Request For Fp Recommendations C. £100-150

evyxmsj

Hey all,

I'd like some suggestions for my next FP. My current budget is £100-150, and I am looking for something very smooth and reliable.

I don't have many criteria---but lean towards something lightweight but with a large diameter grip. Probably sticking with new pens rather than vintage at this stage. I'm not too fussed about filling mechanisms, as long as I can get converters if necessary. I suppose I need to like the look of it as well :D

I currently have a Pelikan M200, Lamy Safari, TWSBI Vac 700, Parker Vector, Kaweco Sport, Noodler's Ahab, and Cross Century.

Looking for recommendations based on personal experience.

Thanks loads!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• View from the Loft

• evyxmsj

• jar

• tonybelding

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd definitely recommend the Lamy 2000, which seems to tick all of your boxes. All I can see being a problem with this smooth, reliable and damned near bombproof piece of awesome is if you don't like the look of it.

Don't listen to any suggestions, instead go fondle a whole bunch of pens. Contact the London "The Hole" geek gathering and attend one of their meetings. Grab the East Midlands train and you can be there in an hour.

Good suggestions so far. Bexleys are dependable and easy to maintain, and the Lamy 2000 is about as well proven as pens get.

Vintage Sheaffer Targas are also robust and typically have better nibs than most new pens made today.

I like the Conklin Duragraph, which is a pretty big pen, but I hated the nib. Depending on who you get it from you can get a standard #6 nib to replace it, and inexpensively too. It was about a $65 investment to me, so I'm not sure what that translates to into in English currency, but it's under your budget I think

Platinum 3776 Century - under $100, great nibs, understated and classic and the great sealing cap.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

IMHO, the advice of jar is spot on!!

But.....sometimes this approach isn't practical for one reason or another....

In that case....ScienceChick's suggestion has merit....I just picked up a Century (Bourgogne) with UEF nib for US$80, shipped....from Amazon....

Good luck in your search!!

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

I would have to go for the Lamy 2000. Been using mine for two years now and it is always my daily writer, used more than all the others put together.

Only one snag. Since getting it I have no desire for more pens because I cannot believe anything will match it. No point in buying something only to find you already have better, so it may limit your collection.

What do you like or not like about what you have? I know most if not all are under the budget you have set for your next purchase, but that doesn't mean they can't assist in choosing something a step or two up price wise.

For example: your M200 - it's light - but do you want something with a larger diameter grip than it has? Or is it about the right size?

Other than asking/answering those types of questions - maybe about each pen you already have, I think jar's suggestion has a lot of merit.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Don't listen to any suggestions, instead go fondle a whole bunch of pens. Contact the London "The Hole" geek gathering and attend one of their meetings. Grab the East Midlands train and you can be there in an hour.

Good advice to play with pens. While we would welcome you with open arms at our gatherings in London, perhaps going to FG Thomas in Sheffield may be more convenient for you? Or visit a pen show

EASTERN PEN SHOW - Cambridge

Sunday 6th. March 2016

NORTHERN PEN SHOW - Chester

Sunday 17th. April 2016

MIDLAND PEN SHOW - Lichfield

Sunday 19th. June

Don't be afraid of vintage pens. Buy one that suits you from a reputable source, and you have purchased a wonderful tool. My pens are a 50/50 split vintage and new.

Thanks all for your great suggestions! I totally agree about gettng a chance to try them out first...but there's not much chance of me getting out far these days with a baby and a toddler who seems to be able to levitate when I'm not looking!

Having said that, it may be a little while before I can save enough pocket money / convince my wife to let me buy a pen so I may yet get a chance!

I like the pens suggested---it will be a difficult decision! In answer to your question: I like the weight of the M200, but I find it a bit too slim. My Ahab is probably the most comfortable to hold.

At least consider the Pilot Custom Heritage 92, a nice piston filler with a good selection of nibs. You could also think about the Custom 74 or the Custom Heritage 91, both of which take Pilot's high capacity CON-70 converter. I don't know about UK prices or availability; in the US the best deals on these tend to be from Japanese dealers on eBay or Amazon, and they would be within your price range.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

At least consider the Pilot Custom Heritage 92, a nice piston filler with a good selection of nibs. You could also think about the Custom 74 or the Custom Heritage 91, both of which take Pilot's high capacity CON-70 converter. I don't know about UK prices or availability; in the US the best deals on these tend to be from Japanese dealers on eBay or Amazon, and they would be within your price range.

Will second on that one. Pilot pens are great out of the box beside being robust and machined well

Thanks all for your great suggestions! I totally agree about gettng a chance to try them out first...but there's not much chance of me getting out far these days with a baby and a toddler who seems to be able to levitate when I'm not looking!

Having said that, it may be a little while before I can save enough pocket money / convince my wife to let me buy a pen so I may yet get a chance!

I like the pens suggested---it will be a difficult decision! In answer to your question: I like the weight of the M200, but I find it a bit too slim. My Ahab is probably the most comfortable to hold.

Hmm, if you like the M200 but it's just a bit too slim, you can rule out the M400 (same size). I have both the M200 and M600, and there is very little difference in weight between them, but the M600 is a bit fatter and longer. Have a look in the classifieds both here and on FP Geeks, and you may find one secondhand in your budget. Then if it doesn't suit, you can probably sell it on for the same price.

Good luck with the ankle biters; glad mine are past that phase.