Suggestions For Deep, Vibrant Blue Ink

crescent2

Wow, so many great suggestions! Thanks, everyone who has replied or will do so.

First of all, OCArt, I spent an hour on the link you sent last night. What a wonderful project there, and a lot of beautiful blues to drool over. I still have a few more links to check.

This afternoon I looked at the samples I wrote last night, with different results in daylight, none of which was quite what I want:

Diamine Midnight: Darker than I want, and not enough "pop." (I think by vibrant, I meant "pop.")

Iroshizuku Tauki-Yo: Too gray and not a true blue; maybe too much green?

Private Reserve Tropical Blue: Pretty, but too much like Kon-Peki in color, so not what i want for the new ink.

Private Reserve Sonic Blue: A little too gray.

Montegrappa Blue: Looks a bit purple to me.

I went back to the Goulet site and here are the samples (too many) I'd previously put into my cart:

Diamine Majestic Blue (Comparing to the other swabs in the cart, looks grayer/duller, but it's certainly never described as such!)

Diamine Blue Velvet

P. R. DC Supershow Blue

P. R. DC Electric Blue

Noodler's Blue

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium

One more that wasn't even similar.

Visconti Blue

(And now I want to add even more!)

All of those have been suggested here, along with some other good ones to possibly add. A few are hard to obtain in the U.S. or are often sold out. Several of them look purple on my laptop screen. A few I still need to look at again. :) And, before buying a bottle, I'd really like to order samples from Goulet.

I don't want to order so many samples, so I need to narrow down my increasingly looonng list. If the Visconti and Iroshizuku are purplish, I'll mark them off. Now more questions:

Has anyone else had significant problems with Private Reserve inks? I don't have any of their inks, other than a few samples. If they are problematic, I'd rather just skip them. (Lots of fish in the sea.)

P. R. DC Electric vs. DC Supershow?

Noodler's Blue vs. Liberty's E?

Diamine Majestic Blue vs. Blue Velvet?

To the last poster, thanks for your informative suggestions. I agree that dipped pens don't write like inked ones. I was in a hurry to eliminate the samples I had, I think. Also, I did wipe parts of the nib and feed until no more ink came off, drew some ink from the nib, and then scribbled several sentences before I wrote for my samples. Ink is always so very dark when first written from a dip. I don't know if the things I did helped or not, though.

I like the way my new pen wrote, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to dare tinker with it. I'm still new to all of this. I wouldn't want to modify it to suit an ink in any case, as I like trying different inks in all of my pens from time to time.

Thanks so very, very much for everyone's suggestions and advice. Please keep them coming.

Edit to add: Not that it matters, but I'm a she.

Edited by crescent2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crescent2

• tonybelding

• sirgilbert357

• inkstainedruth

I wouldn't. Leans to purple blue which he said he doesn't want. I'd also avoid Iroshizuku Asa gao, as it is also a purple blue.

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium is an excellent suggestion though and it's my primary blue. It's a true blue - like the blue of the American flag.

Also, Sailor Bung Box Hatsukoi (First Love) is a GORGEOUS blue...it has that "jewel" like quality mentioned. Shades and sheen galore.

A few tips:

Stop dip testing to decide on inks. The pen needs to be filled normally and you need to be writing with it like you would in normal use to gauge an ink's behaviour. This varies greatly between pens and inks, but a dip test is just not always a reliable indicator of how an ink will write coming out of the pen when filled normally. You might love a given ink in a dip test and dislike it's normal performance when filling the pen normally.

If you are going to use this pen with just this one ink, buy the ink you like best and then tune your pen's nib to the ink. If you want a wet writing pen, adjust it to be so with the ink of your choice. Even dry inks can write wet in wet pens!

Visconti blue is blue to my eyes. No sign of purple or any other color.

Thanks for the recomendation about no dip testing. I wonder how do you know.

Maybe I'll not mark the Visconti off yet, then! Goulet's sample didn't look purple to me, but some of the others that were suggested did (or reviews said such). I know not to always trust computer screens, though.

If you don't already know about this website you should. It allows you to compare up to three ink color at one time. Most brands are listed, although a few newer inks are not. It is a resource I often use. Highly recommended.

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/inkchooser.php

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I grabbed a few of my blue inks mentioned about and a couple of others. If there's something you want to see more comparisons, let me know.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/augustfamily1/FPN%20Posts/430B957F-4684-4CA0-92FC-D77B74FD03E7_zpsczznskbd.jpg

As long as we're looking at pictures. . .

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/noodlers_blue_comparisons_rhodia_pad.jpg

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/got_the_blues.jpeg

Thanks for the additional suggestions!

If you don't already know about this website you should. It allows you to compare up to three ink color at one time. Most brands are listed, although a few newer inks are not. It is a resource I often use. Highly recommended.

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/inkchooser.php

This is a very handy tool, thanks. The Diamine Flower Set Cornflower is interesting, but Goulet doesn't have a sample of it. They only sell the set. I also liked American Blue. One concern is, I checked several of the inks I already own, and my computer screen's colors on this site don't look anything like the actual inks I have. No doubt it's just my screen, which doesn't make me feel very confident looking at swabs.

Another good resource is on the Goulet site, the Swab Shop under Resources. Filtering by color family, they show many blues on a page together. But I didn't take time to check the inks I own, so I don't know if my screen shows truer colors on that site or not.

Thanks so much for posting the picture replies! Many of the inks in the first one look very dark to me, but I like the Visconti Blue and the DC Supershow Blue. Even Blue Velvet looks very dark on my laptop--but I think I'll order a sample of it.

After checking swabs on several sites, I think the DC Electric Blue looks too purple and maybe too dark, so I may rule that one out unless someone corrects my assessment of it. Also, when looking at Majestic Blue next to all these others, it looks less vibrant in comparison. Maybe I should rule it out?

On the second picture reply, both the American Eel and the N. Blue appear more vibrant that the Liberty. But the Eel sure looks turquoise in the water test. In the bottom picture, I like the Noodler's Blue (American Eel). Is that line all the Eel, or some of each? Looking at swabs of these, they almost look like medium blues and not deep ones. The writing samples look deeper, however.

One strike against Noodlers, and I know this is silly, is that I despise those cheap white plastic bottles. (Don't tell Nathan.) I like glass.

Edit: A question on the Eel: Is there any disadvantage to the lubrication in the Eel?

I'm still undecided, but I think I'll order samples of Diamine Blue Velvet, P.R. DC Supershow, Visconti Blue, and either Noodler's Blue, Am. Eel, or Liberty--but which? And maybe one more? There are so many choices! Thanks for your help!

Edited by crescent2

I looked up the Levenger Cobalt--not available on their site, but amazon has it for $12. The color looks a little on the purple side to me, but I really like that bottle! I might have to buy it even if I keep looking. :) Thanks

Iroshizuku asa-gao

++11

Some have mentioned that Asa Gao is purplish blue, but I don't see it that way.

If you've only seen online samples, too, unless your monitor is calibrated to give correct colors, there can be a wide range of different expressions depending on the state of the display you might be using.

Edited by Water Ouzel

Noodler's has made a return to glass, so once retailers run out of plastic bottles, you will get glass. I'd ask before ordering to be sure you'll get glass if that's your preference.

To the OP: ah, my bad--you're a lady! It matters to me; thank you for the correction!

Anyone who has Noodler's Liberty's Elysium (or Sailor Bung Box Hatsukoi) and Iroshizuku Asa gao can write with them side by side and see why I say Asa gao is a blurple. In my tests, Visconti Blue looked almost exactly like Asa gao once both were dry (but Visconti Blue feathered just a bit and Asa gao didn't). I haven't got the time now, but maybe I can throw up a comparison later.

...Edit: A question on the Eel: Is there any disadvantage to the lubrication in the Eel?

Some eel inks gush too much for me. Noodler's Blue doesn't need the lubrication to flow more wetly: it has a nice even flow to begin with. (I haven't actually ever used Noodler's Blue Eel).

Your narrowed down list looks great.

Thanks! You people are a great help to me.

No problem on the gender thing. That generic male avatar throws me off, too.

Last night I signed up for emails at the Levenger site, and they sent a free shipping email. I clicked through, and low and behold, the Cobalt Blue was in stock for $14. I've ordered a bottle! I still think it looks purple, but I'm fascinated with the bottle and I'm sure I'll enjoy experimenting with the ink, too.

I'm so glad to hear that Noodler's is returning to glass bottles. I've seen Nathan's video with his rationale for going to plastic, but it just "ain't right" imo. I'd rather pay a dollar more for the glass.

After spending what seems like days and days gazing at Noodler's Blue, Blue Eel, and Liberty's, the Liberty is looking too turquoise-y (-ish? LOL) to me. I want a deep true blue, but one with some pop to it. After reading your replies, I think I'll mark the Eel off.

Which is a deeper blue (when written), the Noodler's Blue, or the Liberty? Sometimes even when the swabs look like a medium blue, the writing samples look very dark.

Does Liberty have a touch of turquoise?

Maybe I should look at the Aso-gao again. But I've ordered the Levenger Cobalt, and I know it's going to be somewhat purplish. So I definitely don't want another purple-blue.

s357: I would love to see your comparisons if you have the time. And anyone else's as well!

For the record, I feel very blessed to be able to expend the time and effort to micro-analyze differences in shades of blue ink. :) How fortunate we are indeed. Again, thanks so much!

Yes...as much as I love the Liberty, it definitely leans turquoise.

Diamine Blue Velvet and Iro Asa-Gao would be my suggestions. I had samples of both. If you don't think it's too purplish, JHerbin Eclat de Saphir is a nice deep blue as well.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Sailor K: Thanks. I think I'll take your suggestions. Delete Liberty and add Asa. I love turquoise, but I already have some and need a truer blue this time.

ceac: If you haven't already, go to the link in the first reply to this thread. Wow!

As always, many thanks!

Though discontinued a long time ago, Parker Penman Sapphire still is my favorite blue ....

You might like Sailor Bung Box Hatsukoi then...its a modern PPS replacement. I actually like it more than PPS (cleaning and flow seemed better with Sailor *shrug*).

Does Liberty have a touch of turquoise?

s357: I would love to see your comparisons if you have the time. And anyone else's as well!

For the record, I feel very blessed to be able to expend the time and effort to micro-analyze differences in shades of blue ink. :) How fortunate we are indeed. Again, thanks so much!

I don't see Liberty's Elysium as a turquoise leaning ink. Its a straight true blue. I have Pelikan Edelstein Topaz, which is more turquoise...when I do the comparison, I'll throw it in for good measure.

I'll try to get that done tonight for you.