Parker 51 Mechanical Pencil Questions

Waltzkon

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this topic, but I had a few questions about the Parker 51 Mechanical Pencil. I'm no stranger to fountain pens, I've already made good progress in the repair of the Parker 51 fountain pen I received with the pencil, but I can't seem to figure out how the pencil operates.

I know at the very least it's the push type. The only thing I've done to it so far is remove the cap, eraser, and the metal piece that holds the eraser. I took out the eraser because it was all rotted and was pretty solidly stuck in the pencil; I had to dig it out with a knife.

The first question I had is how do you get the cap secured to the end of the pencil? The cap will fit over but it never has any secure grip or snap that keeps it in place. It pretty easily slides off pretty easily on its own, to the extent that the clip is useless. Do you need an eraser in the pencil for the cap to stay on? Or is there another issue that I may have caused, or was already there?

The second question is how exactly does the lead feed? I'll probably figure this one on my own as soon as I get a hold of some .9 mm pencil lead, but right now without any I'm a little confused with how the lead feeds. I'm used to cheap Bic mechanical pencils that have a sort of click when you use them, with the part that holds the lead snapping back up. The Parker doesn't exhibit that, but is that a mechanical issue, or is that just how the mechanism works?

Thank you for any help. I normally have luck looking around on the internet for information about most things, but, while there is a decent amount of historical information about the 51 Pencil out there, there is practically none on the actual operation of the pencil. Also, if you want any pictures/videos of the pencil, let me know. I would have already done so but I don't have the time at the moment.

Regards,

Waltzkon

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• pajaro

• Waltzkon

• ajcoleman

Top Posters In This Topic

The cap is a friction fit; sounds like your might have worn somewhat. The lead feeds by pushing and releasing the cap. There's no click.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

As said above, the pen cap is a friction fit on the pencil, and the eraser is not required to hold the cap on. There is a liner inside the cap that allows the cap to fit snugly. If your cap is so loose that you can't pull the pencil out of a shirt pocket by the cap, I would suggest that the cap itself is damaged or missing that liner. A replacement cap may be in order. You might try wrapping some tape around the pencil below the eraser to snug it up, but I suspect that would be a temporary fix at best.

The pencil does not click like most modern pencils. Depressing the pencil extends the three prongs beyond the tip allowing them to open to the point that 0.9mm lead may slide freely out if the pencil is held point down. There is no rubber grommet to hold the lead as in a Pentel pencil for example. If the lead is extended the while held horizontally, the motion pushes the lead out a millimeter or so and the lead does not retract when the pencil is released. It sounds a bit flakey but works well in practice.

Standard modern 60mm long 0.9 mm lead works fine in these pencils, though the pieces are a bit longer than what was originally sold with the pencil. A new full length piece is usable but does not fully retract into the pencil. I typically break the lead in half before using it.

One last tip. The eraser found on a disposable Bic pencil is about the perfect size to serve as a replacement eraser.

I hope you get the pencil working to your satisfaction. I have used mechanical pencils for years, and these are among the best, providing classic good looks, a comfortable feel, and a solid mechanism that firmly holds the lead.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

Depressing the pencil extends the three prongs beyond the tip allowing them to open to the point that 0.9mm lead may slide freely out if the pencil is held point down. There is no rubber grommet to hold the lead as in a Pentel pencil for example. If the lead is extended the while held horizontally, the motion pushes the lead out a millimeter or so and the lead does not retract when the pencil is released. It sounds a bit flakey but works well in practice.

This is incorrect. In a properly-functioning cap-actuated ("clicker", "repeater") Parker "51" pencil, when the cap is depressed, the clutch will extend forward a bit as will the lead, and the clutch will open; when the cap is released, the clutch will retract and again clamp, but the lead will be kept largely in its new more-forward position during the mechanism's retraction by a two-jawed pincer-like copper brake that has a ratchet-like action. This lead-advancement process occurs regardless of the orientation of the pencil.

This mechanism is one of the most failure-prone pieces of apparatus in the world of top-line writing instruments from across the ages, in my experience. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that more than half the "51" repeater pencils don't work anymore.

---Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Some of the pencils of later issue are twist action. My set bought in 1970 had a pencil where you turn the cap to advance or retract the lead. This pencil worked like the pencils with Vacumatic 51 sets. Lost the pencil some time back.

I have had a number of 51 pencils of both types and some had a metal liner inside the cap to make it fit, and some did not. I found that I couldn't necessarily switch caps between pencils.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hello,

Thanks to all for the information and replies. If I've read everything correctly, it seems that my particular pencil does exhibit a few issues. With proper .9 mm it does tend to just let the lead fall through the pencil, stopping just before falling out when held vertically. Also, the issue with the cap not fitting firmly on the pencil still exists. I will be look into repairing the pencil, but I don't intend on using it much. It, along with the matching fountain pen and ballpoint, came from a close family member, and I'd like to keep it as original as possible and without major modification.

However, I will definitely be looking it either getting another or similar quality pencil for daily use. I've been using fountain pens regularly for a few years now, but have never looked into getting a nice mechanical pencil. Using this Parker really give a nice experience, even with it's faults. Much better than the plastic bics I normally find myself with. I fear that my wallet will soon have a pencil shaped hole in it...

Thanks,

Waltzkon

A 51 pencil is not an expensive item. The easiest thing to do would be replace the mechanism.

If you have a chance post a picture. I know of someone that has a supply of parts should you need something.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hello,

Thanks to all for the information and replies. If I've read everything correctly, it seems that my particular pencil does exhibit a few issues. With proper .9 mm it does tend to just let the lead fall through the pencil, stopping just before falling out when held vertically. Also, the issue with the cap not fitting firmly on the pencil still exists. I will be look into repairing the pencil, but I don't intend on using it much. It, along with the matching fountain pen and ballpoint, came from a close family member, and I'd like to keep it as original as possible and without major modification.

However, I will definitely be looking it either getting another or similar quality pencil for daily use. I've been using fountain pens regularly for a few years now, but have never looked into getting a nice mechanical pencil. Using this Parker really give a nice experience, even with it's faults. Much better than the plastic bics I normally find myself with. I fear that my wallet will soon have a pencil shaped hole in it...

Thanks,

Waltzkon

What!! You got a ballpoint too! Lucky you.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The obvious questions is all secure with your pencil , sound like a push cap mechanism

Make sue the inside is completely free of old lead while holding tip up push the cap down causing the clutch to come forward and spread , using a long needle , hatpin push it up the opening and move in and out a few times.

Make sue the forward lead come is tighten to the barrel , your lead may be too thin try a few different ones but careful not to over exert a lead resistant to go in.

Hope this helps

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today