Modern Day Pelikano And Its Converter Incompatibility

arcadeflow

Dear fellow members,

I've got a modern Pelikano (not the Jr.) in the past few months and I was so surprised by how it was unable to take an international converter that I got absolutely disappointed by the pen.

I searched about it and a lot of people claimed the same that I noticed. It was meant for long cartridges with a loose fit, so that the barrel will keep it in place by pressuring it when screwed in. A lot of short international cartridges might not fit well. It seems Pelikan cartridges have a better fit.

What were they thinking? Does this happen to every affordable Pelikan pen? With all the children and youth Pelikan pens? I wouldn't have touched the pen if I knew they were like this, so maybe this will help keep people informed. You buy any Lamy pen and they have a great fit to their converters and cartridges, and this one has neither or that. I sure don't want a pen that might let the cartridge fall off if I open the barrel to check my ink level.

Pelikan, are you listening? Stop this madness!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arcadeflow

• sargetalon

• hari317

• amberleadavis

Sorry ArcadeFlow, I have found the same problem. Sigh.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This has always been the way of Pelikan. I have never had a cartridge fall off but the fit is dependent on the back of the barrel applying pressure to keep the cartridge or converter on the nipple. The system must be functional as it has remained in place and untouched for decades. There is a trick to it with short cartridges in that you have to use two at a time. You can read more about it here;

http://thepelikansperch.com/2015/07/13/pelikan-cartridge-converter-fit/

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

This has always been the way of Pelikan. I have never had a cartridge fall off but the fit is dependent on the back of the barrel applying pressure to keep the cartridge or converter on the nipple. The system must be functional as it has remained in place and untouched for decades. There is a trick to it with short cartridges in that you have to use two at a time. You can read more about it here;

I read your post with interest.

I have a few Cartridge Pelikans and I have not observed the loose fit phenomenon. In fact even the new Stola III takes cartridges well(snugly) and the P380 that have in my pocket today is fitted with a K5 which again fits very well. It is possible there is indeed a generic problem, but I have been lucky.

The purpose of my post here is to share that the P200 feeder you show in the blog post, when inserted into the section will be surrounded by a hollow piercing tube. So the tube diameter that enters the cartridge (for piercing it and to provide a mechanical anchor) will be wider than the thin projection on the feeder(this projection on feeder serves to make the passage of air into the cartridge easier).

HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I saw in Pelikan's Instagram pictures of the new Pelikano. It is basically the same pen, but they added an ink window and changed the color of the section for clear to the color of the pen body. There is also a band in the aluminum cap of the color of the pen body.

Wondering if they changed the cartridge/converter fit.

Interesting read. But if the converter needs the pressure of the screwed in body to stay in place, how can we use it as a converter? The section will probably fall inside the ink vial. The K5 won't even fit the Pelikano in my experience. I'm afraid to buy any Pelikan C/C pen because of this.

Interesting read. But if the converter needs the pressure of the screwed in body to stay in place, how can we use it as a converter? The section will probably fall inside the ink vial. The K5 won't even fit the Pelikano in my experience. I'm afraid to buy any Pelikan C/C pen because of this.

That has not been my experience. The fit isn't overly secure but I've never had a converter fall off the pen while filling it. I only use the Pelikan branded converters so I can't speak about the K5.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

That has not been my experience. The fit isn't overly secure but I've never had a converter fall off the pen while filling it. I only use the Pelikan branded converters so I can't speak about the K5.

The Pelikan converter should be a K5, unless they changed the nipple what would be oddly strange in a way we could say Pelikan uses proprietary C/C.