Never Let People Who Don't Use Fountain Pens, Use Your Fountain Pen

helm10101

My friend asked to write something, and I happen to had my fountain pen nearby. He only wrote about 1 or 2 lines, but now the nib is not smooth anymore, and the pen is not working like it used to, it's really scratchy now.

Also, you can see a lot of ink accumulate on the nib edge, suggesting that too much pressure may have been forced on the nib so that it created a gap at the center line.

So frustrating -_-.

Edited by helm10101

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• helm10101

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• Manalto

• Schadenfreude

I always let people who are unfamiliar with fountain pens try whatever pen I am using, but I also give them a short course on HOW to use a fountain pen. If they are not willing to wait until the short course is over then I simply say "Sorry."

You should never share your pen... its yours.

Learn one of the two: To say no or to carry a ballpoint with you.

You should never share your pen... its yours.

Learn one of the two: To say no or to carry a ballpoint with you.

Learned it the hard way,

It's my first fountain pen so I didn't know it could be damaged that easily.

Edited by helm10101

Depends on what kind of pen you carry. If I've got something in my pocket with a steel nib that can be replaced without too much difficulty or expense -- say, Lamy Safari or Studio, or something that can accept a standard Jowo steel nib -- then I'll probably risk it.

If I have a Targa in my pocket, especially one with a gold nib, then. . . No.

I don't mind lending my pens out as they're usually inexpensive ones with stiff steel nibs, but people often demur. Of those who do accept, I've noticed that it's often a toss up whether they hold the pen the correct way with the nib up, or otherwise. To be honest, I don't understand why someone would think to grasp the pen feed up, or sideways etc. It seemed obvious to me right from the beginning that the shiny metal nib should face upwards. Any other configuration looks strange!

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

I dont have any expensive FP. My top FP is only a Faber Castell Basic. I do let people try my FPs and I do carry a few with me most time. More than a couple of times I had passed on my FP to friends that are interested to use one. Always they would defray the cost of the FP. Often I carry a cheap Daiso FP already inked to give away to deserving friends too, it is a decent writer when inked with Pelikan Brilliant Black cart. My word to everyone of them is just not to press when writing.

I think I have converted a few to the pleasure of FP use. I suppose I would be more careful if I were using gold tipped stuff but that would not stop me letting others get a taste of it. It is like giving a pen more value.

The pen was "expensive" for my budget :lol:, and truly, the friend did write the wrong way with it, and I just knew it is going to end badly..

Now the pen makes cracking noises as the two nib edges ride one on top of the other as they have been badly damaged..

I can clearly see the edges have a big gap now as I write, and are no longer firm and perfectly aligned.

Edited by helm10101

Not sure what pen that is, or if you can easily remove the nib from it. If you can (or maybe even if you can't), it's probably not a difficult job to straighten it out. It's unlikely to be ruined, just needs re-tuning.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. What kind of pen is it? Also, it looks like there is something stuck in the tines. Maybe it just needs to be gently flossed?

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

Thank you guys!

It's a Pilot Cocoon.

What's stuck between the tines are some paper fibers, as I tried to follow some of these instructions:

http://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-fountain-pen-nibs-troubleshooting-tips-and-tricks/pt/777

And it caused some paper fiber to get caught.

But there are too many possible problems that my nib may suffer. So according to my uploaded photo, which of the instructions in the link above I should follow?

Edited by helm10101

But there are too many possible problems that my nib may suffer. So according to my uploaded photo, which of the instructions in the link above I should follow?

I would focus on the section where it says: "Check Tine Alignment". Basically you just need to nudge and gently bend the tines until they match side-by-side once again. If you have access to a jeweler's loupe, it would be very helpful to see which way they need to move, and verify when you've got them aligned.

If you get them aligned and find it's still not right, then you'll probably want to review some of the other sections on that page, such as "Check Nib Slit" and "Check Nib-Feed Alignment".

Buy a Pilot Varsity in Staples and let people borrow it. Who cares if they break the nib?

William

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

I do a 'long' course when letting any one use my fountain pen. And put on my 'eagle' eye glasses to frown at them.

Now there is a great lie...memorize. "I can't let you use my fountain pen. It is very delicate. It took ages for it to work into fitting my Hand. Any use by others will ruin it for months."

It is a lie used by generations of fountain pen users.

You know know what a Ham Fisted Ball Point Barbarian can do in only two lines. :unsure: You needed a nail nib... :yikes: If it was a nail.... :wallbash: There is no hope for your ex friend. He'd bend a hammer.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'm so sorry about your pen. Nibs can be repaired as others have posted. Good luck with yours.

I do let people borrow whatever pen I have with me, but I always just say, "Don't bear down as hard as you do with other pens," and so far, so good. I've never (yet) had anyone try to write with it upside down. Most people seem a little fascinated by them. None of my pens are real expensive. If I had a $300 pen, I'd probably not have it in my purse!

...Lamy Safari or Studio, or something that can accept a standard Jowo steel nib -- then I'll probably risk it.

[...]

I risked it--it wasn't worth it. Nib AND feed were ruined.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Generally, NO ! However, some people are irresistible.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Although in principle, I think that people should carry their own pens, and it's not my business to rectify their shortsightedness, it's not a perfect world, and it's just barely possible that I could get caught short myself some day. ;) So I generally have a ballpoint available to lend, and will usually lend it. If I'm out of ballpoints, they aren't getting one of my fountain pens. Maybe they'll remember to bring their own pen next time.

If it's someone who does have his own pen, but is curious about my fountain pens, and would like to learn more, I actually have no problem risking a reasonably good fountain pen, like my Lamy Safari, Pilot FP 78G, or Kaweco Sport. The thing is, that I almost never carry those with me (or keep them inked any more). I don't care to risk the nicer pens that I actually do carry around, and which suit me perfectly, so I've asked people to wait until the next time I see them, and I'll lend them a pen and some ink. I even tried to give away my Safari, but the friend who tried it didn't like it, and gave it back. :rolleyes: He hadn't ruined the nib, though.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I usually let people use my pelikan m200. Two weeks ago a guy asked to borrow my pen and instead of unscrewing the cap he pulled it off. Luckily the pen was not damaged, unfortunately I spoke without thinking and called the man an idiot in front of several other people. maybe I should get a wality to use as a loner pen.