Best Fountain Pen For Technical Use ?

Darktotor51

I all,

I create this topic to get your opinion about an engineer question.

I love fountain pen but this kind of writing instrument doesn't seem to match with a daily use un my technical job..

So,un your advice, can FP be user for technical job ? ( correct drawing, draw some simple système, making lines, report datas, taking note un warhouse ...)

Which one can be the perfect companion for this use ?

Cheers,

Edited by Darktotor51

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darktotor51

• proton007

• alexander_k

• Drone

I spent 25 years as a radio engineer, still do some work for a local AM. Log entries, note taking, all kinds of stuff at the station and out in the field at remote stations or translators. I find that the Pilot Capless (Vanishing points) are very handy because you don't need to take a cap off to write. As convenient as a ballpoint pen. For really fine lines or drawing schematics I would use on occasion use a vintage Rotring Rapiograph. Consistent line width, and you could use a drawing ink that wouldn't bleed through paper. Pick your line width.... a bit toothy on the very fine lines, but clean. You can out one of the modern ruby points in a vintage pen for durability.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I agree with Arkanabar, generally, but I've had couple of FPs that are fine (or extra fine), consistent and could be used against a ruler. One that comes to mind is a vintage Pilot EF, and I've used one of my 78Gs against a ruler, too.

Pilot falcon. Writes consistent fine line but capable of line width variation when needed. I believe this a common pen used by artists too for sketching.

Looks like this would be a good time to consider getting a Pelikan or Rotring Graphos.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

My Sailor ProGear EF with Sailor black ink writes amazingly like a Rapidograph, but better. No start up issues either

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I have a couple of Staedtler Mars 700 technical pens. A 4x0 (.18 mm) and a 3x0 (.10 mm)

I originally bought the 4x0 to make annotations on thin paper like in a Bible. That was in 1980. I got the 3x0 a couple of years back for $7 on ebay. Neither has seen much use recently. Both probably need to be cleaned up good.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

My sister uses Rotring technical pens. When Koh-I-Noor moved its manufacture to China, the drop in quality was so drastic that she was throwing them out after only a few weeks of use...the old ones used to last for years.

It's a drag, because she'll use nothing else. I'd love to find her a cache of vintage ones, but she uses the tiny end of the range and used ones won't do.

Am a Broadcast Tech (moving pictures rule) Staedtler Mars Tech pens for drawings need the consistent line width. For site logs etc fine nib fountain pen with either Sailor or Platinum Carbon Black.

I am a practicing EE. For mathematics I usually use a Pilot 743 with an FA (Falcon) nib. For drawing, lately I've been using a Pilot Metropolitan with F nib. I use the Metropolitan because it has a stiff steel nib and it is a cheap pen. You don't want to use a valuable pen with a gold nib when using the likes of scales, guides, or stencils to draw. The Lamy Safari or VIsta is also a good candidate for the same reason, plus the nibs are interchangeable and easy to replace. The TWSBI Eco would be the ideal drawing pen if the nibs were replaceable and the cap didn't keep popping off.

Pilot falcon. Writes consistent fine line but capable of line width variation when needed. I believe this a common pen used by artists too for sketching.

I'd go for a different Falcon, the one by Parker. With its unibody nib / section (see how things are never new?) and big, round tip it could be used on drawings but again the old technical pens are much better at that except for that the india ink often makes them poor starters.

@proton007 Wich pelikan are you telin about ? M m200 is way too large for technical comment (M gold nib)

Theyre vintage technical pens, but I doubt theyll suit your need, especially if you want a pen which can be used for writing too...

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I have a couple of Staedtler Mars 700 technical pens. A 4x0 (.18 mm) and a 3x0 (.10 mm)

I originally bought the 4x0 to make annotations on thin paper like in a Bible. That was in 1980. I got the 3x0 a couple of years back for $7 on ebay. Neither has seen much use recently. Both probably need to be cleaned up good.

Dear, I watched how those technical pens are filles and used. It's amazing. I'm new génération drawer, I never used drawing table more than 1 hour :D

I am a practicing EE. For mathematics I usually use a Pilot 743 with an FA (Falcon) nib. For drawing, lately I've been using a Pilot Metropolitan with F nib. I use the Metropolitan because it has a stiff steel nib and it is a cheap pen. You don't want to use a valuable pen with a gold nib when using the likes of scales, guides, or stencils to draw. The Lamy Safari or VIsta is also a good candidate for the same reason, plus the nibs are interchangeable and easy to replace. The TWSBI Eco would be the ideal drawing pen if the nibs were replaceable and the cap didn't keep popping off.

Okay, you're right. It's difficult to me to cet a pen for more than 100$... Un fact, I have some memory issues and I used to lose my pensée (only bic for thé moment) in the workshop...

Nevers tried safary even reviews are great nor twsbi which i'm afraid of cracking problèmes...

Dear, I watched how those technical pens are filles and used. It's amazing. I'm new génération drawer, I never used drawing table more than 1 hour :D

Actually I think if you're not really going to create technical drawings, then any FP would do just fine. Something with a more 'even' nib perhaps, with no variation in line width between horizontal and vertical strokes.

Just don't use a ruler with FPs, because sometimes they tend to smudge the ink especially if it's slow drying.

- Alan Watts

I spent 25 years as a radio engineer, still do some work for a local AM. Log entries, note taking, all kinds of stuff at the station and out in the field at remote stations or translators. I find that the Pilot Capless (Vanishing points) are very handy because you don't need to take a cap off to write. As convenient as a ballpoint pen. For really fine lines or drawing schematics I would use on occasion use a vintage Rotring Rapiograph. Consistent line width, and you could use a drawing ink that wouldn't bleed through paper. Pick your line width.... a bit toothy on the very fine lines, but clean. You can out one of the modern ruby points in a vintage pen for durability.

To be sincère, i created this topic to have that kind of comment about pilot VP or capless. This pen seems to be "the" usefull Every case writin' pen. This comfort my though !!! Thanks.

Did this pen follow you in every case ? How a about the service life of thé pen in an industrial cases ?