The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Friction-Fitted Vs Screw-In Nib Assemblies In Eyedroppers -- Is There A Difference?

eyedropper

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Forsooth

Forsooth

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2016 - 20:41

I'm sure this has been addressed previously, but after a search I was unable to locate a thread.

My question is about nib assemblies in eyedropper (ED) pens.

Just considering ED pens, is the friction-fitted nib and feed assembly in any way superior to (or inferior to) the cartridge/converter screw-in nib and feed unit?

Is one inherently better than the other?

Thanks.

Edited by Forsooth, 03 February 2016 - 20:43.

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2016 - 21:40

The screw in nib assembly just means that you can easily change the nib, if you want to.
The friction fit feed+nib will require you to remove the section from the body and knock out the feed to remove the nib.

However, unless replacement nib assemblies are available, it does not make a difference.

Edited by ac12, 03 February 2016 - 21:40.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 23-25, 2019 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 Forsooth

Forsooth

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2016 - 00:11

OK, thank you.  My hope was that the C/C unit, with it's adaptation for filling, would make a somewhat better solution for conversion to an eyedropper.

Good to know.

#4 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:36

A friction fit feed, if from a sac pen, will feed no different than from a sac.
Describe the pens for me, because I think I am not thinking of the same pens that you are thinking of.

Edited by ac12, 04 February 2016 - 01:36.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 23-25, 2019 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#5 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:04

Ranga pens these days can be bought as both eyedropper and cartridge/converter; if you go for the second option (which often doubles the cost of the pen) you have the additional option of not using the cartridge or converter, thus getting a pen you can fill three ways instead of just one. Note that this is regardless of the question of whether the nib & feed are friction-fit or screw-in. Ranga's, AFAIK, are all friction-fit. The difference is in the feed, which for the cartridge/converter option has the nipple that connects the ink reservoir, while the simpler system just sticks the end of the feed into the ink.

Having used both types of feed in eyedropper-filled pens, I have not observed any difference in flow between the two. If obstructed by for example solid matter (fibers, or dye, etc) both systems will exhibit skipping, hard starting, etc. And I often find the simpler nipple-less pens easier to clean by blowing water through them, although that may be pure prejudice. One thing is certainly superior in the simpler system: when you prime the pen the effect lasts longer.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#6 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2016 - 14:57

ED user here. Though I've used both filling systems with NO difficulty. They are both just fine, but I prefer the screw in unit. I can assure myself of a good seal by adding a little grease to the threads when I screw in the unit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyedropper

Sponsored Content

|