Is It Recommended To Fly With Ink Bottles?

Peppers

Hey guys,

I am going to fly to Germany this summer and I am taking all my belongings with me. This means international overseas flight.

Would you recommend or be against taking my ink bottles inside my suitcases? Perhaps you have some experience in this area...

So far, my opinion would be 'no', as I can't think of a way to ensure that the bottles won't break or leak due to the nasty handling that checked suitcases endure. I prefer having no ink than destroying thousands of dollars of fine clothing.

What would you recommend?

I am thinking of having my brother send me a parcel with my ink bottles using regular mail after I settle down over there.

In case you are wondering. I have about 9 Iroshizuku bottles.

Thank you in advance! :D

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• Chrissy

• Peppers

• sidthecat

I would have done like I do with my after-shave bottle, put it in double plastic bags and wrap in a towel and place in the very middle of the suit case.

But sending it by courier is also an option.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I'd certainly package the bottles properly and send them by post. It may cost a little but it's infinitely safer. You may also stock up on brands that are hard to get (or too expensive) in Europe. The alternative is to leave your current inks at home and explore the wonderful world of European inks. Some manufacturers are pretty amazing.

In a few months, I may be in Germany as well. Am looking forward to trying the local offerings, that is one of the great adventures in travel. For Christmas, my daughter sent a bottle of dip pen ink, made in Venice. Really nice ink, dark and solid, smooth and flowing well. Sorta whets my whistle for the trip. Of course, I will mail a bottle or two of Noodler's and some Private Reserve there beforehand. Need something to trade, now don't I?

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

it has been rumored that Germany has fountain pen ink. :rolleyes:

The German term for "fountain pen ink" is _______________ .

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks guys!

I think I will have a clearer solution as the date approaches and decided on the many suggestions given to me. :D

On the brighter side, I have cartridges that can be a life savior if case I don't take anything with me.

I've thought about bubble wrap and bags, but I also have to consider the weight limitations imposed per suitcase.

Was browsing some youtube videos about how people handle luggage at airports and it is quite scary. They throw your stuff around as if they are getting paid to brake and damage them. Makes me wonder if the US has the most horrible flyer experience...

I would have done like I do with my after-shave bottle, put it in double plastic bags and wrap in a towel and place in the very middle of the suit case.

Would you say that your suggestion is viable with 9 bottles?

it has been rumored that Germany has fountain pen ink. :rolleyes:

Haha. Indeed, but I have around 300 USD on those 9 bottles, that is why I am asking for recommendations. Would you leave such investment to dry out stored in your mother's house for the next 5 yrs? :P

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

<snip>

I've thought about bubble wrap and bags, but I also have to consider the weight limitations imposed per suitcase.

Would you say that your suggestion is viable with 9 bottles?

<snip>

Maybe you'll have to do this procedure for each bottle. Also spread them out in several suit cases. I would not pack all 9 bottles in the same bag or even in the same suit case. Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Go to a large box hardware store. In the plumbing section look for Silicon Tape. Cut a piece apx 3/4 of the diameter of the cap, remove backing and press one end onto the bottle, gently stretch out the other end and pull, then wrap it around the edge of the lid where it meets the neck of the bottle.

I live at elevation (+1 mile above sea level) and it a bottle of ink has been open I sometimes have issues. I don't seem to have issues of sample vials coming from east and south. Vials crossing the Rockies sometimes explode everywhere.

EAT: I'm jealous. I love Germany. Lived there for 3 years and just loved every minute of it. If you manage to get to the border, down in the SW corner, cross into Metz France. Go to St Stephens. They have a giant triptypch, on purgatory, that was made by Marc Chagall. Its amazing.

Edited by webgeckos

I was in Germany last summer for vacations and I brought back with me about 8 to ten bottles of ink (can't remember anymore; ink is very cheap there). A couple of the inks came in the carry on luggage, but I dispatched 5 or 6. I bought one of these for the ones I dispatched

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Leak-Proof-Pouches-Small/dp/B004X041YY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1454315269&sr=8-6&keywords=wine+travel+bag

And put each bottle inside some socks, then inside a ziplock and finally in the wine bag, which I put in the middle of the luggage. I had no problems at all. Of course, I might just have been lucky, so keep in mind that YMMV.

I have done it before on the rare occasion when I have found some hard-to-find bottles abroad. Generally though a leak is not worth it. I rather buy bottles at my destination ( Germany will be very easy) or worst case you could mail bottles to yourself.

Also I would recommend bringing full bottles only because air pressure changes could cause a leak if there is enough air in the bottle.

I wrap anything like that in cling film - was fortunate to get a roll of the industrial stuff years ago when IBM did a server install where I worked (their big boxes would come with a roll so a fitted togetehr unit could be moved safely). Also once wrapped I make sure bottles are not exposed to a side so they have some additional padding. Having said that I've only packed away bottles of booze (in glass bottles).

On the booze bottle side - my sister came back from Rio with a suitcase full of sticky clothing. The bottle of sugar booze she'd bought for me had been smashed through the bagage handlers ....

If I'm reading this right and it's a long term (5 years?) relocation, I imagine I'd bring one bottle of my favorite ink, carefully protected in a suitcase, and then have the other 8 shipped in a package. Less worry that way.

I've moved to Germany twice, the Middle East, and Japan--mail them. The other side is to bring one, explore the local inks, and then have the rest mailed.

Buzz

I would package them in a box with bubble wrap and put them inside my suitcase. When I flew back to the UK from Florida last year I had many more than 9 ink bottles in my suitcase and not one drop was spilled.

At least you will have them with you when you arrive in Germany. If you have them sent to you, you might have to prove to German Customs that they are your property or pay 21% tax on them.

At least you will have them with you when you arrive in Germany. If you have them sent to you, you might have to prove to German Customs that they are your property or pay 21% tax on them.

Actually it's 19% ;)

But there is also a risk that you will have to pay duties and charges, if they don't believe that the in is yours.

YNWA - JFT97

If you have them sent to you, you might have to prove to German Customs that they are your property or pay 21% tax on them.

Actually it's 19% ;)

But there is also a risk that you will have to pay duties and charges, if they don't believe that the in is yours.

What?

Why do you mean they won't believe me? Isn't a customs declaration a legal document? I didn't know a customs declaration was open to debate...

Even if that is the case, I am sure that relocating to a new country should be excuse enough to justify, in case the issue is open to debate for them.

Hhaahha. :D

Edited by Peppers

Pelikan and Otter both make great boxes for traveling with liquids like inks. I think I'd ship the Noodler's and PR to Germany and buy De Atramentis while in Germany.

Do watch out for the rules about how much liquid you can fly with, or like Plistumi, you will have to drink your ink.

fpn_1361419557__tsa.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY