New Duofold?

agentbug

. I'm pleased that Newell Rubbermaid at last seem to be putting a bit of effort into breathing some life into what was a moribund range. Of course, they are ridiculously expensive, or at least the RRP is.

I agree that they seem to have woken up a bit; I am considering buying a Centennial for the first time in years. I wish the "BIg Red" had a gold trim, but they all look very nice.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FriendAmos

• Tancred

• encremental

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FriendAmos - both Parker and Waterman have been owned by the American conglomerate Newell Rubbermaid since 2000 when they were bought from (of all people) Gillette. So in some sense they are back to where they started as American companies, if only as a result of globalisation rather than anything else.

The high end pens of both Waterman & Parker are made at the Waterman factory in Nantes, France, and I believe that the resin Duofolds and their nibs are still made on the same machines that were used when Parker was based in the UK at Newhaven. The pens are essentially identical to the 1980s UK Duofolds, with trim modifications from time to time. The barrels are turned from rod stock, but whether this is sourced from the UK firm Carville, who supplied Newhaven, I rather doubt (the pearl and black was the last of that, I think). It's the same material though. There was some talk of moving manufacturing to Poland, but I don't know how far they've got with that.

Waterman of course has many years' experience working in metal, so I imagine that is where the new metal-bodied pens come from. (The Parker Premier is pretty much a Waterman/Parker mashup as well). The four metal Centennials have metal sections, while the five resin Centennials and their five resin International-sized counterparts have resin sections.

As for the question of gold trim on the Big Red, - well it has been possible to buy a gold trimmed Big Red on and off for the last hundred years and as you didn't bite, maybe they have given up on you ! :lol:

John

FriendAmos - both Parker and Waterman have been owned by the American conglomerate Newell Rubbermaid since 2000 when they were bought from (of all people) Gillette. So in some sense they are back to where they started as American companies, if only as a result of globalisation rather than anything else.

The high end pens of both Waterman & Parker are made at the Waterman factory in Nantes, France, and I believe that the resin Duofolds and their nibs are still made on the same machines that were used when Parker was based in the UK at Newhaven. The pens are essentially identical to the 1980s UK Duofolds, with trim modifications from time to time. The barrels are turned from rod stock, but whether this is sourced from the UK firm Carville, who supplied Newhaven, I rather doubt (the pearl and black was the last of that, I think). It's the same material though. There was some talk of moving manufacturing to Poland, but I don't know how far they've got with that.

Waterman of course has many years' experience working in metal, so I imagine that is where the new metal-bodied pens come from. (The Parker Premier is pretty much a Waterman/Parker mashup as well). The four metal Centennials have metal sections, while the five resin Centennials and their five resin International-sized counterparts have resin sections.

As for the question of gold trim on the Big Red, - well it has been possible to buy a gold trimmed Big Red on and off for the last hundred years and as you didn't bite, maybe they have given up on you ! :lol:

John

Thanks. Actually, I know the history of the pen quite well and have bought Duofold Centennials since the 1990s. I was, however, intrigued with this claim that these ones are made in China.

Why not? Apparently an Italian competitor is doing quite well with metal-section pens.

And good luck to them if they are.

My point is that I detest metal sections and therefore won't consider these. Shame, as I have a 1992 green marble Duofold International and know just how good these pens can be.

I'm pretty sure I was one of those who voiced initial dislike of the new line when they first came to light, but I've started to come around on the new designs. The burgundy chevron in particular has been calling my name. It's not on the to-buy list yet, but if I were to find a bargain I'm suspecting temptation would have her hand in my wallet.

the other latest Duofolds (misguided orange, ivory, and blue) are miserable affairs.

Disagree with this, I thought they were quite tasteful. Sure just a new colour, but the quality and historical nod were better than the current metal sections and chevrons. All in all though, the more variations and investment into the modern duofold the better - we should be thankful it is still alive and kicking.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Thanks. Actually, I know the history of the pen quite well and have bought Duofold Centennials since the 1990s. I was, however, intrigued with this claim that these ones are made in China.

Sorry - didn't mean to go into lecture mode :blush: The great review and pictures that freakman has posted pretty much makes my points as to the quality of the metalwork for me, I think (together with feelings of inadequacy as to my own modest Duofold collection).

I agree with CeeElle when it comes to the last set of 'historic colours'. I really like them. They are exactly the same as any previous model, but without the black ends, which I always thought was an odd idea, given that Parker must have to stock more spare nib assemblies rather than just black. Tweaking classic designs to keep them interesting is always good. I just wish that at some point the classic flat top would come back.

John

Does Parker still have a nib exchange program? I bought all my Duofolds prior to 2000 when Parker had a very active nib exchange program. I found their italic nibs (available in F, M, and B) to be probably the best commercial italics I have experienced. All my Duofolds have italics, though I do have a couple additional regular ball nibs for special circumstances. I like the looks of some of the recent production Duofolds, but the nib sizes I have seen are F and M only. I will not waste my money if italics are not available. Any information?

Edited by FrankB

I agree with CeeElle when it comes to the last set of 'historic colours'. I really like them. They are exactly the same as any previous model, but without the black ends, which I always thought was an odd idea, given that Parker must have to stock more spare nib assemblies rather than just black.

That does not appear to be the case: I am not aware of any previous versions of the blue or ivory. And for the orange, the differences in colour are quite obvious: the new one is much lighter; here are some images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=parker+duofold+centennial+orange&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GGHP_en-GBCA670CA677&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy4Nni9dvKAhWruIMKHevNDO4QsAQIMQ&biw=1366&bih=566

post-7552-0-89864800-1454517027_thumb.jpg

I was speaking figuratively, in that all the revived Duofolds are essentially the same pen , although naturally with many different colours and tweaks over the years . And yet, when it comes to the Big Red, I have a 1980s International, a 2015 Centennial and a 1926 Big Red on the table in front of me as I type and the colour looks the same to me :)

John

Edited by encremental

Does Parker still have a nib exchange program? I bought all my Duofolds prior to 2000 when Parker had a very active nib exchange program. I found their italic nibs (available in F, M, and B) to be probably the best commercial italics I have experienced. All my Duofolds have italics, though I do have a couple additional regular ball nibs for special circumstances. I like the looks of some of the recent production Duofolds, but the nib sizes I have seen are F and M only. I will not waste my money if italics are not available. Any information?

There's certainly still a nib exchange programme, but as to how many nibs there are now, I'm not sure. Parker do seem to answer emails quite quickly though when I've exchanged nibs in the past.

John

encremental wrote:

"Parker do seem to answer emails quite quickly though when I've exchanged nibs in the past."

Thanks. That info helps. I can go directly to the source.

I got interested in collecting pens over 10 years ago and after much research decided to specialized in Parker Duofold Centennials. Have a "small" collection. Became very disenchanted as Parker moved all their operations away from US and GB. Now this is the Parker Pen Company. UGH!

Complete and total BS. The pens are made in France.

Unfortunately there are many trolls here who like to disparage Parker and Waterman products.

Not impressed. Boring for me. Where is the vintage touch in these new Duofolds?

There isn't one. These are modern pens for modern times.

I think a moment's reflection is the best thing, and then move on.

The more I see of the latest iteration of the premium Duofold, the more I think it looks like an up market Jinhao.

I have a number of Jinhao's, so I'm not instinctively against them. Just not sure I want something looking as if it's from their very blingy stable, at a Parker price tag.

Regards,

Richard.

What a negative comment! So you only like plastic pens? Fine, that's up to you, but don't make absurd statements about Jinhao look-a-likes; nothing could be further from the truth. There is a world of difference between a Jinhao and the workmanship on a modern Parker Duofold or Premier. Many people - me included - happen to like the 'blingy' metal pens from Parker; I like the extra heft and this marries up well to what a high end writing instrument should look like.

Of course you can carry on spending hundreds on so-called 'precious resin' pens, but give me a durable solid metal pen any day of the week. Would you buy a car made of plastic?

Edited by Tancred

They look great but new Duofolds have been here before, manufactured in China and on retail for over 1000 USD. Seems a bit out of proportion. That said, they are only available on the Chinese market anyway.

Absolute nonsense - they are made in France. There are no Parker pen factories in China.

The reason they have been launched in China is because that region is a lucrative market for pen manufacturers, unlike Europe and America where everyone seems to be using tablets and laptops. Asia is the last refuge for handwriting.

I got interested in collecting pens over 10 years ago and after much research decided to specialized in Parker Duofold Centennials. Have a "small" collection. Became very disenchanted as Parker moved all their operations away from US and GB. Now this is the Parker Pen Company. UGH!

What difference does it make? Car makers use factories all over the world, so why should pen makers not do the same?

And Parker now shares the same facilities as Waterman, which has been successfully established in France for decades.