Advice On Which Flagship Pen?

KostyaKev

How does this even happen? a pen that expensive with a malfunctioning refilling mechanism? What?

I guess you can call it malfunctioning. The trouble is that sometimes it does fill ok, other times you do exactly the same thing and hours later, with very little use, there is no ink (and I do sink the section in ink and wait a long time for the vacuum to do its thing). I don't know if just a small pressure out of place is what causes this or what, but I know that the Pilot 823 which uses the same system does not have any problems (and, of course, you can see the ink level). The fact is that, since you can't see the ink level, it is just a matter o luck (at least with my pen).

Don't take me wrong, I do like the HS, but it certainly is not reliable.

Edited by Lam1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KostyaKev

• flipper_gv

• Lam1

• jar

I guess you can call it malfunctioning. The trouble is that sometimes it does fill ok, other times you do exactly the same thing and hours later, with very little use, there is no ink (and I do sink the section in ink and wait a long time for the vacuum to do its thing). I don't know if just a small pressure out of place is what causes this or what, but I know that the Pilot 823 which uses the same system does not have any problems (and, of course, you can see the ink level). The fact is that, since you can't see the ink level, it is just a matter o luck (at least with my pen).

Don't take me wrong, I do like the HS, but it certainly is not reliable.

I do have a visconti traveler inkpot so it wont be too bad, but I can't stomach the idea of an expensive pen ($US600 is not cheap right?) malfunctioning on a regular basis.

Current Task Force:

Sailor Koshu-Inden Petite Blossoms, Sailor 1911L, Sailor Realo, Cross Classic Century, Faber-Castell Ambition, Pilot Cavalier, Lamy Al-star, and an entire insane asylum full of Kawecos I regret buying.

I wont be able to make a proper comment either

Plus I dont think Platino is GVfC's flagship either

Hey this coming from someone whose only flagship pen is the lamy 2000, but if you really fancy the HS design then I would openly suggest that you buy from a reputable source

Other than that I would say Pilot 845, Sailor KoP with a Nagahara nib (probably the most expensive of the 3 I named after more expensive than a Namiki Urushi type 50), Platinum Izumo are good choices either, find what you fancy and you know you will openly love for a long time

I've never even seen a Platinum before (new to fountain pens). Are the nibs on Izumo good? I think they're the same as Platinum President's.

Current Task Force:

Sailor Koshu-Inden Petite Blossoms, Sailor 1911L, Sailor Realo, Cross Classic Century, Faber-Castell Ambition, Pilot Cavalier, Lamy Al-star, and an entire insane asylum full of Kawecos I regret buying.

I've never even seen a Platinum before (new to fountain pens). Are the nibs on Izumo good? I think they're the same as Platinum President's.

Yes, the Izumo uses the President nib. It is an 18K nib rather than the 14K used on the #3776 line and on the Nakaya pens. I happen to like the Platinum family nibs slightly more than those from Sailor and much more than those from Pilot. Maybe some images might help.

Platinum Izumo between Platinum President and Montblanc 149

http://www.fototime.com/6A9091A40C77145/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CA7D9990BC292DE/large.jpg

My Website

Jar, your pictures will drive us all to bankruptcy :P . I want an Izumo badly!

KostyaKev: people say that what is expensive is relative, but I can tell you that for me $ 600 is ultra-expensive for a pen (I'm an underpaid college professor). I actually never paid that much for a pen and I'm not sure that I would pay (my most expensive is a M1000 that I paid $530, and I consider that I overpaid).

I see that you live in Canada, so I don't know how customs works for you. But perhaps it would be cheaper to get the pen from Europe (I bought mine about 8 months ago and paid ~$325 shipped). The huge majority of my pens came straight from the EU and I never had any trouble.

Jar, your pictures will drive us all to bankruptcy :P . I want an Izumo badly!

KostyaKev: people say that what is expensive is relative, but I can tell you that for me $ 600 is ultra-expensive for a pen (I'm an underpaid college professor). I actually never paid that much for a pen and I'm not sure that I would pay (my most expensive is a M1000 that I paid $530, and I consider that I overpaid).

I see that you live in Canada, so I don't know how customs works for you. But perhaps it would be cheaper to get the pen from Europe (I bought mine about 8 months ago and paid ~$325 shipped). The huge majority of my pens came straight from the EU and I never had any trouble.

Over here customs works the same way robbery works, except you still have to pay for shipping.

Current Task Force:

Over here customs works the same way robbery works, except you still have to pay for shipping.

:)

Sorry to hear that.

I guess one cannot have everything, right? Canada is an amazing country.

:)

Sorry to hear that.

I guess one cannot have everything, right? Canada is an amazing country.

Are there any sites you can recommend? All the sites I found are much more expensive even than my local B&M

Current Task Force:

Okay so it's now basically down to GVFC Intuition Platino vs Homo Sapiens. Any inputs on these two? The GVFC stands at $CAD900 and the Homo Sapiens stand at $CAD800

Current Task Force:

To me, the GVFC looks gorgeous; perhaps better than the HS. But I think the HS would be more useful in actual usage. To be fair the GVFC is a bigger "bargain" even though it's more expensive; or are the companies just messing with list prices?

Edited by KostyaKev

Current Task Force:

Just to stir the pot once again. . . Have you looked at any Bexleys? They have some piston-filling models now, if that appeals to you. Bexleys are always dependable, in my experience.

Also, as Katanankes pointed out, you could go to Edison Pen Co and have Brian Gray make you whatever kind of pen you can dream up. Edisons are fantastic.

Just to stir the pot once again. . . Have you looked at any Bexleys? They have some piston-filling models now, if that appeals to you. Bexleys are always dependable, in my experience.

Also, as Katanankes pointed out, you could go to Edison Pen Co and have Brian Gray make you whatever kind of pen you can dream up. Edisons are fantastic.

Yeah I did look into Edisons... They're just great but with the customs and everything shipping from the US is going to be a pain.

Current Task Force:

Are there any sites you can recommend? All the sites I found are much more expensive even than my local B&M

Regina Martini (http://www.martiniauctions.com/index.html ) has auctions in which the prices are very good. I didn't pay attention if she has been offering the HS recently, but I bought mine from her.

In the last few weeks she sold a couple of platinos for around 205-215 euros (I know because I'm very tempted ;) ). The M1000 are always around in her site for hard to beat prices. Sometimes she sells pens without the boxes, to reduce prices, so if this is important for you and it is not clear, ask her.

I also like La Couronne du Comte a lot (http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/index.php?language=en ), and their prices on GvFC are excellent once you discount VAT, which is 21% (for La Couronne, search online for a 10% off coupon, I don't know if I can post it here. But it is very easy to find).

In both cases communication has been exceptionally good and I'm very satisfied with the services. Of course, that is just my experience.

Have fun shopping for a new pen. And, please, let us know what you decide.

Edited by Lam1

Okay so it's now basically down to GVFC Intuition Platino vs Homo Sapiens. Any inputs on these two? The GVFC stands at $CAD900 and the Homo Sapiens stand at $CAD800

Just go to stylo downtown (mcgill or Peel station) and try both. I got a m1000 in broad there. Good service, good prices.

FYI, I really think the HS is overpriced at 800 CAD considering the shoddy build quality compared to the m1000 you can get at the same price. GvFC is almost always perfect.

Edited by flipper_gv

The only pen on your list that I have is the HS. It's one of my favorites and rarely goes out of rotation. I've never had a problem with the filling mechanism and, even with a wet 1.3mm stub nib, I get a generous amount of writing out of it. Not having an ink window was initially a little frustrating. But I've found that I can now tell by how it writes when the ink level is getting a little low. I find cleaning it very easy too. The nib unit easily unscrews from the section. So, I just unscrew the nib and flush it, then use a syringe to flush the inside of the pen. It's probably one of my fastest pens to clean.

I would love an M1000, but am uninspired by all black pens. And I already have the green striated model in an M600. I'd hate to buy it and then not use it because I find it (although not the nib, I'm sure) boring. The other pen I'm currently considering is the CONID Bulkfiller with Titanium nib. Im fascinated by its filling mechanism and the Ti nib is really supposed to be something.

Good luck deciding. Let us know which one you pick.

Remember you will not have to pay the 20% sales tax on a pen shipped from the UK. Because you are outside of the EU, dealers who know their stuff should take the sales tax off. of course, you will probably have to pay something for importing the pen into Canada, but that might take the sting out of the purchase a bit.

Just go to stylo downtown (mcgill or Peel station) and try both. I got a m1000 in broad there. Good service, good prices.

FYI, I really think the HS is overpriced at 800 CAD considering the shoddy build quality compared to the m1000 you can get at the same price. GvFC is almost always perfect.

You're from Montreal too? Yeah Stylo is my go to place for pens and things, but never asked them if they let people try pens before. I've read up a bit and it seems that quite a few people found inconsistencies and quality control problems with the HS :(

Current Task Force:

You're from Montreal too? Yeah Stylo is my go to place for pens and things, but never asked them if they let people try pens before. I've read up a bit and it seems that quite a few people found inconsistencies and quality control problems with the HS :(

That's why you really need to try the pen before. I got an Omas Paragon there once and even though every say they're always perfect the one I bought was a lemon. Couldn't get a refund because it was a clearance item and got the store credit I used for the m1000. Just ask and they'll let you at least dip the pen to try it.

If you want one flagship pen and be done with it, I don't think you will go wrong with mb 149/146, pelikan m1000/m800, or Lamy 2000 + lots of ink.

I would not consider Visconti. Go for a Nakaya, even a simple one, from nibs.com, or a Pelikan M1000 from the same source. Having John Mottishaw standing behind your purchase is worth every penny. You will not regret it.

Otherwise, your best alternative is an older 149, preferably from the '60s or '70s.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.