Suggestions For Deep, Vibrant Blue Ink

crescent2

Hi FP experts,

I need suggestions to help me choose a deep jewel blue ink. Shading would be a bonus. I'm still a newbie, but I think I like pens and inks that write on the wet side. I'm looking for something a little out of the ordinary blue.

I have several purples that I love, so I don't want a purplish blue. I have Kon-Peki that I love, so I don't want a tealy blue. I don't want turquoise. I definitely don't want a dull or grayish blue. I want a deep blue, but nothing close to a blue-black. Did I mention I want blue? :P

This ink will most likely be used in my new Platinum 3776 Century pen, M nib. While I don't usually try to match inks to pen colors, I currently don't have any pens inked with blue, other than my precious little white Metro F with Kon-Peki. I would like a deep truer blue to try in this new pen, or perhaps in some of my other pens such as my TWSBI stub nib at times.

I've not filled the new pen with ink yet, but I dipped it in a few blue samples I had on hand tonight. I need to look at the writing samples in daylight, but here are my thoughts tonight. The Montegrappa Blue and Diamine Midnight both look too dark, blue-black perhaps, tonight. Tauki-Yo and P.R. Tropical Blue (Is the name misleading me?) look too teal or turquoise, the best I can tell. Not sure of P.R. Sonic Blue; it doesn't look very vibrant tonight. I used these on Clairefontaine Triomphe paper, a random fair quality notepad, and on a cheap legal tablet. I liked the way the pen felt on all of them.

My new pen, dipped and wiped off, seemed to write with what I'd say is a fairly wet, true M line, perhaps a tiny bit broader than my Pilot Metro M's, but not too much broader than my Cross F nib with Diamine ink. You folks know more about the 3776 Medium nib than I do, I'm sure.

If it helps, I tend to wind up with Diamine inks a lot of the time over any other single brand, my love of Kon-Peki notwithstanding. I own more bottles of Diamine than I do of any other brand. I have two Noodler's inks (Heart of Darkness for its permanence, and QE'ternity), but after reading reviews I often shy away from that brand because of reported inconsistency and quirks. I'm open to all suggestions, though (except the fearsome BSB). LOL

I've spent a lot of time looking at swabs, reviews, and videos on the Goulet site. Diamine Majestic Blue sounds interesting, but on Brian's video it looked very dark and opaque in his notebooks. Noodler's Blue, P.R. DC Electric Blue, and DC Supershow Blue might be worth a sample, or not? There were some swabs I liked but didn't like the writing sample, and vice versa. One that caught my eye is Diamine Blue Velvet. Thoughts on these? Other suggestions?

Sorry for rattling on so long, but "blue" covers a lot of territory in the ink world. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crescent2

• tonybelding

• sirgilbert357

• inkstainedruth

I have Diamine Blue Velvet and love it. You should also look at the PPS quest for samples of many blues that might interest you.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293633-the-super-duper-co-razy-parker-penman-sapphire-blue-comparisons-psp/

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Give Liberty Elysium a whirl. It's a Goulet exclusive and boy, is it a pretty colour.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Another vote for Noodler's Liberty's Elysium.

I'd also encourage you to give Diamine Majestic Blue a try. It's a rich, saturated blue that gives a red sheen for a jewel-like finish with a wet pen and hard paper.

I don't think deep and vibrant goes with shading.

Visconti Blue is on my list of non shading inks to get someday.

Akkerman has some nice blues if you like Diamine....Diamine makes Akkerman inks, but there are small differences, that make Akkerman the better or more colorful inks. It has a very interesting ink bottle too.

Go to Ink Reviews, and any that are reviewed by Sandy1 is well worth study, in she uses 4-5 normal nibbed pens on 5 papers that are good but not super expensive. You would be surprised :yikes: that it is the same ink.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Noodler's Blue is definitely worth a sample. I sampled it, and now it is my workaday blue when I want a vibrant blue with some depth, character, and shading without purplishness or darkbluishness.

Understandish me? :)

Reading your description of what you want. . . Liberty's Elysium, yeah.

Personally, I find LE right on the border between "very pretty!" and "almost too vibrant". I've been favoring inks with a bit softer hues lately, and therefore haven't been giving LE a lot of use. But if you desire a really vivid true blue, LE is it.

Regarding other suggestions. . .

Noodler's Blue and Liberty's Elysium are quite similar. LE just has a little extra blue "punch" to it, and also is partially water resistant.

I've sworn never to buy any Private Reserve again, after long experience of over-saturation, clogging, melted rubber parts, mold, staining, etc.

Edited by tonybelding

Diamine-MrPen Radiant Blue is very vibrant, perhaps it's the distant second to Baystate Blue (without any of the latter's quirks). There aren't that many mentionings on FPN, but see here and here.

I think it's only available from Mr Pen, don't know about the shipping costs to the US.

Diamine Midnight is a very nice deep, saturated blue.

Blue velvet is another good choice, but it's got a bit of a purple tinge.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Diamine-MrPen Radiant Blue is very vibrant, perhaps it's the distant second to Baystate Blue (without any of the latter's quirks). There aren't that many mentionings on FPN, but see here and here.

I think it's only available from Mr Pen, don't know about the shipping costs to the US.

I was going to suggest Radiant Blue too. Or Visconti Blue, which is a great shade.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Diamine Majestic Blue, I believe it's the ink used for Goulet's logo....

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

Another vote for PR Electric DC blue. I just got a bottle, and it's gorgeous. Rich and deep, with a lovely red sheen on the right paper, but a true blue, not purplish.

Although it has no shading, Visconti Blue might hit the mark; it's a lovely ink. The problem is that you are really going to struggle to get that deep and rich blue you are after and find shading along with it. Diamine Majestic Blue is very good and has good sheen on the right papers - if sheen is something that interests you. Sailor's Yama-Dori may be a runner and has great sheen, but might be too teal for you. If Kingdom Note's Blue beetle or Lidth's Jay are still to be found, they are both very good.

I suggest Visconti Blue

I wouldn't. Leans to purple blue which he said he doesn't want. I'd also avoid Iroshizuku Asa gao, as it is also a purple blue.

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium is an excellent suggestion though and it's my primary blue. It's a true blue - like the blue of the American flag.

Also, Sailor Bung Box Hatsukoi (First Love) is a GORGEOUS blue...it has that "jewel" like quality mentioned. Shades and sheen galore.

A few tips:

Stop dip testing to decide on inks. The pen needs to be filled normally and you need to be writing with it like you would in normal use to gauge an ink's behaviour. This varies greatly between pens and inks, but a dip test is just not always a reliable indicator of how an ink will write coming out of the pen when filled normally. You might love a given ink in a dip test and dislike it's normal performance when filling the pen normally.

If you are going to use this pen with just this one ink, buy the ink you like best and then tune your pen's nib to the ink. If you want a wet writing pen, adjust it to be so with the ink of your choice. Even dry inks can write wet in wet pens!