The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

First Attempt At Making A Journal, Using A Cereal Box And Coptic Binding

journal diy creative binding coptic

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gamingoodz

gamingoodz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:59

After seeing some of the cool journals that people made in the classifieds section that they were selling I really wanted one.. But I don't have much cash and I'm not really the type of person to pay for something without trying to do it myself first. I knew that mine wouldn't be nearly as nice as the ones on here but I would be happy if it was at least "ok" for my first try. 

I went out and got some supplies and started binge watching YouTube tutorials lol. 

I decided to use a cereal box for my cover as I didn't have any chipboard and didn't want to spend any more money than I already had. So the cover was made from a cereal box and the pages are HP Premium Laser jet 32lb paper that I made a template for on the computer and printed out onto each page to put lines and the data on it. 

If I was to do this again (which I will someday) I would pay more attention to the grain of the paper as my cover warped some. I would also try to be neater and I'm sure with practice they would turn out better the more I made. 

I've never made anything like this before, I'm pretty much the opposite of someone that would make a journal. But I've started looking at life differently since battling my demons years back and I've expanded my hobbies and interests quite a bit. (Which is also how I got into fountain pens) This is also the first time I've ever kept or used a journal so it's been interesting and I like having somewhere to keep a record of my day. 

IMG_20160201_213411.jpg

IMG_20160201_213353.jpg

IMG_20160201_213437.jpg

IMG_20160201_213500.jpg

IMG_20160201_213523.jpg

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

Nathaniel Branden

Sponsored Content

#2 stonezebra

stonezebra

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:57

I'm no expert but I think that's very nicely done, your stitching is remarkably even for a first-time project. Well-done. I love the cover.

#3 GatzBcn

GatzBcn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:01

Well, I think it looks really well, specially since this is your opera prima!! Good job!!! :) :)

You are welcome to visit my blog: http://gatzbcn.blogspot.com/ and that is my shop: https://www.gatzbcn.com/shop

#4 jabberwock11

jabberwock11

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:06

Excellent job. I would never have guessed that this was your first try at making something like this, it looks great.

#5 TMLee

TMLee

589 crafted ... one at a time ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:15

Well done !

It looks great :thumbup:

With regards to warping, you may want to try glueing two pieces together to form one cover.

Each one glued in cross grain pattern would be even better, I think. :)

Glue as dry as possible.

Too much and too wet glue worsens warpage.

Enjoy the crafting :D

#6 drv1913

drv1913

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:44

Nice job! It certainly looks better than my first attempt at bookmaking.

#7 mwpannell

mwpannell

Who? What?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:50

Yes, well done. Very nice.

#8 Rose Nibs

Rose Nibs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:36

The cereal boxes over here are covered in colourful pictures of corn flakes, not robed aliens from a distant galaxy in black and white. Modern marketing, I guess. Seriously, nice work.

#9 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:20

Very cool! I think the stitching would be 'my' most difficult part to do at all.

#10 gamingoodz

gamingoodz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2016 - 23:07

Thank you all for the kind words. It was pretty interesting making it, the PVA glue dries quicker than I would have expected I would say that was what gave me the most trouble. The most time consuming part though was either folding each piece of paper in half or the stitching part. 

The cereal boxes over here are covered in colourful pictures of corn flakes, not robed aliens from a distant galaxy in black and white. Modern marketing, I guess. Seriously, nice work.

Hehe the box I used was a regular cereal box I but since they are pretty thin I covered the cereal box cardboard in some cardstock paper that I printed that design onto. It made it look nice of course but also made it a lot stiffer than just the plain cereal box board. 

Edited by gamingoodz, 03 February 2016 - 23:07.

Nathaniel Branden

#11 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:18

Very nice and inspirational. I am trying my hand at saddle stitch book binding and am getting better. My best efforts I will use as journals. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

#12 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:30

Nice work! I want to attempt something similar one of these days. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

#13 thomasrhee

thomasrhee

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2016 - 17:51

Well done!

#14 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:12

Nice job. I love the cover design.

#15 Miz Black Crow

Miz Black Crow

Inksperimentrix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2016 - 15:25

That's quite lovely! Congratulations on your beautiful baby notebook! May I ask to what purpose you intend to put this lovely work of art?

Pens: TWSBI Diamond 580-AL (M), TWSBI Eco (M)

Lamy Safari { Vista (M); Charcoal (M); Charcoal (1.1mm SI)},

Noodler's Ahab (Cardinal Darkness, Blue Poseidon Pearl, Clear Demo, King Philip Purple Demo)

Retro 51 Tornado EXT in Lincoln (copper) (M)

Inks: Noodler's: 54th Massachusetts, Apache Sunset, Red Black, BSiARIcelandic Minty Bathwater, Lexington Grey, Liberty's Elysium, Old Manhattan Blackest Black

"an' it harm none, | Primum Non Nocere | do what ye will."
l.png

#16 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:06

Great job!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#17 oshizemi

oshizemi

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 20:40

Very nice! You're inspiring me to get back at journal and card making. Definitely a soothing hobby.
"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

#18 gamingoodz

gamingoodz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 00:46

First, Thank you all for the awesome kind words. I've never really been an "artsy" or "crafty" person. I've always been more at home covered in motor oil or setting up new computer networks. Since getting into fountain pens though I've learned to appreciate the slower more laid back activities and this is something I wanted to try out. 

That's quite lovely! Congratulations on your beautiful baby notebook! May I ask to what purpose you intend to put this lovely work of art?

I use it as a daily journal. When I made it that's the plan I had originally for it so I designed some pages on the computer and printed them out onto HP premium laser jet paper. The paper is very thick but its nice because it feels more substantial and I don't have to worry about bleed through. I tried to put enough pages in it for over a half a year, so each page is one "day" with each physical page being 2 days since its front and back. I've never kept a journal until I made this but always thought it would be interesting to do so. So I set out on this project from the start to make a journal because I seen some nice ones in the forums here and was inspired. I'm a very forgetful person and I'm also older now at 30 years old and I am back in school for a degree in Computer network administration and as I get older I think about my life more and a journal seemed like something that would be nice to get my thoughts out and what I did that day. 

Nathaniel Branden

#19 DriftingSands

DriftingSands

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:59

Looks great for a first try. As someone that has made my own leather journals, this makes me think I need to add coptic binding to my list of skills.

#20 Gaangel

Gaangel

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:58

Beautiful work. I love the cover designs. Keep practicing.

Esther

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, diy, creative, binding, coptic

Sponsored Content

|