Atten. Pilot Iroshizu Ink Users

510wells

I recently started using a few of the Iroshizu inks and like them quite a lot.
I have heard that the bottle caps tend to sieze in place and break. Though
I've not encountered the problem myself. A little poking around discovered
that the caps from the Sheaffer Skrip bottles made in Slovina fit the Japanese
Iroshizu Ink bottles.

I haven't done a much testing other than turning the bottles with the Slovina
caps upside down and shaking them vigorously. And no leaks so far.

The only constant is change.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• linearM

• carlos.q

• 510wells

Interesting.

I suppose I'll note J. Herbin caps fit Auroras bottles. It appears to be made of the same material as Iroshizuku caps.

A few months back, I had one shatter when a picture frame fell on it. Recalling I had an empty J. Herbin bottle I tried out the cap on the unharmed Aurora bottle and lo, it fit.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I had the cap on my bottle of Tsuki-yo snap right in half on me. Heart attaackkkk! My solution was to buy an empty bottle from Goulet pens and swap caps.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

I had a cap break and found that a cap from a Pelican bottle worked as well.

Yes I found that out too but in my case it was the Pelikan cap that broke. Those style of caps seem particularly fragile around the edge of the crown for some reason.

I posted about the match a little while ago in the thread where member iwiber was looking for a new cap.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302912-need-a-favour-broken-cap-on-pilot-ink-bottle/?p=3542936

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thanks for the info. I just received my first Iroshizuku bottle a couple of days ago and was extra-careful when opening and closing it. As I have some Skrip bottles from Slovenia, I might start opening just like any other bottle now.

Iro bottle tips:

Wipe the bottle and cap threads clean after every filling.

Leave the little cloth tassel around the first thread. That way you won't have to tighten the bottle so tight.

Go slowly and carefully when opening and closing (this goes for all bottles).

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Iro bottle tips:

Leave the little cloth tassel around the first thread. That way you won't have to tighten the bottle so tight.

Thanks for the tip. I recently receive my first bottle of Iro. Kon-Peki ink. I had thought of throwing the tassel away. Now I will apply your thoughtful tip!

Thanks for this. None of mine have broken yet, but as they're the only ones that seem to seize up and become a nightmare to open, I am sure it's a matter of time.

With respect to Pelican caps, are you talking about the ones one the Edelstein ink bottles? or the standard Pelican ones or are they the same? (I only have Edelstein ones.)

Thanks interesting even though none of my Iro caps have any problems. (Slovenia?).

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Iro bottle tips:

I also clean the cap too before I close the bottle, to be sure. So far I have no problem with opening it again.

I have mostly had Parker Quink bottle tops 'sieze up' on me. I just turn the bottle upside down and run warm water from the tap into the threads between the bottle and cap. The water loosens up (dissolves) the ink. I then turn it right side up, put it down on the bench, and using an (old, no longer used) tea towel open the lid carefully. Because of the seal in the lid of the cap, the water doesn't get in to the ink. Once you have the lid off, gently wipe bottle and cap threads with damp tissues to remove the built-up ink.

You WILL end up with coloured fingers. But that is part of the joy of fountain penning.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I have mostly had Parker Quink bottle tops 'sieze up' on me. I just turn the bottle upside down and run warm water from the tap into the threads between the bottle and cap. The water loosens up (dissolves) the ink. I then turn it right side up, put it down on the bench, and using an (old, no longer used) tea towel open the lid carefully. Because of the seal in the lid of the cap, the water doesn't get in to the ink. Once you have the lid off, gently wipe bottle and cap threads with damp tissues to remove the built-up ink.

You WILL end up with coloured fingers. But that is part of the joy of fountain penning.

I use that method for my Waterman ink, which 'seizes up' more than any ink I have in my stash.

Another note on Iro bottles: I dropped a full bottle of Shin kai on a maple floor and the only thing that broke was the cap. But of course, the bottle emptied all over my floor. :crybaby:

Thanks for the tip. I recently receive my first bottle of Iro. Kon-Peki ink. I had thought of throwing the tassel away. Now I will apply your thoughtful tip!

I thought the main purpose of the tassel is for catching drips.

I've had one Iroshizuku lid crack on me. I just swapped it with the lid from an empty that I'd kept.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg