Bulb Syringe

GJMekenkamp

Hello!

I was wondering which bulb syringe in the following ebay-sale would be best for me to buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-60-90-120ml-Laboratory-Tool-Rubber-Suction-Ear-Washing-Syringe-Squeeze-Bulb-/131681712606?var=&hash=item1ea8d779de:m:muoCGMPAqMuI_198WJ_XOhw

Which is best for cleaning fountain pens? I mean, it seems like the more volume the bulb has, the bigger the opening.

Or do you have other suggestions which vendor on eBay sells the right syringe?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GJMekenkamp

• Ron Z

• Drone

• Ink Stained Wretch

I use a 30 ml syringe which is ample (holds as much as about 30 converters after all). And for pen purposes the openings are too narrow rather than too wide, so you'll have to cut the tips off anyway.

A bulb like the ones that you link to will work, though you end up cutting it shorter so that it fits over the threads or sac nipple on a section. The problem with them is that the grip isn't especially strong, so it is common to have an exciting moment where you are flushing the cleaning solution back out, usually over a cup or ultrasonic cleaning tank of dirty, inky water, and the section blows out of the bulb and splashes into the tank spraying the inky water all over the place, including your shirt and often all over your glasses.

I use a desoldering bulb. There are some on ebay priced between 4 and 7 dollars. Toss the teflon tip, and you're good to go. It stretches to fit over a section but is snug enough that the section won't blow out. I keep two in use - one that's worn so the hole is bigger for bigger sections, and a new one where the hole is still snug. Even with use day in and day out in the shop they last a couple of years before the hole gets to be too big.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I went down to a German pharmacy and got a baby ear syringe. Didn't have to cut it or anything, fits fine. You don't need a huge one, just keep filling it with water from the sink. Eventually use cleaner water 3-4 times.

That though is a lot cheaper than what I paid...but expect mine to last me decades, in it is high quality baby rubber.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The ones in the photo are lightweight bulbs. Mine is a heavier design. I trim the tip, in small increments, until the opening fits over the threaded section. I slowly force water through the section to flush it. I also place it over the nib end for "back-flush". I force a bulb, or two, of air from the thread end to dry the section. For a Parker 45, total time is 60 seconds.

fpn_1357109297__earbulbs.jpg

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I ended up with two, the one with the thinner neck works better with Lamy Safaris and looks like the one you're looking at, the other one works better with Watermans and Platinums.

fpn_1453863642__img_20160126_205615.jpg

Please excuse the pics from my phone!

Edited by pseudo88

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I just purchased one at Walgreens for about $5, and I had to laugh because this baby gadget was everything an eager beaver parent could want: BPA free, gluten free (which doesn't seem to apply); it can be sterilized in three different ways (microwave, boiling, and disinfectants). The piece de resistance, which might be handy for pen cleaning, is the unadvertised fact that a removable spout allows you to let the inside dry after cleaning, so that it doesn't get dank and smelly from residual moisture inside; it is also clear, so you can immediately see if it's overdue for a good cleaning! Honestly, I never thought I would find myself in the baby aisle again!

I tried it out this afternoon, and it did a great job coaxing ink through the nib that soaking alone didn't eliminate. I wish I hadn't already thrown away the packaging, or I would gladly share the name of the manufacturer. I imagine that every Wallgreens or Target would carry this snazzy snout sucker.

The ones in the photo are lightweight bulbs. Mine is a heavier design. I trim the tip, in small increments, until the opening fits over the threaded section. I slowly force water through the section to flush it. I also place it over the nib end for "back-flush". I force a bulb, or two, of air from the thread end to dry the section. For a Parker 45, total time is 60 seconds.

That's the same Parker pen I have. I thought mine was Parker I.M., but you have exactly the same design as my Parker IM.

But my Parker FP is actually a Parker 45?

Same nib, same everything.

I too use a baby ear syringe. I have several that I bought at the dollar store. Work perfectly.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

I find a 60ml/2oz bulb syringe very similar to the one you linked-to works best with most cartridge/converter-fill pens for cleaning. Specifically I like this one from Goulet Pens which is a tad over-priced (IMO) at $3.95 each, but the quality is good and it was simple to add to my shopping-cart when I was there buying some other stuff.

http://www.gouletpens.com/goulet-bulb-syringe/p/GPC-BulbSyringe

Bulb-syringes are inexpensive and available in multiple sizes. Buy one of each - you never know when a particular size will come in handy for a particular job :thumbup:

One more thing. Be careful with bulb-syringes when cleaning pens. If you insert the nipple into the section to force water through it, don't squeeze the bulb too hard. Too much pressure can actually blow the feed out which may take the nib right along with it - down the drain!

Edited by Drone

One more thing. Be careful with bulb-syringes when cleaning pens. If you insert the nipple into the section to force water through it, don't squeeze the bulb too hard. Too much pressure can actually blow the feed out which may take the nib right along with it - down the drain!

You make my point very well, which is why I use a desoldering bulb. Much less likely to happen.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

I do my cleaning over a 1 gallon tub. This way anything that falls off the pen does not go right down the drain.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Good idea!

I ordered a bulb syringe today, it is on its way to the Netherlands :)

I bought the 30ML one :)

Edited by GJMekenkamp

I do my cleaning over a 1 gallon tub. This way anything that falls off the pen does not go right down the drain.

Hardware stores, and maybe big box stores, have screens that fit into drain openings to catch things. They come in two or three different sizes. The screens are stainless steel, the mesh comparable to that found in window screens. I've had one in the sink in the shop for a number of years now - saved me many times!

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

For cleaning cartridge fountain pens I cut down a used cartridge and stick the tip of the bulb into that, and squeeze. it's a generally tighter fit than just putting the tip of the bulb on the cartridge-piercing nipple.

And I use a plastic tray, one of those ones that is made of thin plastic and which some folks serve food in, wrapped in something that keeps the food separated from the plastic. It's kept a lot of my stuff from going down the drain, and it's soft enough that nothing gets damaged when it hits the plastic bottom of the tray. Oh, maybe I should take a photograph of it.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

For cleaning cartridge fountain pens I cut down a used cartridge and stick the tip of the bulb into that, and squeeze. it's a generally tighter fit than just putting the tip of the bulb on the cartridge-piercing nipple.

And I use a plastic tray, one of those ones that is made of thin plastic and which some folks serve food in, wrapped in something that keeps the food separated from the plastic. It's kept a lot of my stuff from going down the drain, and it's soft enough that nothing gets damaged when it hits the plastic bottom of the tray. Oh, maybe I should take a photograph of it.

And here's a photograph of what I was talking about now.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/Ink_Stained_Wretch/tray_in_sink.jpg

This little arrangement has saved any number of dropped nibs and feeds from going down the drain. The only thing I've lost was a blunt needle and that was because I hadn't put the tray in the sink that time :doh: .

The tray also softens any falls that may happen while cleaning a pen part.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I use a regular 20ml syringe with "Luer lock"-style needle attachment. I've cut off the back end of a few empty cartridges and wrapped a layer of PVC tape around them for a tighter fit (at the end that goes into the syringe). I can just "screw" them into the Luer lock part of the syringe. Then I can connect it to the section of a pen, just like a cartridge, for a near perfect fit.

I made several cartridge "adapters" this way, so I can use it on several pens with proprietary cartridges too. And when not in use, I can store the "adapters" in the slots of the plunger, making it a nice compact unit to store and/or carry.

The "adapters" do wear out over time, International Standard cartridges last about 10-20 cleaning sessions, depending on the cartridge quality. Platinum lasts a bit longer 20-30 sessions. And I still have to wear out my first Pilot adapter :)

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

I use a regular 20ml syringe with "Luer lock"-style needle attachment. I've cut off the back end of a few empty cartridges and wrapped a layer of PVC tape around them for a tighter fit (at the end that goes into the syringe). I can just "screw" them into the Luer lock part of the syringe. Then I can connect it to the section of a pen, just like a cartridge, for a near perfect fit. :)

There are many types of "Luer Lock" hubs & adapters. One of them must be best for flushing c/c pens. See here for-example:

http://www.vitaneedle.com/luer-locks-adapters.htm

There are many types of "Luer Lock" hubs & adapters. One of them must be best for flushing c/c pens. See here for-example:

http://www.vitaneedle.com/luer-locks-adapters.htm

Why would I want to use any of those? I mean, if I can make a near perfect adapter from a spent cartridge and an inch or so of PVC tape with only an exacto blade for tooling and in less time than it would take me to Google for a supplier... :D

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072