What Do You Think Of The New Pelikan 120 Special Edition?

4lex

As it happens, I bought one of these today and was really pleased to find out that the 'new' one is the same size without the cap, as a current 200/400 pen. Longer than my vintage M140, which is great news, as I'd rather write with my pens unposted. I've small hands anyway but posting or not is always a matter of personal choice.

I'll try to get some pictures etc tomorrow and post a short comparative review.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4lex

• jkingrph

• ian1964

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its ok, but I would definitely get a striated version like the old m140 or m300 with rounded ends.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, had alook to one today in a shop. While the nib has nice scrollwork i see no rason toby a remake for 170€ while originals can be found with a tiny bit of patience for half of that on the bay of evil.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had alook to one today in a shop. While the nib has nice scrollwork i see no rason toby a remake for 170€ while originals can be found with a tiny bit of patience for half of that on the bay of evil.

Less: I bought a vintage 120 in excellent working order the other day for almost exactly $50, including international postage.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started using my new-style Pelikan 120 (Fine nib). I am happy to report that I immediately loved it. It writes about as smoothly as any other pen I have, so I do think it is worth the money if you can get it at a discount, as I did.

In fact, I like the new 120 so much that I now have a vintage 120 and a vintage 140 coming to see what the difference is!

Be happy to report on this once the pens arrive.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

BTW the new-style 120 has virtually no flex at all. :(

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I did post a review but here are a couple of images from that one, to show that the new M120 is larger than the old M140 (and so also the old M120) and is slightly larger than a current M200.

fpn_1462056263__m120_comparisons_capped.

fpn_1462098541__m120_comparisons_uncappe

Hope this helps.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Massdrop has these currently at $139,99 for a limited time; this price also includes free shipping within the U.S. This pricing is comparable to the price I got from an Italian dealer on the "bay". At this price point, the 120SE is a good buy, IMHO.

I just don't get what makes this pen good value at $139. Especially when for example you can get a 400 or 405 with a 14k nib from Martini auctions at this price point. But, I suppose while people keep buying them at this price Pelikan will just keep milking it more.

I agree that the price point for the M120N is atrocious but $139.99 is about the best price anywhere. If someone really wants one of these, they aren't likely to come along any cheaper.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I agree that the price point for the M120N is atrocious but $139.99 is about the best price anywhere. If someone really wants one of these, they aren't likely to come along any cheaper.

I bought mine in the UK from The Writing Desk at similar price. It is a brilliant pen, well balanced, very good steel nib, you can just feel it is modelled after the pen that was first and foremost a writing instrument. I wish you could get a pen like this without the excessive premium, but that is not going to happen. I received Porshe Design P3110 on the same day, with usual QC issues that I seem to get with any pen that costs me more than $400. It is a good pen to look at but pretty rubbish as a writing instrument. When I compare the two, M120 SE is great value for money. Now all I need is Reform to emerge from history and offer me similar pen at half price. But my advice to any Pelikan enthusiast is, don't hesitate. It is a good pen.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Well, I've tried the pen. While it looks well and feels well, I don't think it really is worth its price. If someone happen to love Pelikans and collects them, sure, why not. But if you're looking for good pen that offers good quality / price ratio it's not the one. I would buy this pen for myself if it was sold for 50 % of MSRP. At this price point i consider this pen to be ridicoulously overpriced.

Well, I've tried the pen. While it looks well and feels well, I don't think it really is worth its price. If someone happen to love Pelikans and collects them, sure, why not. But if you're looking for good pen that offers good quality / price ratio it's not the one. I would buy this pen for myself if it was sold for 50 % of MSRP. At this price point i consider this pen to be ridicoulously overpriced.

Have to agree. $139 gets you a Pilot 912 or 92 or Lamy 2000. Great pens, great gold nibs.