The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Never Let People Who Don't Use Fountain Pens, Use Your Fountain Pen

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 stevew443

stevew443

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:08

I carry a ballpoint pen with me at all times in case someone needs to borrow a pen.  I once had a supervisor who just snatched one of my fountain pens from my pocket and began writing like a mad man and came very close to ruining the nib.  I gave him a lecture on why he should never ever do anything like that again.  It helped that I was twice his age and I probably intimidated him a bit. 

Anyway, when I bought my Sheaffer fountain pen, I purchased a matching ballpoint just in case.  Having a matching pen allows the borrower to think that I am letting them use one of my "good" pens.

Sponsored Content

#22 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:27

In those cases where I lend a pen, I hang on to the cap, so it will come back to me, and offer a bit of advice -- "Hold it with the quill on top, and use the least pressure you can" before I do so.  I usually brag a bit about why I like them, which is the minimal effort required, first.  I've successfully lent my pens to 4th graders.

And there are pens where I won't -- my Dad's Parker "51", and the Sheaffer PFM-II gifted to me by my brother in law.

I was given a Jinhao 599.  I don't like the Lamy Safari.  I tried the 599 anyway, and didn't like it either.  But it was PIFfed to me, and they can be had for as little as 3USD, so I would fill it and lend it to coworkers to use for a day or two, to see how they liked it -- again, with a bit of instruction.  Its nib is still okay, but the cap no longer snaps shut; I've put some electrical tape around the ring between barrel and section, and it now at least doesn't slide off.  But that makes filling it too much trouble to deal with, so I no longer bother.

#23 dasXFnib

dasXFnib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:55

Personally.....I treat my fountain pens like I treat my toothbrush.....

Now, really....would YOU let someone "borrow" YOURS???!!! :wacko:

Having said that.....I'd not be averse to letting someone TRY one of my Esties...IF they agreed to buy a new nib if they damaged the one they used....

A $6 steel nib....I can deal with...a $180 18k rhodium-plated nib....Uh-Uh!!! :angry:

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

#24 helm10101

helm10101

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:16

Next time I'll surely know to not give a fountain pen as if it's a regular pen.

I'll either give a short course like you suggested or simply hand a regular pen  :lol:

And really this pen was awesome! It was really fun to write with it compared to regular pens.

I just wonder now if you guys have an experience with a Pilot Metropolitan/Cocoon with fine nib (Cocoon is the Metropolitan with a different advertising name), and can tell me what other pens with fine nib that you used are as comfortable to write with as the Pilot, so I might try a new pen?

#25 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,066 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 14:57

oops, I'd meant to post that to a different thread.

Edited by Arkanabar, 30 January 2016 - 22:54.

#26 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 15:00

This topics comes up often. It's crazy that people can be so reckless. I often give my pens to my eleven-year-old, he has never damaged a pen. He now has a few of his own fountain pens, loans them to his friends, and nobody has damaged a pen yet. If a firth-grader can use a fountain pen properly, why can't adults?

Still, I'd find it rather awkward to give a colleague a short lecture on fountain pen use before loaning them my pen. I usually just say, "sorry, but it's a fountain pen, it's weird." They always get the message and realize it's not worth their trouble, move on.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

#27 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,367 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 20:46

I usually carry three pens in my pocket and will let most anyone use the one of them least susceptible to damage, after a warning to write very lightly. I always uncap the pen and hold the cap while keeping a careful eye on the use of my pen. The exceptions are those I know and trust as careful users. They get to hold the cap. Since I've taken this approach I've never had a pen damaged.
May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#28 zwack

zwack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 23:26

I carry seven writing implements in my work bag... currently...

1) mechanical pencil (free, promotional one from O'Reilly and Associates)
2) Platinum Preppy
3) Noodlers Nikita
4) Levenger L-tech 3.0
5) Custom turned wood ball point with a cross style refill
6) currently a cheap ballpoint with an additional stylus tip
7) A different version of 6)

6) and 7) will be replaced soon (one fountain pen one ball point) the plan is to always have a pen I can safely lend.

#29 alanvdleek

alanvdleek

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2016 - 15:37

I always have a few ball points with me, just in case. I do my everyday writing with my fountain pen, but when a friend at school is out of ink and needs a pen for the rest of the day, I always give them one of the ball points. I don't use them and since they're bought in a package of 20, it's not too bad when something happens to them.
My​ fountain pen is too precious for me, I'll never let someone else use it. As I like to mention fountain pens: your handwriting, written with a fountain pen is a signature by itself. You never let someone else use your signature, so why would you let someone use your fountain pen?
Also, for people who are not used to writing with fountain pens, they can really ruin the pen. Fountain pens are very fragile and seeing someone trying to flex a steel nib always hurts.. My fountain pen has a gold nib, but still, you don't use pressure on it, which is very hard to explain to someone who has never in his life touched a fountain pen.

A fountain pen is something personal! If people want to write with it, they'll have to buy one themselves!

Edited by alanvdleek, 31 January 2016 - 22:11.

When people ask me how I designed my signature I can only tell them one thing; ''Find the right fountain pen and it will do so for you''

#30 Nibfiend

Nibfiend

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2016 - 13:32

I'm like most of you. I carry a pilot precise V5 roller ball with me as well as my fountain pen. If anyone needs a pen, I lend them the roller ball. Nobody touches my baby.

I'm protective of my well seasoned cast iron pans as well. I might let someone cook in one but tell them I'll wash it.

#31 Water Ouzel

Water Ouzel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:21

After having used cheap (Sheaffer dollar school pens mostly) fountain pens since high school, around 1965), I splurged on my first good pen around 1982, a Sheaffer Targa, black, 14k F nib. Lovely pen.

At work one day, as I was standing near the department secretary's desk, she needed a pen to make a note about something, and spying the Targa in my pocket, grabbed the cap and snatched the pen out of my shirt pocket. Pen left the cap behind as it arced high across the office area and landed nib down on a hard floor. Bent the nib 90º up.

She ended up replacing the whole pen. I still have the pen today, and it writes as well as ever.

No loaning it out, if I have any say in the matter, now.

#32 tomgartin

tomgartin

coffee black, whiskey neat.

• Member - Gold

• 998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:34

I've been keeping a uni-ball vision elite with me for things like this. Not only is it the absolute best disposable I've ever used, but it saves my Pelikan from unnecessary risk.

I think, at the end of the day, my Pelikan is there to make me happy. If someone is interested in it, I'll talk about it, but I think most people would prefer to borrow the disposable rollerball and not have to deal with learning a FP. My boss is the only exception--he lived in Frankfurt for several years and has a small collection of Lamys. 

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested.  :)

#33 Cushy Butterfield

Cushy Butterfield

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:03

On the other hand ...

... when you have just ploughed your car into the open door of someone else's stationary car and need to exchange addresses, NOW perhaps is not the time to be picky.  :headsmack: . In fairness, the other driver didn't do any damage to the pen. Unlike what I did to her car. :blush:

#34 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,951 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 17:23

I do a 'long' course when letting any one use my fountain pen. And put on my 'eagle' eye glasses to frown at them.

Now there is a great lie...memorize. "I can't let you use my fountain pen. It is very delicate.  It took ages for it to work into fitting my Hand. Any use by others will ruin it for months."

It is a lie used by generations of fountain pen users.

You know know what a Ham Fisted Ball Point Barbarian can do in only two lines. :unsure: You needed a nail nib... :yikes: If it was a nail.... :wallbash: There is no hope for your ex friend. He'd bend a hammer.

I use the second strategy with everyone.

I have always carried backup pencils and ballpoints as well as extra filler paper.

I started to lend the writing instruments and give away filler paper since I was in 5th grade.

It was the year I got my first steel bodied Waterman and second fountain pen, using the first one, a plastic shiny dark brown Stypen with a stylish similar to the Sheaffer No Nonsense, I as given the year before, as a backup.

Nobody was allowed to borrow my fountain pens, and those who came to class empty ended were politely but firmly asked to give the borrowed pencils and ballpoints back.

Today, the same principle apply.

I always encourage new fountain pen users to avoid lending their instruments, because most people do not know how to use a fountain pen properly; and would, most probably, damage the nib, ruining a perfectly wonderful writing experience.

Some people have cheap loaner(s) fountain pen, that is a great idea!

Edited by Anne-Sophie, 09 February 2016 - 17:40.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#35 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,896 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 19:05

Pearls before swine.

James

#36 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,066 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2016 - 22:24

I have an Estie with a  Medium Manifold nib (sorry, don't remember the number).  The thing is over 1mm thick.  As it was designed to fill out triplicate carbon paper forms, I reckon it's not too likely to take damage when lent.

#37 Don Zardeone

Don Zardeone

Flexing heavily to the right

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:54

Ball Point Barbarian 

Ball Point Barbarian. BPB. This is a new acronym from now on. I'm putting this straight into my notebook for further contemplation and internalisation. Thank :D

Something else. I'm becoming more grumpy as time goes by. Here's my current take on the issue:

If they don't have a pen to write what they need to write then that is the price they pay for not being prepared. I've never had to use someone else's pen. I've never had to rely on the kindness of strangers. I've always been the one people expect has his stuff together. This leads to an over-reliance on me and an under-reliance on their own efforts. >8[

In fact, all group activity, all social interaction and everything the human race does is an exercise in collective laziness. One guy ends up doing everything and when that guy makes even the tiniest of errors, everything is his fault. Therefore, I say, deal with it. >8[

I'm not going to lug around an extra 10 grams of ballpoint pen in my stuff in case someone else decided to not be prepared for what the universe throws at them. 

I say we all stop helping them out. Stop carrying extra pens for the slow ones. Let nature and survival of the fittest sort them out. <8]

You see...
When we stop bailing out the failers, they'll be allowed to truly fail. The strong ones will learn, the weak ones will be left behind to be devoured by the mountain lions. Actually I think they may both be devoured.... in any case, don't use my pen.

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[ I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

#38 Maurizio

Maurizio

scribex Catholicus

• Member - Gold

• 922 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2016 - 13:24

Depends on what kind of pen you carry.  If I've got something in my pocket with a steel nib that can be replaced without too much difficulty or expense -- say, Lamy Safari or Studio, or something that can accept a standard Jowo steel nib -- then I'll probably risk it.

If I have a Targa in my pocket, especially one with a gold nib, then. . .  No.

Don't have a Targa but have always admired them and a Parker Sonnet.

I too will share but only if I've got my Pilot Metro or my Ahab, or another inexpensive but quite well functioning pen, my XPen, with me. Otherwise I hand over a cheap Pilot ballpoint I keep in my bag to write on - believe it or not - carbon paper form orders I still have to write on when at work when I'm in Court.

Edited by Maurizio, 11 February 2016 - 22:53.

#39 Maurizio

Maurizio

scribex Catholicus

• Member - Gold

• 922 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2016 - 13:49

Ball Point Barbarian. BPB. This is a new acronym from now on. I'm putting this straight into my notebook for further contemplation and internalisation. Thank :D

Something else. I'm becoming more grumpy as time goes by. Here's my current take on the issue:

If they don't have a pen to write what they need to write then that is the price they pay for not being prepared. I've never had to use someone else's pen. I've never had to rely on the kindness of strangers. I've always been the one people expect has his stuff together. This leads to an over-reliance on me and an under-reliance on their own efforts. >8[

In fact, all group activity, all social interaction and everything the human race does is an exercise in collective laziness. One guy ends up doing everything and when that guy makes even the tiniest of errors, everything is his fault. Therefore, I say, deal with it. >8[

I'm not going to lug around an extra 10 grams of ballpoint pen in my stuff in case someone else decided to not be prepared for what the universe throws at them. 

I say we all stop helping them out. Stop carrying extra pens for the slow ones. Let nature and survival of the fittest sort them out. <8]

You see...
When we stop bailing out the failers, they'll be allowed to truly fail. The strong ones will learn, the weak ones will be left behind to be devoured by the mountain lions. Actually I think they may both be devoured.... in any case, don't use my pen.

Wow . . . Ayn Rand much?. This ain't the place for full blown political debates; but, I feel compelled to say that despite being a limited government and Constitutional conservative, we can sometimes bring some people around with a smile and a touch of kindness; as my Mama taught me: "you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar".

"The tree of liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots"
Thomas Jefferson

"Live free or die"
New Hampshire state motto

Edited by Maurizio, 11 February 2016 - 22:29.

#40 andyslo

andyslo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 19:24

I don't mind lending my pens out as they're usually inexpensive ones with stiff steel nibs, but people often demur. Of those who do accept, I've noticed that it's often a toss up whether they hold the pen the correct way with the nib up, or otherwise. To be honest, I don't understand why someone would think to grasp the pen feed up, or sideways etc. It seemed obvious to me right from the beginning that the shiny metal nib should face upwards. Any other configuration looks strange!

I have to agree. It seems they almost always have the nib facing the wrong way.  I did let a foster child, (actually a foster teen), try one of my fountain pens.  He pressed the nib so hard it bent perpendicular to the paper.  This was the first and only time anything like this has happened, and it was with my personal pen.  

However, we often donate fountain pens to foster children, and teach them to use them, and we also give the kids journals. The nibs are usually steel there has never been a problem except the one above mentioned.  I'll still let folks try them, but yes...a quick lesson...  

Freedom Exists by Virtue of Me Moderating You.

Sponsored Content

|