Same Color To Complete Page?

Charles Skinner

For you journal writers ---- Do you try to use the same color of ink to complete a page, or do you just change colors "as the spirit moves?" C. S.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Skinner

• Biber

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

I used to feel I had to use the same colour to complete the whole journal! Somewhere along the line I decided to try switching colours occasionally, and now I have very colourful journals. Mostly I switch colours daily, but on rare occasions I'll change even in the middle of the day.

This year I decided to keep my reading/film watching record in my main journal instead of keeping a separate one, and I've been writing the book titles & authors in a contrasting colour to whatever I'm writing around it, to make it easy to skim back through and find those quickly.

So if I write a lot on any given day, I may have a two-page spread all in one colour, but if I've only had time for quick entries and have finished a couple of books, or finished a book and watched a movie, I may have four colours on a single page.

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

Entire page in one color, or several different colors.

I change colors as I feel like doing so.

Sometimes the color change signifies a subject change, other times it is just because I want to use a different color.

It is YOUR journal, do what you want to do.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The last time I regularly did something like that, I had taken on a Lenten penance of only using black ink, except for markup.

And purple is not only one of my favorite colors, but also the liturgical color for Lent, so during Lent I have purple wallpaper, color schemes, and window decorations. (Yes, I try to match my computer's interface to the liturical color every day. It was easier with MATE than it is with KDE 4. But I wanted convergence of DE and distro between my desktop and laptop computers.) But during that Lent, my notebooks were almost entirely black. And I'm likely to do it again this year, in spite of the number of people who cautioned me against it, or wailed in horror at my determination.

Ash Wednesday is February 10. Only three days in Lent use white; only two days (Palm Sunday and Good Friday) use red; and Lataere Sunday uses rose. Guess how many of those colors I write with?

I just write "mind dumps". Therefore, when thinking something different, I change colors. Cuz who cares for paragraphs. Just a colorful A4 wall of text.

I mostly use a single color per day (3 pages). But, occasionally I run out of ink, so the entries on those occasions get finished out with whatever pen/ink combo my hand goes to next....

This morning was Diamine Shimmertastic Purple Pizazz, in a Parker Vector with a stubbed B nib; yesterday it was a Platinum Plaisir, M nib, and De Atramentis Robert Louis Stevenson. Tomorrow? Who knows....

Back when I only had one pen, a Parker Vector F nib (replacing a couple of Parker Reflex pens with M nibs, in succession), I also mostly had one ink -- Parker Permanent Blue (in cartridges). Much more fun to do a different color every day, but trying to do more than one color if I don't have to? Sometimes I'm not really awake as it is when I'm writing (it's a morning pages journal, so it's 3 pages first thing -- literally -- of what I refer to as my "daily core dump"; and I don't even get out of bed, just reach over and grab the current journal and whatever pen suits my fancy that morning).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My journal is a reflection of my life, no page is safe from introspection, doodles and reasonably safe experimentation.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/Journals/LUMA/20151219_020441.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My journal is where I rotate my pens, meaning one pen/ink per day in a regular order.

fpn_1453641324__img_1827.jpg

When I run out (as the Monochrome Project is still ongoing) that pen gets phased out of the rotation and the circle is one pen shorter. Ideally, I should only have two pens inked while the project is going on, my Koh-I-Noor Document Black-pen, and the Huntsman (to relieve the boredom with anything but black). But that isn't going so well currently.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

As the mood takes you. I used to think, one page, one ink. Once you break that mode of thinking, you'll feel so much better.

I'm another of the camp that grabs the first inked oen to hand, and continues with that colour until it is empty, when I grab the next inked pen from my current rotation. So that day's reflections could be one colour, or three colours. It depends.

I've had over 6 colors on a page. It depends on the mood. There is something about the mood you are in and the color you write with. Can't find it, but I've read it.

Peace and Understanding

I like to use a different ink for each individual entry but rarely find myself switching inks in the middle of an entry, maybe I'm just boring. I do like to note the pen and ink I'm using.

i usually write until the pen runs empty, then switch pens. if i'm lucky, it runs empty at the end of a page; if not so lucky, in mid-word.

or, sometimes, i refill that same pen; maybe with the same ink, maybe with a different one. last time this happened, it was in mid-sentence and i switched from scabiosa to salix. no big deal.

It's either a single pen and ink colour per page or a different pen and ink colour per paragraph. I hate having to re-ink the pen in mid-sentence, so when I see the first signs I put it aside immediately.

many colors of ink and pens per page

make doodles out of mistakes with lots of colors

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

I like emptying my pens by writing to the last drop, so I usually have to change inks in the middle of something. It looks ugly and I wish I could stop doing this. The ink starts fading and then there is a color change to something else that doesn't even look good together. :)

Edited by arcadeflow

I'll rotate through my pens inked up for the week. Each daily entry in the journal gets its own pen until that pen runs out of inks, then the next in the rotation steps up. I have a few pages where the pen runs dry and I move to the next. I'd rather keep up with my thoughts and words than spend too much time working through the colors.

Buzz