Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Snoutmol

• jar

• Glenn Atkins

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I used to think that the dreaded nib creep was mostly a sign of demons afoot but that it wouldn't interfere with writing so long as the Ink Putti put down their fretless 5-string banjos, trombones and accordions then got on with the task at hand.

Of late I am concerned that for pens with inlaid/inset/shrouded/hooded/conical nibs, clean-up and routine maintenance may well be an issue: Just where does that ink creep? And is there a need to modify technique / frequency? Let alone issues with pens known to be a clean-up challenge.

I recently expressed my thoughts on this matter in my wee Review of the exceptional N54M which were expanded upon by Members' follow-on Replies @ https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/255965-noodlers-54-massachusetts/?p=2825711

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Of late I am concerned that for pens with inlaid/inset/shrouded/hooded/conical nibs, clean-up and routine maintenance may well be an issue: Just where does that ink creep? And is there a need to modify technique / frequency? Let alone issues with pens known to be a clean-up challenge.

Gah, I know. How does one clean out ink that has creeped under a hood? Specifically that of a Lamy 2000. :)

Gah, I know. How does one clean out ink that has creeped under a hood? Specifically that of a Lamy 2000. :)

Hi,

I don't have am yet to acquire an L2K so I don't have first hand experience. But ...

After the usual clean-up to flush the ink path (nib+feed and barrel), consider a longish active soak of the section, swishing the pen about every few minutes.

Then a pointed stream of water upwards under the hood.

Followed by a gentle back-flush. For this technique I slip a length of soft surgical tubing over the section without touching the nib to form a loose seal that allows out-flow, (no clamps or rubber mallets required), then run a gentle stream of water, usually from a siphon, over the nib. One might experiment with the piston position, though I think that with the piston up there might be some circulation/gurgling that would free captive ink.

(I came upon the back-flow technique when cleaning-up a found-in-the-wild capillary fill Parker 61.)

If dealing with a persistent ink, then an ultrasonic cleaner should do the trick.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

For me, nib creep if left too long becomes nib crud. When that happens, the flow becomes drier in my pens. A quick rinse under the tap fixes it though.