What Do You Think Of The New Pelikan 120 Special Edition?

4lex

Oh they definitely aren't "uncrackable". I sent my M205 in because the section had cracked and they shipped me a brand new in the box M200 (because they didn't have any M205's) -- with a crack in it! A brand new pen, with hang tag and plastic baggie! The replacement came in for that one and the top of the barrel by the filler knob cracked the very first time I filled it! That one went back too and now I'm waiting for my THIRD M200 to make this right...when I get it, I'll open the box to ensure everything is there and list it for sale in the classifieds without even touching it, LOL...

I guess we need a "Has your Pelikan cracked?" thread! :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4lex

• jkingrph

• ian1964

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a vintage 120 incoming, with two nibs, m and b, it was listed as unused, still in the original box.

Regards

Jeff

I was looking at Pelikan's web page (German version) and see that this pen is supposed to list at 170 euros, not 189. My guess is that you are paying an extra 19 euros for the additional gift pack/ink bottle.

I have a vintage 120 incoming, with two nibs, m and b, it was listed as unused, still in the original box.

lucky you

I can't find one in excellent condition under $100

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

lucky you

I can't find one in excellent condition under $100

I have this one incoming for $73, total cost, and a 120 Calligraphy pen again new, for 127.

Regards

Jeff

I picked up a 120 (55-65 version) this summer for $34 on that auction site. The nib has all its plating, the piston works smoothly and it writes like a Pelikan should. Get 'em before they're hot. For me, I prefer vintage to a re-issue.

I just got a 120 M&K for $17.49. Some plating loss on the cap band but not the nib. $170? Way to much. I was thinking $100 would be a bit more than ideal.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I am still tempted, I urgently need a review. If the nib is good, with some pleasant feedback, I think I will just have to have it.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Just purchased an excellent 140, no brassing, no cracks, no scratches, perfect ebonite feed, smooth piston, 14k F nib (bla bla bla) for €117

Now am I going to pay around €150 for a special edition 120?

Consider me an outlier. My first 'real' FP was a Pelikan 120. I still have that pen, and it still writes as new. Of course it looks like it has traveled around the world (it has) and so this pen of course has sentimental value beyond it's material worth.

I will buy a new one, just to close the loop so to speak, but doubt I will muscle my way to the head of the line. I'll wait to see if prices drop once those first few collectors thin out. My thinking is that retailers may find they have stock on hand which is not moving and drop prices accordingly. At least that's my strategy, and a lot of 'if's' will have to come to pass for this to work out. If not, oh well, I am sure one of these will find its way into me collection.

I am disappointed that these pens are starting off with such a high price, but I am happy they are not starting at a higher price because, I will be a buyer.

I have huge respect for the Pelikan marketing team. This pen will sell at whatever price it comes out at. Why? because we all assign different value in monetary terms base on disposable income. We are influenced by all sorts of external influences and Pelikan has great marketers who tap into our collective psyche. Those of us who choose the purchase Pelikan products believe that Pelikan represents good value compared to the other perceived luxury pen manufactures.

I am one such willing victim :)

Edited by ian1964

I have huge respect for the Pelikan marketing team. This pen will sell at whatever price it comes out at. Why? because we all assign different value in monetary terms base on disposable income. We are influenced by all sorts of external influences and Pelikan has great marketers who tap into our collective psyche. Those of us who choose the purchase Pelikan products believe that Pelikan represents good value compared to the other perceived luxury pen manufactures.

I am one such willing victim :)

Ha HA Ha :lticaptd:

Excellent irony, worthy of Monty Python!

Classic business school theory turned on its head.

"I know I'm being taken to the cleaners and I can even turn up early..."

Excellent!

I'm still not very interested in this new 120, but I think TWD had it up for preorder for about £100-ish? Which I thought quite reasonable (or at least more so than €189!), and on par with the regular M200. If I were keen on getting one, I'd probably jump in at that price. But I've never liked Pelikan's traditional black and green. :P

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Not really interested in the new one. I picked up a couple of the 120 calligraphy models though. One had a bold nib that was very scratchy and dry. A bit of down pressure on the nib to make better contact with the feed and a few minutes with some micromesh paper has it smooth and wet. I like the line variation with this nib.

Regards

Jeff

Ha HA Ha :lticaptd:

Excellent irony, worthy of Monty Python!

Classic business school theory turned on its head.

"I know I'm being taken to the cleaners and I can even turn up early..."

Excellent!

My point is, we are all victims of clever marketing every day of our life. Only a complete fool believes otherwise.

My point is, we are all victims of clever marketing every day of our life. Only a complete fool believes otherwise.

I know, I just like the way you did it :D

Fortunately, marketing only works (at all levels) on predictable members of society.

Milgram's experiment has shown that members of society exhibit different levels of willingness to submit to authority. This also applies to marketing and advertising when it tries to behave as a coercive 'authority' on consumer choice, whether it be done visibly or invisibly.

I know, I just like the way you did it :D

Fortunately, marketing only works (at all levels) on predictable members of society.

Milgram's experiment has shown that members of society exhibit different levels of willingness to submit to authority. This also applies to marketing and advertising when it tries to behave as a coercive 'authority' on consumer choice, whether it be done visibly or invisibly.

Yes, fair point. Although not familiar with that experiment I am always reminded of the Gruen Effect. Even though I know it really pertains to shopping malls, it was the first time I genuinely realised how suseptible most of us are.

Yes, fair point. Although not familiar with that experiment I am always reminded of the Gruen Effect. Even though I know it really pertains to shopping malls, it was the first time I genuinely realised how suseptible most of us are.

Of course you are right. But I would prefer if Pelikan would not follow Montblanc pricing policy for their tope end pens. One of the things that attracted me to Pelikan is their very reasonable price for a well made pen. I was able to buy a german made pen superior to some other luxury German brands for a very reasonable price. But I am noticing this is changing. Since I am not a collector and I will probably buy just two or so more Pelikan pens, it will not really affect me but Pelikan will lose some of it charm for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Aesthetically, I like the look of the M400 sized Pelikans- realistically- with my wide fingers, I cannot hold one comfortably for long - all my fingers bunch up, and I can only barely grab it - have to write at a steeper angle too

Interesting thread. Not the least of which because I learned something new today (about the Gruen Effect).

Personally, though, I'm not sure whether I would get one of the new M120s or not. I have a 1980s area M100, and while I like the pen okay, it's a bit small -- and got it for a good price -- the M200/M400 models fit my hand better (and I say that as someone with relatively small "girly" hands).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Interesting thread. Not the least of which because I learned something new today (about the Gruen Effect).

Personally, though, I'm not sure whether I would get one of the new M120s or not. I have a 1980s area M100, and while I like the pen okay, it's a bit small -- and got it for a good price -- the M200/M400 models fit my hand better (and I say that as someone with relatively small "girly" hands).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

The 120 should be the same size as the 140. When the cap is posted, it is about the same length as the M2XX/4XX and be about the same thickness.