Waterman Ideal 0552

corgicoupe

It seems that most times I see 0552 1/2 pens talked about, but I think this is a larger model. It's 5 3/8" long and 1/2" in diameter. I replaced the sac and fixed a broken piece of the body threads for the cap. I used epoxy, and it seems to be holding. I chased the threads using a thread gauge and that seems to have cleaned them sufficiently; the cap goes on well. The body and cap have no engraved designs. The clip rivets are copper. The nib is engraved 2, and is somewhat flexible.

I read that this pen does not have a J-bar, but a different mechanism to squeeze the sac. It seems to be working fine, and I did not remove anything from the barrel when I replaced the sac. However, when I turn the pen end-for-end, I can hear something sliding in the barrel. Is this a problem, or is it just the lever fill mechanism?

This pen was given to me, so I have no reference for value. Can anyone provide an estimated value? TIA.

fpn_1454695307__waterman_ideal_024.jpg

fpn_1454695364__waterman_ideal_025.jpg

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• corgicoupe

• terim

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is a larger model .... The 0552 1/2 would be the slender version of the standard length 52. Any engraving or dents? No matter how nicely your fix turned out, a crack or missing piece in the barrel threads causes a big hit to the value.

Teri

No engraving and no dents. I had the complete piece that broke out of the threads, so it's not visible except under magnification. Value is not important, since it's not going anywhere. I just wondered for insurance purposes.

Robert Frost

I don't think there is a larger model ....

I think the OP was merely saying that this 0552 is a larger model than the 0552 1/2 that s/he usually sees discussed, which is accurate.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

The typical Waterman pressure bar arrangement does slide forward and back on the end hooks of the lever, though often the sac presses gently against the bar and prevents this movement.

Note that the clip rivets are almost certainly gold filled, with the gold layer completely polished off, leaving the brass beneath exposed, and that brass has tarnished to a coppery appearance.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

Hmmm. I remember gold plating a piece of steel once, LA my dad's dental lab, and I had to copper plate it first (according to his instructions). So, as you say, the gold plate has worn off, perhaps exposing the copper plating?

Edit... the OP is a he.

Bob

Edited by corgicoupe

Robert Frost

The pen is empty, so the sac may not be touching the pressure bar, or the replacement say is too small in diametr. I used one that I'd bought for Esterbrook Js.

Edited by corgicoupe

Robert Frost

Hmmm. I remember gold plating a piece of steel once, LA my dad's dental lab, and I had to copper plate it first (according to his instructions). So, as you say, the gold plate has worn off, perhaps exposing the copper plating?

The clip isn't steel, and it's not plated.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

The pen is empty, so the sacred may not be touching the pressure bar...

The sac won't be larger when it's filled.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

The clip isn't steel, and it's not plated.

--Daniel

I was referring to the rivets. But you are correct, they are copper, so the plating has worn off.

Robert Frost

The sac won't be larger when it's filled.

--Daniel

What is the proper size sac for this pen?

Robert Frost

I was referring to the rivets. But you are correct, they are copper, so the plating has worn off.

You've determined they're replacements? Why do you think they were plated?

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

That they were plated was a surmise. That thEye are replacements is a distinct possibility, but I have no personal information about that. Do you know if the original rivets attaching the clip to the cap were copper? That would seem quite probable. They would be soft enough to be set without deformino the cap (probably brass) and strong enough to provide a secure attachment.

If they were a later *fix*, it would have been easier to leave them as is rather than replate the whole cap just to plate the copper rivets.

Thanks for asking the questions to make me think about this. Do you know the proper sac size for this pen?

Bob

Robert Frost

The original rivet staple is not copper. You're saying the heads are copper, so that would mean that it/they are replacements.

To choose a sac, select one that slips into the barrel just brushing the pressure bar.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Also, it would not be necessary to plate the whole cap to plate the rivets.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer