Parker 45 In Gold?

CalebBond

I was trawling through eBay as I have a habit of doing, and happened upon a gold plated Parker 45. Please excuse the seller's atrocious photography, but I wasn't aware that Parker made a fully gold 45 like that?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzIwWDk2MA==/z/DMkAAOSwpRRWnSlF/$_57.JPG

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Captivelight

• mitto

• shea2812

• CalebBond

Parker '45' Signet.................

I know the signet, but the end is black, is it not?

Edited by CalebBond

I know the signet, but the end is black, is it not?

The end of the barrel is au filled and or au plated..is it not.

The sections were black....yes...............

Fred

The end of the barrel is au filled and or au plated..is it not.

The sections were black....yes...............

Fred

You seem to be unnecessarily snarky. I am asking a genuine question and it needn't be met with contempt.

This is what I understand to be the signet, with end of the barrel being black.

http://pensforever.com/images/produtos/g/201441216438433.jpg

I'm not a 45 person but my recollection is the metal barrels lost the plastic ends at some point during the 45 year run.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

They came with black plastic ends, gold ends and later no real end other then a little plastic disk. I would guess that this one has lost its end at some stage, you see them like that every now and then, sometimes with a repair of some kind to hide the broken off piece, but without measuring it it's hard to tell. As far as dating it without the end goes the gold content should be stamped on the cap, earlier pens were Gold Filled later pens Rolled Gold

Incidentally I have (finally) bought the domain name parker45pens.com which will be taking over from the Wordpress hosted site fairly soon ...

It may just be a 45 Signet that originally had a black end, but no longer has it, and the seller hasn't mentioned it. Some ebay sellers might do that. :)

They came with black plastic ends, gold ends and later no real end other then a little plastic disk. I would guess that this one has lost its end at some stage, you see them like that every now and then, sometimes with a repair of some kind to hide the broken off piece, but without measuring it it's hard to tell. As far as dating it without the end goes the gold content should be stamped on the cap, earlier pens were Gold Filled later pens Rolled Gold

Incidentally I have (finally) bought the domain name parker45pens.com which will be taking over from the Wordpress hosted site fairly soon ...

Thanks mate. Excellent website. I have 3 45s - a Flighter, a Classic and a GT. The nib on the GT (which predates date markings) has a bit of flex in it.

Yes, that one is a little bit special ... Not a huge amount is known about these except that there are very very few of them, and from what I have seen all are unique. It is thought that they were made in France for Tiffany And Co, maybe Boucheron and possibly Cartier. Some have the gold sleeve (counter balance) over the shell others have just plastic which must make them quite top heavy to use! This one is beautifully balanced in the hand despite the extra weight. There seem to be a few Parker 75's around like this but very few 45's - possibly less then 10.

From the photo, I feel confident it originally had an end, by the taper of the barrel at its end, and by the proportion of the cap to the barrel. Hopefully this picture shows what I mean: at the top is the earlier style with the end, and the cap is placed in a similar position to the photo from the OP; at the bottom is the later style without the end.

fpn_1454278883__1309875224275.jpg

As to whether the OP's had a black or gold end is another matter. I think all the ones I've seen with gold ends were stamped rolled gold on the cap, but I can't say definitively.

I have two Flighters - one that at one time had the plastic (yes plastic) tail piece, but no longer does. I am told it was part of an inner barrel that poked through the end. Mine now ends right at the end of the converter that is in it. The other one has a solid stainless end. If it ever had any sort of decorative end you would never know it. I would imagine the designs changed for both the Flighter and the Signet at the same time.

Is your end similar to this?

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/91%20Parker%2045%20Flighter%20Deluxe%20M%20cap%20and%20barrel%20end_zps3rfhwx2n.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The end of the barrel looks too fat to me, and the barrel looks too short compared to the cap - I would suspect the black end has been lost.

Alan

Spikey Mike , did you forget that the flighter version also came with chrome ends?

I agree that this one is missing the barrel end piece. I have a R Gold one that I showed you sometime earlier and that has been inserted some golden/red plastic jewel at the end of barrel to prevent showing the empty barrel end piece hole.

Khan M. Ilyas

Spikey Mike , did you forget that the flighter version also came with chrome ends?

I agree that this one is missing the barrel end piece. I have a R Gold one that I showed you sometime earlier and that has been inserted some golden/red plastic jewel at the end of barrel to prevent showing the empty barrel end piece hole.

Hi Mitto, no,

I didn't forget, we were just concentrating on the Insignia series which as far as I know never had the silver chromed end cap ...

Now, if we mean 45's in general ... well... Black plastic, red plastic, blue plastic, burgundy plastic, light blue plastic, wood trim plastic, chrome, gold, black plastic disk, gold metal disk, steel disks. I've probably missed a few ... heh heh heh ... :)

Some of the unofficial repairs that I have come across can be quite nice, some can be downright awful, some can be a bit naughty (thank you to the guy who sold me the "NOS Blue Coronet" with the silver trim which had a silver end cap glued on with superglue!)