Greif

Azuniga

I have been collecting Greif for quite sometime, recently I found an addition that surprised me an pleased me... I though it would be nice to share some images. Although it looks black, it is a very dark blue...

fpn_1454197312__greifeha.jpg

fpn_1454197349__greifehb.jpg

fpn_1454197383__greifehc.jpg

fpn_1454197414__greifehd.jpg

Now the ideal would be to be able to find out who could get this "honor prize"... Why not

Edited by Azuniga

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Azuniga

• markiv

• fountainbel

• Baroz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That s one sweet pen, Ariel! I know you have more greifs though:)

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

I have some indeed… (by the way the last to the right is not a Grief, I only noticed after uploading the images...)

fpn_1454258696__lot.jpg

but still so many to find…

fpn_1454258769__05.jpg

like this list from September 1935

fpn_1454258811__sep1935.jpg

Edited by Azuniga

.......... Grief pens; ..........

oh, good grief :) we had been talking about GREIF pens.

The "Greif" (gryphon?) is a mixed animal, with wings and an eagle`s head and the corpus is mostly a horse. The "Greif" appears in historic Egypt, Palestine, Greece and Iraq and it is possible that the precursor of the stone statues had been a fossil of a Protoceratops.

The "Greif" appears in a stylized shape as the heraldic animal of the trade mark from Goslar/ Germany..

Kind Regards

Thomas

Edited by Kaweco

:doh: TIL

oh, good grief :) we had been talking about GREIF pens.

The "Greif" (gryphon?) is a mixed animal, with wings and an eagle`s head and the corpus is mostly a horse. The "Greif" appears in historic Egypt, Palestine, Greece and Iraq and it is possible that the precursor of the stone statues had been a fossil of a Protoceratops.

The "Greif" appears in a stylized shape as the heraldic animal of the trade mark from Goslar/ Germany..

Kind Regards

Thomas

• 1 month later...

Beautiful pen, it is so well balanced in the hand as you have certainly confirmed...

Congratulations ! I hope it has the right nib for you...

• 6 months later...

Not a Greif but an interesting Astoria #4B with silver overlay. Not sure what the pattern is trying to be, a floral spider's web or a church' stained glass window? (The clip is a Greif that has been fitted to the pen at some later point in its life).

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u366/Kaweco_Goldfink/Astoria%204B_zpsonkwsmfz.jpg

I have seen an Astoria with the normal spider's web but this one seems more complex... It is a nice pen and the Greif clip offer a nice twist... Why not?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

Thank you all for shearing the pictures of these rare and beautiful Greif pens !

Just acquired my second Greif , an early piston filler, and I'm again impressed by the quality of these pens.

The first one is a "Greif gold" featuring an emailed logo inlay in the cap top.

On this pen the piston unit screws in the barrel featuring an external collar and is easily removed .

However on the pen i've just acquired the piston unit is very difficult to remove, since it is screws fully internally in the barrel.

This celluloid pen looks older and from a "higher class" compared to the Greif gold.

I've made be a special wrench to get it out after soaking and applying heat, but whatever I try it doesn't move.

I then thought on the possibility to screw the section out and access the piston this way.

But after checking i can't find a seam between the section and the barrel screw thread.

So I think the section was originally permanently glued - or chemically welded -

in the barrel.

Can anybody confirm Greif glued their section permanently in the barrel on some models?

Thanks in advance !

Below a picture showing both pens.

Francis

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/P1010236.jpg

Here's three Greifs I came across last year. I love the green on black, it's stunning!

post-79707-0-00241300-1484767236_thumb.jpg

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Here's three Greifs I came across last year. I love the green on black, it's stunning

!

Nice set of Greif pens, congratulations waste landed !

As far as I can see the one on top of your picture looks identical to the lower one on my picture.

Does the clip on this pen is similar to the one on mine?

On mine the green band is not there, perhaps mine is an earlier one?

Francis

• 4 weeks later...

Nice set of Greif pens, congratulations waste landed !

As far as I can see the one on top of your picture looks identical to the lower one on my picture.

Does the clip on this pen is similar to the one on mine?

On mine the green band is not there, perhaps mine is an earlier one?

Francis

Sorry for the delay, Francis! Yes, my clip is same as yours. I know very little about Greif, I wish I knew more. But I think you're right, yours is older.

I am trying to get these open to replace the corks, and am having no luck!

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

It took me long time to come back to the thread, I am sorry….

The fountainbel clip was requesting about is right, here are some more images.

There is not much information about Greif, specially for someone like me being far away from Germany, the most we know is that by the end of the company it was acquired by Pelikan… but I guess most of you already know that.

fpn_1486937528__greif_gold.jpg

fpn_1486937557__greif_mar_1940.jpg

fpn_1486937584__katalog_297_04.jpg

• 2 years later...

My Greif Gold. It's missing a clip, the celluloid appears soft and fragile, the workmanship is somehow behind Pelikan and most leading German manufacturers. However, aesthetically it's one of my favourite pens.

I don't know much about Greifs. I guess my one is from the late 40s because of the late script nib. Also no gold rings could point to the after war period.

Nib no 6, medium, 126 mm in length.

post-138594-0-38715800-1558799371_thumb.jpeg

post-138594-0-77711500-1558799407_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever figure out the answer to the piston removal question? I've recently found my Greif 80 (lost at the back of a drawer since I got it) and thought it was time to bring it back to life - it's got a lovely nib and very pleasing size and weight - but I think the piston seal's totally buggered and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to it to fit a replacement.

Any ideas would be very welcome!