The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Jammed Dialog 3

dialog 3 lamy jammed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2016 - 17:23

Hey guys

Any advice on a jammed Dialog 3? I purchased this pen maybe about 2 years ago. It has always leaked into the front of the barrel, and I have tried to clean and dry it as much as possible with rolled up paper towels. Otherwise I remember it as a great writing instrument with a VERY wet and juicy fine nib that writes like a medium. After a few fills, I have gone on to other pens and this pen has stayed stored, cleaned and unused.

Fast forward to today, I returned to try and use it but the mechanism is completely jammed shut. There is absolutely no way I can twist the barrel to reveal the nib. Should I send the pen in for repairs or is the pen too far gone and should be written off?

Sponsored Content

#2 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:52

Sounds like caked ink near the "door". I would unscrew the end, remove (unscrew) the nib-unit with converter and flush the outer hull with warm water (that's what Lamy advises.)

If that does not work right away, soak it for a while in warm water.

If that still does not work, bring it to the shop. Lamy is good at service!

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#3 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 933 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2016 - 17:22

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it before it goes back to Lamy.

#4 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 933 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:48

RMN it  actually worked! Thanks so much.

#5 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 14,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:51

RMN it  actually worked! Thanks so much.

:D

~

~

#6 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 933 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:31

I just wanted to let everyone know how to deal with this issue if it ever happened to you.

I started with a completely jammed Dialog 3 that I could not even twist open. I was so despondent just a couple days ago because I either had to send the pen back to Lamy or simply toss the pen. Now it's opening and closing smoother than a factory fresh pen.

Thanks so much to RMN for suggesting soaking the cap in hot water. I let the cap sit in the hot water overnight. That helped to free up the mechanism to the point where the cap started to budge. However there was a spot where the mechanism was still sticking and it was the point when the nib was just starting to emerge from the pen.

I decided to try some silicone grease knowing it's our cure all for any stubborn FP problems!  I applied just a smidge on the revolving spherical door because I could still see hints of dried ink. Twisting it after a few times to see whether that had any effect, it seemed to have smoothed out the sticky bit. I applied just a little more, and now it's smooth as butter!

Happy :D

Edited by gerigo, 05 February 2016 - 01:32.

#7 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 14,119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:22

Great, thx for the update!

Hope I won't need it.... :D

D.ick

~

~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dialog 3, lamy, jammed

Sponsored Content

|