The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Franklin Christoph Nibs

franklin christoph nibs masuyama

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 alaskazimm

alaskazimm

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2016 - 21:14

Do you know who makes FC's standard nibs?  Are they noticeably better than the ubiquitous Jowo and Schmidt nibs found on so many pens these days?

They are, afik, Jowo nibs. I have a Masuyama memdium stub and as far as nib characteristics go, it is practically identical to the Jowo Edison nibs that I have.

Sponsored Content

#22 Katduffy

Katduffy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 16:44

They are Jowo nib units. All Franklin-Christoph nibs are tested prior to shipping, not just the Masuyama nibs. The nib units screw right in and work with Edison and Newton pens.

#23 latetotheparty

latetotheparty

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2016 - 16:44

If you need to write very quickly, say you're taking notes in a meeting, then it will be harder to to that with a stub as opposed to a plain medium nib.  If you have to put annotations where you have little space, then a needlepoint will do the trick.  Franklin-Christoph have a returns policy that I used when I realized I wanted a full-size pen rather than a pocket.  You could order a pen with a medium nib plus a stub nib, then return the nib that you like least.  You'd have to pay for shipping of the nib back to them, but that way you get to try a couple of nibs.  I have a Panther 40 and  Marietta 20.  I love them both.  The Marietta is particularly ergonomic.  I have medium and broad nibs, which I sometimes swap between the 40 and 20 depending on my ink choice. They are both lovely and smooth and I don't feel like I missed out by buying the steel nibs rather than gold.  Good luck. 

#24 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 19:15

I have a medium italic on my FC pen but I am finding it a little on the dry side with Pilot ink.  I did just fill the pen without cleaning it out though, so perhaps that could account for it?

#25 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:30

I've never used Pilot's standard inks, but my broad Masuyama italic has been on the dry side from the start.

#26 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:44

I am not privy to Michael's or FC's thinking about the Italic Masuyama nibs, but, in general, to optimize thick/thin line difference, you want a dryish nib. Michael knows what he is doing, to say the least. If the nibs are dry (and they are) it is intentional and for a good reason. I would presume it is because they expect italic nibs just might be used to write italic text. 

David

#27 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:53

Mine is for italic-style writing - I wouldn't presume to be able to actually write a decent italic hand.  The ink I am using is Iroshizuku Shin-kai.

Also, as it is a demonstrator I notice that ink pools in the section. I guess that's normal but we just don't see it on standard pens?

#28 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:50

Ah, now I've watched the video on the F-C website.  I didn't realise that I had to grease the nib unit as well.  No wonder the ink has got everywhere. What a loon I am! :rolleyes:

#29 craigs63

craigs63

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:26

The standard EF is nice. Only slightly finer than the fine, but still smooth. I would think it could hold up to writing on any paper for your corrections.

And the cost is so low - buy two steel nibs and have some variety.

I just picked up a standard (un-customized) EF nib at the Chicago Pen Show, and used it at work last week (i.e. on cheap paper) - worked like a champ. Not as fine as I though "EF" would mean, but I'm still learning.

It was a replacement for the M nib in my (Paradise Pens) Padrino Trend, I needed something finer. Great customer service at the F-C booth, as others have said.

P5070259_zpsfsc3dqgt.jpg

#30 Takasnooze

Takasnooze

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:25

this the model 20 coke resin 14k Mike M needlepoint .....

IMG_0215_zpscyntgat5.jpg

I ordered a Masuyama steel needlepoint. Do you think the line width will be similar to the 14k needlepoint sample you shared?

#31 bh_horology

bh_horology

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2017 - 16:33

I have the steel fine italic nib and love it.  However, I had the advantage of fine-tuning the nib and customizing it to my writing style at a local pen show.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: franklin christoph, nibs, masuyama

Sponsored Content

|