probably was filled with iron gall ink long before I ever owned it).  I used to use it in my Phileai, but it would eventually clog the nib, probably because those pens dry out more quickly then my other pens.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

#19 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,395 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 19:17

I have just the one iron-gall ink, in a Parker 51, which has given me no trouble over a period of three years or perhaps more. 

#20 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2016 - 22:57

I use IGs in all my pens, as just mentioned also in my 51 since the 60s. Also, as mentioned all over, clean your pens regularly, whatever may have been in them. As of yet, no problems. Of course, I don't use any inks anymore which are older than that pen (meaning that I'm convinced that no IGs made since decades are harmful)....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iron gall, ink, scabiosa

Sponsored Content

|