• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FriendAmos

• Tancred

• encremental

• agentbug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the blue one very much, although they are all lovely.

Ian

I think a moment's reflection is the best thing, and then move on.

The more I see of the latest iteration of the premium Duofold, the more I think it looks like an up market Jinhao.

I have a number of Jinhao's, so I'm not instinctively against them. Just not sure I want something looking as if it's from their very blingy stable, at a Parker price tag.

Regards,

Richard.

They look great but new Duofolds have been here before, manufactured in China and on retail for over 1000 USD. Seems a bit out of proportion. That said, they are only available on the Chinese market anyway.

They look great but new Duofolds have been here before, manufactured in China and on retail for over 1000 USD. Seems a bit out of proportion. That said, they are only available on the Chinese market anyway.

They are from amazon.fr and about 400 euros

Indeed, I found them on Amazon Germany now as well, prices ranging from 550 to 1500 Euros. I keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the advice agentbug though they are still out of my budget. :( . Will keep an eye on it.

Really? Metal sections (except the orange). Oh well, more modern Parkers that leave me cold.

I spent some time in Penfriend in Fleet Street the other week, having a good look at all of them and actually handling a couple.

Not made in China, and not remotely like Jinhaos. They are made in France and the three metal models look rather more like Duponts than something oriental, which I don't think is anything to sniff at. They have the same sort of build quality and attention to detail. The laser etched barrels are particularly fine, even if it is not something you associate with Duofolds, and the ruthenium plated version is quite unusual with an interesting lustre which is unlike the more usual rhodium or palladium . The resin range (same ultra glossy stuff as before) has been expanded to include a black Centennial with silver trim, the Big Red has the imprint back (but not on the other historic colours, although they all have black ends again, and like the red, the blue has silver trim rather than gold). All told, there are now nine Centennials rather than the previous four, which I would have thought was a reason to celebrate myself, rather than have a good old moan :)

Lots of point of sale material, and just before Christmas I even saw a bit of a poster campaign on the tube around South Kensington. I'm pleased that Newell Rubbermaid at last seem to be putting a bit of effort into breathing some life into what was a moribund range. Of course, they are ridiculously expensive, or at least the RRP is. Even though this is a bit of a polite fiction and just as Waterman Carenes have a list price of over £200 which no one in their right mind would pay, I am sure that in time the Duofolds will begin to appear at a price a little less worrying than at the moment. And even if they don't I'm having that Big Red!

John

Who's making these? Parker or the sort of Chinese outfit that makes a "genuine original" copy of everything. Regardless, this (especially the "Big Red") is the sort of thing that Parker should be doing; the other latest Duofolds (misguided orange, ivory, and blue) are miserable affairs.

Stupid website. Leaves horizontal bars across the screen. Stupid pictures obscure the majority of some buttons. Did anyone test it before sticking it up on the web? I cannot believe anyone did.

Regards,

Richard

So I am not the only one who's irritated with "website designers" running amok. Seems to be the trend these days. I sometimes wonder if anyone in the "management" of these places ever asks the web guys for a "run-through"?

Hopeless coordination. There's still this website: http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/pens-inks/duofold

The other hopeless bit about the new website: http://www.parkerpen.com/en-GB

I thought I'd fill in the "contact us" form, to find out some more about these new products. I filled in the form, pressed "submit", and got my entry rejected, because I had, supposedly not filled in the "What does your query relate to?" part. After---AGAIN---fighting the mindless graphics, I had another go. Can't find any such question as part of the form.

Really? Metal sections (except the orange). Oh well, more modern Parkers that leave me cold.

Why not? Apparently an Italian competitor is doing quite well with metal-section pens.