Ball End Clip

L.Velvet

Hello.

I want to make some pens for myself, and I have all the materials, but I cant find the kind of clips that I want, Pilot / Aurora styled ball end

clip

http://i.imgur.com/FsACwRc.jpg

Anyone knows where I can get them ? ( I ve browsed all the internet without finding something exactly like that ).

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• L.Velvet

• richardandtracy

• Prithwijit

• Nanor

Thank you very much. It could be a solution.

Is there anyone here who makes custom made clips ?

I can provide a sample. I have a clip of this style, but it has a Pilot imprint on it, and I do not want to use it as my project has nothing to do with Pilot.

Edited by L.Velvet

It is possible to make your own custom clips with a sheet of metal, a tiny (jeweller's) saw and a small file. It will take time.

Alternatively do the same with a piece of jeweller's wax (search for 'Ferris File-a-wax' - images here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=file-a-wax&biw=1425&bih=530&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimqYLzo8zKAhWHOBQKHccXADUQ_AUIBigB ) to make a wax model for a jeweller to make a cast from for you.

The final method that seems to work (which I am experimenting with) is to machine into wax, make a silicone rubber mould, then fill the mould with precious metal clay, and fire in a kiln at a temperature of around 820C. This means clay modelling techniques can be used to make metal components. That was the method I used to make this prototype bronze clip and decal (the next ones from the mould will use sterling silver clay):

fpn_1451839698__sdc14228a.jpg

The metal clay method has a serious disadvantage - you need a kiln. We bought one last year for my wife's PMC jewellery, otherwise it would have been an unjustifiable expense for making clips.

Pen manufacturers stamp clips out of sheet of metal with an arbour press, 6 Tonne load or greater. If you make the tooling for the shape you want, you are sure to find someone with a press (as it happens I have one on my patio.. long story, but it was being thrown out from where I work, and I got it for nothing, but have no space in my workshop for it, so there it sits until I can clear space).

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks to you all,

Unfortunately, I am a simple 24 old student in litterature with a job, without any particuliar skills for this kind of metal work :unsure:.

The closest thing I could find were vintage Parker style clips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Parker-Duofold-Senior-Fountain-Pen-Gold-Filled-Clip-PART-Ref-5036-/331765006661

I don't know if this is close to what you are wanting, as they have a lot of engraving on them. Best thing I can suggest is to periodically check Ebay. Happy hunting!

-John

I need at least 4 clips. Same new & unbranded .

I am a bit disapointed to not to find these because I was waiting for 5 years (sinsce i have suscribe to Fpn ) trying to find a way to make these pens. And now that I have all the materials, the pen blanks, the nibs , the clips are missing :( .

I need at least 4 clips. Same new & unbranded .

I am a bit disapointed to not to find these because I was waiting for 5 years (sinsce i have suscribe to Fpn ) trying to find a way to make these pens. And now that I have all the materials, the pen blanks, the nibs , the clips are missing :( .

Hi,

I am not sure who your penmaker is. They may have such ball clips in stock. Else lookup classicnib.com and get the clip you want. If you go via ASA, he has a few vintage brass ball clips in stack. Just lookup my review of ASA Azaadi for reference.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Hi Prithwijit,

I have already bought pens from Mr. Subramanian of Asa pens, and I have already contacted him, the clip that he has is a U type clip in chrome only. I have that clip on my Asa pen ( by the way I am really tempted by a Bheesma in ebonite, )

This a grail pen to me, I want everything to be perfect, that s why I am making 4 of them, one is for a friend of fpn , 3 others are for me as most of them as back up.

Hi Prithwijit,

I have already bought pens from Mr. Subramanian of Asa pens, and I have already contacted him, the clip that he has is a U type clip in chrome only. I have that clip on my Asa pen ( by the way I am really tempted by a Bheesma in ebonite, )

This a grail pen to me, I want everything to be perfect, that s why I am making 4 of them, one is for a friend of fpn , 3 others are for me as most of them as back up.

He has solid brass ball clips. I have used them.Not sure if he is willing to sell them though.

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

• 3 weeks later...