What's Better, Jinhao X450, Or X500?

Flippy

Hi all,

I came across two pens from Amazon, the Jinhao x450, and the x500. The finishes are what I think are called, Grey Marble(x450), and Chessboard(x500). I couldn't decide which one I could buy. I didn't want the other finishes, just these two.

What's better, the 450, or the 500?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• dvalliere

• Parker_S

• Flippy

Top Posters In This Topic

If you post this in the Chinese pen forum I'm sure you'll get a better response.

For what it's worth.

I have 3 of each and the x500 is by far a better pen.

This is of course only my opinion, and what I like, and what you are looking for may be entirely different altogether.

Ian

As far as I know, there is no Jinhao X500, I assume you are talking about the Jinhao 500.

Which one is better is very much a matter of personal preference. Overall, build quality is quite similar.

But there is one big difference: The X450 uses a no. 6 nib, the 500 doesn't. Therefore the X450 has a ton of aftermarket nib options (just to name a few that will fit: Jowo, Twsbi Vac 700, Nemosine, Goulet, FPR, and even the Zebra G dip pen nibs can be made to fit). This gives you a huge range of options if you want to customize the pen to your own preferences.

The 500 on the other hand, uses a smaller nib, and I haven't been able to find a nib from one of my other pens that fit properly.

The X750 and 159 also use the no. 6 nib, so they have the same modding potential as the X450. Personally I prefer the shape of the X750 over the X450. I haven't tried the 159 in person yet.

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Given they are fairly inexpensive, why not buy both? ... :)

Seriously, I don't have a 500 so can't comment but I have several X450s and they are great pens.

I've given away heaps of them as presents ... people love them!

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

...the x500 is by far a better pen.

Would you please compare and contrast the Jinhao x450 and the Jinhao 500. I have an x450 and an x750 and am in the market for a couple more. I see that the 500 has a different style nib (based on eBay photos). Can you comment on that aspect as well?

Thanks!

Would you please compare and contrast the Jinhao x450 and the Jinhao 500. I have an x450 and an x750 and am in the market for a couple more. I see that the 500 has a different style nib (based on eBay photos). Can you comment on that aspect as well?

Thanks!

Of course.

As coop says, the first difference is the nib size. The 500 has a smaller nib (#5) but this is only relevant if you are looking to change the nibs....which I haven't, as I have found no reason to.

Both nibs imo are very good, both smooth writers.

Although I have ground the nib on one of my x450s to a broad italic (bought for that purpose), and one of the 500s (same) to a med tipped stub, I still use the others with their "as they were" nibs as, both, as I have said are very good.

The x450 has the faceted section which some people like and some don't, whereas the 500 has a smooth section. I prefer the smooth section of the 500. (not a fan of the Safari, et al)

The x450 doesn't post particularly well, and if you force it the inner cap may crack.

The 500 posts well and securely.

Personally I think the 500 is a better looking pen (Pelikan-esque apparently) and is extremely well balanced, either posted or unposted, and is a very reliable, robust pen.

Although both pens are very good, and excellent value for money, IMO the 500 is the better pen.

Ian

Thank you for the reply.

Very helpful indeed. Of course, now you've made my choices that much harder since I was leaning in the direction of the x450. Grr.