Never Let People Who Don't Use Fountain Pens, Use Your Fountain Pen

helm10101

...I don't understand why someone would think to grasp the pen feed up, or sideways etc. It seemed obvious to me right from the beginning that the shiny metal nib should face upwards. Any other configuration looks strange!

You make the faulty assumption that these people are thinking and looking. People who have never used a fountain pen, and have used a ballpoint pen their entire lives as a habit don't look at the point of the pen. Why would they? It doesn't change anything about a ballpoint's performance. I recently lent a fountain pen to someone and watched him use it. He was so focused on what he was writing (not in his native language, so it took greater concentration) he didn't notice that the nib was all catty-wumpus.

If you do loan someone a fountain pen, it's only fair to announce that that's what it is. There are lots of proper responses, but perhaps the most endearing is, "How do I use it? I don't want to damage it."

James

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• helm10101

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• Manalto

• Schadenfreude

If I did let someone borrow a pen, it would be a cheap Jinhao or another low cost pen (for me, low cost is sub $10). As a student, many classmates comment on my pens positively, so if I have a Jinhao I'll show them. If they grab an expensive (well, $30 pen, since I don't usually keep higher) pen, I'll quickly tell them to unscrew it before they break it. I keep my three workhorse pens (TWSBI Eco, Jinhao 159 and Conklin Duragraph stub for special things or annotating) in my Nock Sinclair for myself. I also carry lead, an eraser, whiteout, a Pentel Energel, 2 mechanical pencils (one for me), and a Fisher Space Pen to lend to people when they ask, but make sure they give it back.

I lie, lie, and lie some more:

1. "Oh, this thing just stopped working. Let me get you another one."
  2. "Oh, you probably don't want to use my pen because I'm coming down with something."
  3. "What pen? There is no spoon."
  4. ...etc.

Wow . . . Ayn Rand much?. This ain't the place for full blown political debates; but, I feel compelled to say that despite being a limited government and Constitutional conservative, we can sometimes bring some people around with a smile and a touch of kindness; as my Mama taught me: "you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar".

"The tree of liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots"

Thomas Jefferson

"Live free or die"

New Hampshire state motto

Amen to all of the above!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I love the toothbrush analogy someone suggested upthread. I don't like giving speeches, so I just hand someone a ballpoint rather than explaining why they don't want to use my pen.

I never hand out my fountain pens if someone is in a hurry and just needs a pen. For that I have pencils and ballpoints. And if not I decline and say I don't have a pen and when they look at my shirt (where my fountain pen is) they get a "but you don't get that, it's a fountain pen". Usually I get an acknowledging nod, because here fountain pens are still widespread and seen as very personal items.

By now all colleagues know that I have "such nice pens". And sometimes someone comes over for a chat and maybe needs a pen. I have no problems handing them the fountain pen with some explanation - they listen, take their time, appreciate it and they really take care. no problems so far.

Last week my little nephew was here (9yo) and asked for my expensive pens, because he only uses a Lamy Safari. It was no problem when we took our time to explore a Romillo and a Nakaya together.

Greetings,

Michael

I always have a Kaweco Ink Roller on me for this purpose& it's usually filled with an interesting ink. That way, if they're interested they will ask about it and I can show or lend them a fountain pen. If they're not interested, the ink roller allows them to jot down their note and I don't have to worry about my fountain pens.

I don't lie nor do I lecture. When people ask to use my pen, I just say 'Sorry, I do not lend out my pens'. The other day I was writnig something down in the staffroom at school when a young colleague reached out for my pen uttering 'Hand over your pen so I can write something down'...'I think not'.

regards,

Hugo

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

'Hand over your pen so I can write something down'

How could you resist such a gracious request?

Edited by Manalto

James

How could you resist such a gracious request?

Sheer character.

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

• 2 weeks later...

As a matter of fact I let my boss use my Waterman Red Ripple ringtop with the moderately flexy nib. And the guy in the nursery turned out to be an fp fancier so I let him play with my tiny Wahl with the #0 nib.

It's a totally evil thing to do.

So, i was talking with a worker and she was on the phone and needed to write something. She grabbed my fountain pen from my hand and started to write. Little did i know that this seemed to be educated office woman didn't know how to use a fountain pen. As soon as she started to write, nothing came out and she was annoyed, gave it back to me and then when i needed to write something she kinda protected all her cheap ballpoints on her desk thinking that i would want to lean a cheap ballpoint. I took off the cap of my Parker and started to write. She was shocked when i managed to write with it just fine. And then i told her: "calm down! You don't need to protect your cheap ballpoints and I'm not gonna steal them. Never!"

I sounded rude, but to grab my pen from my hand without asking is very rude! I was so mad! Especially when she's protecting her ballpoints which is stupid

People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

There is no place where people are more territorial than an office; wars fade in comparison.

One word, two syllables: demarcation. Alright?

Edited by BayesianPrior

bayesianprior.png

There is no place where people are more territorial than an office; wars fade in comparison.

I second this

People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

I generally do not let other people touch my pens. recently i was having dinner with my wife and a family friend, and my wife brought up the issue of fountain pens, and how i am a bit "crazy" over them. We had a short discussion on that and I thought what on earth, she is a good friend of ours, very educated, let her handle the thing. So I take out a Pelikan M205 and give it to her to see what it is all about. Wrong start, she started to drag the cap with great force, because it never occured to her that you just need to unscrew it. I would have told he what to do, but she went on it immediately, with great force, I simply had no time. I was afraid that my beloved white M205 would break in two. Thank god it wasnt a M605 or M805.

So lesson learnt here, I took the pen gently from her, gave her a small demonstration, and I am not going to let absolutely anyone touch one of my pens in the future. Not even "valued family friends".

Edited by fplover01

I almost never lend out my FP's. On the off chance it DOES happen, i make it very, VERY clear to be careful with it and that you require 0 pressure to get it to write. Never failed me, but i've never felt exactly comfortable with lending it out

When someone asks for my pen I uncap it slowly and deliberately and during that time when their attention is focused on me I say "this is a vintage fountain pen and please write with it with a very very lightly". So far so good, no damages yet.

Would you lend someone your wife/husband/partner? No; they are never the same when you get them back!

You don't share things that matter.

...be like the ocean...

Great advice, all!

Perhaps I am too much of an "ambassador" as another FPNer called me recently. I am all about getting people into fountain pens. So, whenever I notice someone is fascinated with my fountain pen - or my writing with a fountain pen, I go through a process of explaining a bit about fountain pens. I explain that they are a very personal writing instruments, much different that the general ballpoint or rollerball. I explain the benefits and the responsibility of a fountain pen. Then, if they are still genuinely interested, I will get out one of my lesser expensive, but reliable fountain pens, I will take off the cap and then show them how to write with it and ask them if they would like to try it. If they are still genuinely interested, I will let them try it - with supervision. They need to show respect for me (since it is my pen) and for the pen. If not, I take the pen back and hand them a ballpoint.

Of course, if it is a person who just wants to write a quick note, indicating no respect for my writing implement, I tell them "No".

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today