This Is "crazy" Many Pens? I Don't Think So.

william2001

I carry around 10 pens to school every day, but my friend and my teacher said that it is "crazy" that I carry that many pens. Is this too much? Am I going too far? How many pens do you carry on a daily basis?

Attached photo: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3B91B9FDBD651CCA!12448&authkey=!AFWQi8Wuu4ivbEs&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

EDIT: I actually lock my pens away in my backpack (a lock with a key!). Of course, it's inconvenient, but that's the only way to use my beautiful pens without having them stolen.

Edited by william2001

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• william2001

• Ink Stained Wretch

• Legal Eagle

• pajaro

Do you use all ten fountain pens ? How many fountain pens do you own ? I choose not to answer these questions. I carry two fountain pens when I leave home. For me, please ask how many fountain pens they recommend as appropriate. Say, "Thank You". Then, cut back to nine pens, just show them you are willing to compromise.

Buy yourself a nice bottle of ink, for being a good person, and not telling them its none of their d . . . . . .

Well, you know.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

If they all have a purpose, to you, who are they to tell you not.

Although to me, based on how many fountain pens I carried in college (2), 10 pens does seems rather excessive. Although I had a bunch of other writing instruments also; ball pens (1 or 2), pencils 0.5 and 0.3mm (3), highlighters (4 different colors).

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

ten pens is more than i'd be able to find a use for in any one day --- but that's just me. so long as they don't burden you down beyond your ability to move comfortably, i don't see how it matters how many pens you're carrying.

Carry all the pens you want or need! Nobody should call you "crazy" for that.

Personally I would be worried of losing so many pens at once. But then again that's just me.

Hey, if you feel like you really need 10 pens at all times, then go for it. Personally, I never have more than a few pens inked at any one time and never feel the need to carry more than one or two (at the most) with me. To me ten pens is excessive, but I'm not the one who has to carry them around.

If they are all fountain pens, that's more than I'd feel comfortable keeping inked at one time, whether I carried them all around, or left some at home every day. But you know best what works for you.

On a typical work day I'd probably have two or three fountain pens with me, and at least one each ballpoint, rollerball, and mechanical pencil. On the other hand, I generally do much more writing at home than at work. It might be different for a student.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

In general EoC carries 4 fountain pens to University, thus -

1. Esterbrook Dollar pen with a 2048 nib and filled with Lamy black ink
  2. TWSBI 580AL with an EF nib and filled with Diamine Syrah
  3. Parson's Essential with a fine CI nib and filled with PPS
  4. O-Ranga-tan with a 1.5 mm stub and filled with Herbin Lierre de Sauvage.

There is also a pencil case with -

1. Pentel Graphgear 1000 0.9 mm mechanical pencil
  2. Koh-i-noor Toison D'Or 2 mm lead holder
  3. Worther Stubby 3 mm lead holder
  4. Cretacolor Monolith pencil, 1 x 2B and 1 x 4B
  5. Bohemiaworks Progresso pencil HB
  6. Bic brite liner grip
  7. Pentel brush pen
  8. Mitsubishi Uni jetstream
  9. Mitsubishi Unipin fine line 0.5 mm pigment pen
  10. Parker Jotter flighter ballpoint
  11. E+M nib holder + 2 dip nibs
  12. Eraser
  13. Bit of rag
  14. Small tin of tiger balm

Looking at the list that makes 15 items with which one may write or draw. Excessive? Perhaps, but they all get used at some time or another, though not usually on the same day. It's more of case of having it and not needing it, rather than needing it and not having it.

Well, I don't typically use all 10 pens in a day, but I just feel happy carrying them around. You know, I'm a fountain pen person. :)

William

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

William, Judging from your profile I assume you're in high school and that's an environment with a lot of pranks. It does seem that carrying ten pens could be risky. Maybe you could rotate them throughout the week?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Yeah sounds like you're still in high school. If I were you I'd get a good 2 or 3 pen case, and swap out pens every few days which is what I do. No need to carry 10 at a time which could be risky if you misplace them or some D-bag does something (lets face it, you never know).

Edited by Legal Eagle

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Well, it depends how much writing you do, and whether you use any of your pens for drawing, or technical drawing, which might demand a certain style of nib. I can see you might easily need at least three or four. Plus, if you're rotating them regularly, you're less likely to leave one unused for a while and end up with hard starts or encrusted ink or needing to flush.

Ten... well, that's a bit of an outlier, but it's not 'crazy'.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

My limit is eight. It used to be nine. But that's primarily because my traveling pen wrap has eight slots (my source), and I'd shove my 3.8mm Pilot Parallel down into it.

Usually, it's three to six. One to three for writing (depending on how many inks I am running), one stubbed, and one or two for markup.

There was a period in high school, when I was taking a biology course that covered bacteriology, genetics, and embryology, that I carried eight colored felt-tip pens, at the instructor's recommendation, in addition to a 0.5mm mechanical pencil and a large eraser (which was my writing instrument of choice back then).

You are carrying too many when the aggravation of fooling with them all outweighs the pleasure of having and using them all. Of course, those are determinations which only you can make. Feel free to mention the benefits of using multiple colors in your notes.

Edited by Arkanabar

I carry one pen. Maybe two but that would be unusual for me. But I am not the person carrying your pens. How many pens you carry each day is really trivial and I'm surprised anyone even commented.

I just carry a FP, mechanical pencil, and red ink V Pilot.

That´s all I need, but others might need more, so...to each his own.

Well, I don't typically use all 10 pens in a day, but I just feel happy carrying them around. You know, I'm a fountain pen person. :)

Well, the important thing is that you can make yourself feel good doing this.

Given your age it is certainly not "crazy" to carry 10 fountain pens to school.

Now I wouldn't do it because I'd be concerned that I'd lose some or all of those fountain pens. Every generation has jerks and bad people who will try to steal what others value, for whatever reason.

But it is up to you.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I'm not in school...so would carry max two.

IMO a bit too much showing off. Show off two, then the next day two different ones. Those with eyes would notice...those with none wouldn't notice if you had twenty.

As said, to have all your eggs in one HS basket is very risky. Some would steal just to break.

To take your MBs and P-75's to school is foolish to the max.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I usually carry between one and three the most was five. But its your decision. Crazy? Nope. You are just an addict like the rest of us... :D