My Experience With Zenmarket And Japanese Fps!

margheriti

Hi guys,

I wanted to do a quick review of my experience with the wonderful people over at zenmarket.jp, who've helped me amass a significant portion of my growing collection, especially with regards to their help in proxying some Japanese pens to me over here in Canada. I've had such a wonderful experience with them that I think they deserve some recognition, and I think some of you here on FPN would probably have good use of their service.

For those who don't know, Zenmarket is an online proxy / buying service based in Japan, that helps people outside of Japan purchase from Japanese stores, like Rakuten or Yahoo. I've found some of my vintage Japanese pens through them, and even my holy grail Nakaya (used, of course).

If I had to pick three things I love about them, it would have to be:

1. BRILLIANT customer service.

The people behind the proxy service are very, very helpful. They've been very accommodating with me for things like:

• Special requests for packaging an item for shipment to me;
  • Taking photos of items, and taking note of things I'd like in the photos like close-ups of pen details or the nib;
  • Answering questions regarding items, or relaying questions to a seller; and,
  • Helping me out with technical issues.

Their messaging service lets you talk directly with customer service, and they reply in a very friendly manner and very promptly, as well. I've heard of how much attention is paid to customer service in Japan, and you really get to experience this with your interaction with them.

They pay really close attention to each client, and I feel like they really try to get to know you. Case in point, I remember a time when they spotted a good deal for me with a computer peripheral, and informed me of it based on my past purchases. They go out of their way to help you, without you even knowing you wanted that help!

In fact, they're customer service is so great, that I would recommend them based on this point alone, even if I weren't privy to the two points below.

2. Very easy to use interface.

Their website is set up so that it makes it really easy to purchase. You have your central account dashboard, which lets you manage and see your purchases, as well as your funds. Then you have tabs to several different main websites to purchase from like Amazon.jp or Rakuten. This user friendly interface ties in really well with their customer service, and combined, the two make it really easy to find what you're looking for. It's clean and bright, and a joy to use.

3. Affordable!

This was what drew me to Zenmarket in the first place, as opposed to other Japanese proxy services. I came for the fees, but stayed for the customer service. While most other services charge 10% of the items price, they charge a fixed 300 JPY, whatever the item you buy. My Nakaya that I bought through them was approximately $500, so that would've been a whopping $50 just on service charge alone with other services, but with them, I only had to pay $3 for the service fee. You really get your value for money.

Other plus points:

• They pack their items really well. I've had some shipments with multiple pens, and while they came in a bigger box, each pen was individually wrapped in bubble wrap to ensure safe travels.
  • Quick shipping! I've gotten one shipment in 3 days from Japan to Canada, even when some shipments I've gotten from the US, located on the same continent, have taken 2 weeks or more.
  • Some items are cheaper to buy directly in Japan! Like Tomoeriver paper is $8 for a stack of 100 on amazon.jp. Granted, shipping it over may be expensive if you're just paying for the paper alone, but it definitely becomes worth it if you're getting the paper, some iroshizuku and a couple of vintage Japanese fountain pens.

----------------

Whether you're on the hunt for vintage or new, Sailor or Pilot, pen or ink, I recommend you check out their service. I'm hoping I don't sound too preachy by saying this, but I promise you won't regret it.

Edited by margheriti

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• margheriti

• da vinci

• dasXFnib

• 25_15_3

Informative post thanks :)

Will these people act as a personal shopper eg please find me a used Nakaya for £50? :D on a serious note I am not sure if I could identify what I want to buy from a Japanese auction site and would need some help searching too.

Can't help but ask what Japanese pens you bought...

Informative post thanks :)

Will these people act as a personal shopper eg please find me a used Nakaya for £50? :D on a serious note I am not sure if I could identify what I want to buy from a Japanese auction site and would need some help searching too.

Can't help but ask what Japanese pens you bought...

I buy a lot of vintage pens from Japan, particularly ones that are unique looking. I've sold some under my classifieds that were not really suiting to my writing style, or I just bought to save on shipping costs with the plan to resell here.

They will help you be a personal shopper for sites like Amazon and Rakuten, where they'll find the cheapest/fastest deals for you, but for auction sites, you're on your own. I have had good luck browsing there, though, and have managed to snag 2 Nakaya's at fairly decent prices. At least, decent here in Canada, but I'm pretty sure they were market price in Japan. Definitely not 50 GBP, but not as expensive as buying from nibs.com.

They will, however, help you with any questions if you find an item in particular that you want to know more about, on an auction site.

Edited by margheriti

Just signed up!!

Looks like a worthwhile site.....I need to take time to really "navigate" through it, though.....

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Just signed up!!

Looks like a worthwhile site.....I need to take time to really "navigate" through it, though.....

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

It's not too hard once you try :D Pretty easy to use.