Compared Some Blue Black Inks W/ A Dry And Wet Pen

hellokloh

Hi! This is my first time posting anything about ink... But I sat down a couple days ago and compared all my "blue black" inks and thought I'd share -- 

http://www.raccoonstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/snapseed-6.jpeg

This is all written on Kokuyo's binder paper, with the top pen being a Sailor Procolor 500, and the bottom pen being a Pelikan 400NN in Medium. I wanted to compare the inks with both a very dry and a very wet pen. I've noticed that many inks look pretty different at either extreme.

http://www.raccoonstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/img_2741.jpeg

I don't really have a favorite, but I do find the Montblanc and Sailor 4B more "teal" than the others -- and the Shin-Kai much more blue.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hellokloh

• AndyYNWA

• helene20

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite startling the difference the line size can make ... especially so with the Sailor and Kaweco BBs.

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

And, as far as I can tell, not a one of them is an original, iron-gall blue-black that "goes on blue and darkens to black".

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

And, as far as I can tell, not a one of them is an original, iron-gall blue-black that "goes on blue and darkens to black".

Enjoy,

by "original," do you mean "vintage" (as in a very old bottle or formula)?

Or do you mean, "any blue-black that goes on blue and darkens to black and has iron-gall in it I call 'original'"?

Or something else?

Enjoy,

Yep -- I don't have any iron gall inks yet, but would like to add RK's Salix to this comparison!

Enjoy,

I've heard this argument before, that a blue-black is an ink that writes as a blue but darkens to black... To me that's just an iron-gall ink.

To me a blue-black is a fairly dark blue, that shades to black. And to me, Bung Box 4B is the one that comes closest.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I don't really have a favorite, but I do find the Montblanc and Sailor 4B more "teal" than the others -- and the Shin-Kai much more blue.

I also thought Bung Box 4B looked teal at first, but I think it's the sheen that tricks you mind. In an italic/stub nib it looks much bluer.

But I think you are right about it having a slight teal component, but not as much as you first think.

YNWA - JFT97

Great comparisons of my favourite colour group.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hi,

Many thanks for teasing sharing another comparison of inks. :thumbup:

I find the Blue-Black inks as a group have enduring appeal, yet there needs to be a certain something something that makes such a subtle ink attractive.

As alluded to by Member Randal6393, 'true' Blue-Back inks are iron-gall, which I adore and use extensively. We have fingers crossed that ink boffins can gift us with low-Value low-Chroma Blue inks that have charisma similar to the I-G inks.

Do tell, which of those inks jangles your bangles?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I hope you don't mind (feel free to tell me to get my own thread :) ) but I thought I would add a scan of some of the blue-blacks in my own stable.

I must say the scan of the Diamine Teal makes it look a lot more green than it does to my naked eye.

post-122649-0-56984100-1454764097_thumb.jpg

post-122649-0-76963400-1454765017_thumb.jpg

post-122649-0-56390900-1454765026_thumb.jpg

post-122649-0-05225200-1454765038_thumb.jpg

post-122649-0-71664400-1454765046_thumb.jpg

Edited by BayesianPrior

bayesianprior.png

Thanks for the review. The Bung Box 4B looks great. Does anyone have a source that's less than $50 shipped to the US? And I've read (here on FPN and elsewhere) that the Kobe #7 Kaikyo Blue is similar, but has that been discontinued? I can't find it anywhere.

I've been looking for a blue black that lays down dark but has some sheen, but no teal and little purple. It looks like the Pilot Shin-kai might be the easiest to get.

Thanks for the review. The Bung Box 4B looks great. Does anyone have a source that's less than $50 shipped to the US? And I've read (here on FPN and elsewhere) that the Kobe #7 Kaikyo Blue is similar, but has that been discontinued? I can't find it anywhere.

I've been looking for a blue black that lays down dark but has some sheen, but no teal and little purple. It looks like the Pilot Shin-kai might be the easiest to get.

4B is $40 at Vanness, but is out of stock at the moment. You have to check their site daily.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I don't think Kobe #7 has been discontinued, probably it's just out of production for the moment.

Kobe #38 is a nice dark blue / blue-black, maybe you should give it a go.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Enjoy,

At this point I think it's pretty fair to include blue-black as it's own color group as most retailers also list the inks that way and classify IG as IG.

DustyR, I don't have a secret source for 4B, sorry. I wish I did! I was sent a sample of it with a recent trade, and that's all I've got. I keep checking the Bungbox site, but it's OOS -- else I'd have some shipped to a friend in Japan.

BayesianPrior (awesome username!) -- thank you for sharing! The Sailor Jentle Blue Black looks very "pure" -- not much teal or other colors, is that true in person? Blue black is (obviously) my favorite color of ink and I'm so excited that you shared samples of a bunch I've never tried. :D

BayesianPrior (awesome username!) -- thank you for sharing! The Sailor Jentle Blue Black looks very "pure" -- not much teal or other colors, is that true in person? Blue black is (obviously) my favorite color of ink and I'm so excited that you shared samples of a bunch I've never tried. :D

It [sailor Jentle Blue-Black] is probably my favourite blue-black ink - not that I've tested many. It is well behaved, very lubricating, water resistant (to an extent), and low maintenance.

I suppose I would say the colour is pure, though I expect Visvamitra has done one of his brilliant chroma tests to verify. This could very much be a function of the pen and paper, but unlike the homebrew Waterman or the Diamine, the colour of the Sailor ink is consistent throughout a word. You can see in the homebrew Waterman that the tops of the ffffff are very blue and the bottoms blue-black. Likewise in the Diamine the tops are blue-black and the bottoms nearly black.

Also, Sailor has a bit of a red sheen going on :D

Edited by BayesianPrior

bayesianprior.png

Great comparison! The thing about Sailor 4B, Kobe 51, and other Sailor Bung Box and Kobe dark blues is that they look great no matter what nib. Amazing inks.

I agree with Randal6393, Sandy1, and others that IG BB inks are hard to beat.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

BayesianPrior - Augh! You've sold me. Another thing for the wish list. :)

akustyk - One day I'll get my hands on some. I'm also not sure which pens I'd use with IG, they seem to come with so many warnings! :)

BayesianPrior - Augh! You've sold me. Another thing for the wish list. :)

akustyk - One day I'll get my hands on some. I'm also not sure which pens I'd use with IG, they seem to come with so many warnings! :)

Hi,

We have this Topic: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/303839-what-pens-do-you-put-your-iron-galls-in/?p=3557407

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

ScheduleHow do we know which pens in our collection that are wet or dry? What are Lamy Safary? Pelikan M400, Visconti, Conklin, TWSBI etc.? Thanks.

Hi! This is my first time posting anything about ink... But I sat down a couple days ago and compared all my "blue black" inks and thought I'd share --

http://www.raccoonstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/snapseed-6.jpeg

This is all written on Kokuyo's binder paper, with the top pen being a Sailor Procolor 500, and the bottom pen being a Pelikan 400NN in Medium. I wanted to compare the inks with both a very dry and a very wet pen. I've noticed that many inks look pretty different at either extreme.