Which Japanese Pen Is The Best Value?

Margana

If I were looking to take advice from this thread (but I'm not buying a Japanese pen just now), I should doubtless narrow the field to the one pen whose name has cropped up time and time again -- Pilot 3776!

I think Pilot can expect a lawsuit from Platinum :-)

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Margana

• Pendel

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pilot 3776!

<sniparoonie>

Slightly puzzled...

Yep, you and me both, sunbeam... :D

And the cheap Pilot Elite situation sounds a bit like saying you can have a Parker GB Duofold for a similar amount. Of course you can, if you're in the country of manufacture, know exactly what you're looking at, and don't mind being a) Patient, and b ) Kissing some frogs, and c) Ignoring any shipping costs. A Parker GB Duofold is waaaaaaay better value than any Japanese pen from where I'm sitting. But for Japanese I still say the Platinum #3776C, even if it is made by Pilot... ;)

If I were looking to take advice from this thread (but I'm not buying a Japanese pen just now), I should doubtless narrow the field to the one pen whose name has cropped up time and time again -- Pilot 3776!

Er, was that a typo, and did you mean Platinum 3776?

To suggest that any Sailor KOP (even the humble ebonite version), Nakaya or Danitrio is good <value for money> seems misguided to me, however: they are (in my books) definitely top-end pens! Hardly names/brands to put forward for someone searching for best bang-for-buck...but there we are: we all have our own perspective!

Slightly puzzled...

Well, I consider those pens (especially Nakaya and Danitrio) to be more than just pens. I consider Nakayas and Danitrios to be works of art in addition to being pens, and their prices reflect that. As for the KOP, well, okay, they don't have some of the ornate work that would make it a work of art, but it's certainly a high-end pen that compares favorably with similar pens from other brands (Montblanc, etc.).

Yep, you and me both, sunbeam... :D

And the cheap Pilot Elite situation sounds a bit like saying you can have a Parker GB Duofold for a similar amount. Of course you can, if you're in the country of manufacture, know exactly what you're looking at, and don't mind being a) Patient, and b ) Kissing some frogs, and c) Ignoring any shipping costs. A Parker GB Duofold is waaaaaaay better value than any Japanese pen from where I'm sitting. But for Japanese I still say the Platinum #3776C, even if it is made by Pilot... ;)

Nah. 18k Elites are in abundance. If it's not Pilot you can get an Elite clone from Platinum or Sailor for cheap or cheaper. All you need is some pen knowledge.

#Nope

It has to be the pilot namiki falcon for me. Nice pen with the ability to flex when you feel like it and the price point is also affordable for such a pen.

<Er, was that a typo, and did you mean Platinum 3776?>

Of course I did, Lou; but -- not to worry: they both begin with -P...!! (I got that much right -- right?) :D

A bit different, but I would say it's my Prera with Plumix nibs. I bought the Prera with a regular medium nib for €19, and got a Plumix set with one barrel and three different sections and italic nibs (m, b, bb) for another €15. All of the nibs write very well, and I got a solid pocket pen with four different nib options for €34. Not bad.

<Er, was that a typo, and did you mean Platinum 3776?>

Of course I did, Lou; but -- not to worry: they both begin with -P...!! (I got that much right -- right?) :D

Mistakes happen, it's okay. :)

I do love my #3776... It's my second favorite pen only to my Pilot Custom 823.

The "best value" Japanese pen has to be the one that you do not buy. You have saved every penny!

But if you are going to HAVE TO spend some money, then the Prera.

In the purely bargain (inexpensive sense of the word) I have to mention the Platinum Balance (steel medium nib) for about $32 on Amazon. surprisingly smooth, and a good size in the hand. :thumbup:

Now, as to the marriage of all factors, i cannot pick just one of my Pilots/Namikis, Platinums or Sailors.

But, if pressed to pick from mine :closedeyes:

Pilot/Namiki Elabo/Falcons, (sef, sf. sm. sb) especially the sf.

Pilot Custom 742 wa

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 fm

Sailor 1911L's, m & z

Edited by Moynihan

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

On the cheap end, the Metropolitan. I prefer the Prera, but on a strict bang for the buck consideration, the Metro is a better value.

On the gold nib front, it entirely depends if you are buying gray market or not. Proper US distribution, the Falcon is a better value than the oft-mentioned 3776, 74, or 91. Gray market, and the positions flip, since the Falcon is seemingly priced closer to it's home market for the US, and thus doesn't get all that big of a discount. So, Amazon or from directly overseas? 3776, 74, 91 are all great buys! Goulet Pens? I'd get the Falcon over the other three.

I agree with everything above, both in terms of "value" being a relative term (i.e. value for money vs. the value each of us as individuals places on a pen) and in agreeing with many of the suggestions: Pilot Metropolitan; Platinum 3776; Pilot C74 etc.

I also think the Platinum Maki-e ($115 via Amazon in the US) represents a great value, especially with its slightly springy 18K nib.