Sheen Inks?

vxv

To the best of my understanding, the vast majority of inks cited for sheen have only water-soluble aniline dyes in them for color, not pigmented particles. J. Herbin's 1670 line and Diamine's Shimmertastics are the exception; they have what pepsiplease69 calls glitter. Sheen appears to happen because the dyes in an ink have varying levels of affinity for the solvent (water and surfactants), compared to the paper. Slower-drying papers appear to magnify these variations in solvent affinity.

Sailor Sei-boku, which is a nano pigmented ink, also sheens quite a lot.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vxv

• pepsiplease69

• haruka337

• AndyYNWA

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sailor Sei-boku, which is a nano pigmented ink, also sheens quite a lot.

is that because it's nano pigmented?

New to fountain pens, older to dip pens.

Well the black counterpart of Sei Boku ( ie Kiwa Guro ) dries to a matte finish. A frosted shiny surface ( if you can imagine it)

Some people call it a sheen but I'm real picky about what I'll consider as sheen. Sei Boku does have a decent amount of sheen though, I agree on that.

To the OP's original query, if you're looking for a crazy amount of sheen, look no further than Diamine Sargasso Sea.

Well... Probably not, I was just pointing out that pigmented inks can have nice sheen.

YNWA - JFT97

I dislike sheening inks. I think of sheening as a malfunction -- the ink is overly concentrated and not soaking into the paper as it should. Soon it'll start clogging up, I'm sure.

On the other hand, I love shading inks, but I have a friend who dislikes them and thinks of shading as a malfunction. . .

I like both sheen and shading, especially sheen. I think both shading and sheen is what make a text written by a fountain pen stand out from a text written with a rollerball etc.

But like pepsiplease69, I agree that a shading ink with low saturation just looks like the pen has been malfunctioning.

YNWA - JFT97

Well the black counterpart of Sei Boku ( ie Kiwa Guro ) dries to a matte finish. A frosted shiny surface ( if you can imagine it)

Some people call it a sheen but I'm real picky about what I'll consider as sheen. Sei Boku does have a decent amount of sheen though, I agree on that.

To the OP's original query, if you're looking for a crazy amount of sheen, look no further than Diamine Sargasso Sea.

i looked up sargasso sea and that's super sheeny. im planning to order a sample of it (or maybe just buy the 30 ml bottle because diamine is fairly cheap.) do you have any more recommendations?

i looked up sargasso sea and that's super sheeny. im planning to order a sample of it (or maybe just buy the 30 ml bottle because diamine is fairly cheap.) do you have any more recommendations?

Sargasso Sea flows really well, but it is very heavily saturated and I think a bit too close to clogging.

I've bought an 80 ml bottle of it but it's something I don't use regularly. I'd recommend either getting a sampler vial first or the 30ml bottle like you mentioned, to try it out.

Private Reserve Ebony Green is a very dark green, almost black and it displays a lot of sheen.

If you can get your hands on J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite, original formula, it was quite a gorgeous red ink with tons of gold sheen. But that one did have a lot of staining and clogging issues, hence the 2-3 reformulations that came after the original. I think what happened with Rouge Hematite, was that it was overrun by democracy. It was re-done so many times, because everybody chimed in with their opinion. They couldn't leave well-enough alone.

Other, more milder blues with sheen, that come to mind, are

Platinum Mix-Free Aurora Blue

Namiki Blue ( not the iroshizuku line )

Some more greens with sheen:

Iroshizuku Syo Ro

Sailor Tokiwa Matsu ( or Epinard, if you can get it, it's been discontinued )

Most of noodlers inks don't have any sheen at all.

Iroshizuku Yama Budo has a bit of a subtle sheen, but maybe if it sits in your pen for some time, and gets a chance to reduce down a bit and get sligtly more concentrated than what it is fresh out of the bottle, you'll get more sheen.

Rohrer & Klingner Cassia is another one that is a brilliant purple color which is reported to have a green sheen, like a peacock's feathers. It's gorgeous. But I've tried it out and found the sheen to be quite illusive.

Check out the following

http://www.gouletpens.com/is-rk40410050/p/IS-RK40410050

I've been on the quest for a black ink with a red sheen, but I've yet to find it.

Edit: Sailor Jentle Sky High is another awesome blue ink for sheen, it's been discontinued for the new version: Sailor Souten. That one is worth a try.

Edited by pepsiplease69

Hello there, chiming back in about Diamine Bilberry, you can dilute it and end up with a nice deep lavender purple but I think you sacrifice the sheen to do so. But truthfully I've never diluted it because I find it so lovely as it is.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

Hello there, chiming back in about Diamine Bilberry, you can dilute it and end up with a nice deep lavender purple but I think you sacrifice the sheen to do so. But truthfully I've never diluted it because I find it so lovely as it is.

i was just looking at that today! thank you. i really love diluting highly pigmented "dark" colors, dioxazine has to be one of my favorites. I'm so glad there's something like that in Fountain Pen Ink.

Here's a writing sample of Sargasso Sea

That's much lighter than I expected from the other pictures I saw(maybe the OP was layering ink). Thank you very much for the image!

Sargasso Sea flows really well, but it is very heavily saturated and I think a bit too close to clogging.

I've bought an 80 ml bottle of it but it's something I don't use regularly. I'd recommend either getting a sampler vial first or the 30ml bottle like you mentioned, to try it out.

Private Reserve Ebony Green is a very dark green, almost black and it displays a lot of sheen.

If you can get your hands on J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite, original formula, it was quite a gorgeous red ink with tons of gold sheen. But that one did have a lot of staining and clogging issues, hence the 2-3 reformulations that came after the original. I think what happened with Rouge Hematite, was that it was overrun by democracy. It was re-done so many times, because everybody chimed in with their opinion. They couldn't leave well-enough alone.

Other, more milder blues with sheen, that come to mind, are

Platinum Mix-Free Aurora Blue

Namiki Blue ( not the iroshizuku line )

Some more greens with sheen:

Iroshizuku Syo Ro

Sailor Tokiwa Matsu ( or Epinard, if you can get it, it's been discontinued )

Most of noodlers inks don't have any sheen at all.

Iroshizuku Yama Budo has a bit of a subtle sheen, but maybe if it sits in your pen for some time, and gets a chance to reduce down a bit and get sligtly more concentrated than what it is fresh out of the bottle, you'll get more sheen.

Rohrer & Klingner Cassia is another one that is a brilliant purple color which is reported to have a green sheen, like a peacock's feathers. It's gorgeous. But I've tried it out and found the sheen to be quite illusive.

Check out the following

http://www.gouletpens.com/is-rk40410050/p/IS-RK40410050

I've been on the quest for a black ink with a red sheen, but I've yet to find it.

Edit: Sailor Jentle Sky High is another awesome blue ink for sheen, it's been discontinued for the new version: Sailor Souten. That one is worth a try.

Hahaha, Pepsiplease, you really do bring something to the table.

"Platinum Mix-Free Aurora Blue"

Honestly, the idea that the Mix Free Inks would have sheen is odd. Isn't the purpose of them to make a lot of color combinations? Maybe Platinum didnt try it out on less absorbent paper.

The Cassia is so nice. I can't really see if it has sheen, but even if it didn't I would still buy it.

http://www.jetpens.com/J.-Herbin-1670-Anniversary-Fountain-Pen-Ink-50-ml-Bottle-Rouge-Hematite/pd/6598

is this the original formula or not?

Speaking of discontinued Sailor Inks, i've been trying to find something equivalent to the Ultramarine one (purple w/ gold sheen) all day. It's apparently $100+ (maybe i need to look harder.

Good luck with finding your black ink! Maybe it'll be a mix ;)

Edited by isoin

Recently, I stumbled across something called Emerald of Chivor by J. Herbin.

j-herbin-1670-emerald-of-chivor-review-1

media source: http://edjelley.com/2015/06/24/j-herbin-1670-emerald-of-chivor-ink-review-video/

Apparently this ink had a bluish base with a gold and red sheen (but seems to dry blue. correct me if im wrong about the drying)

I have never used any ink like this (but I have the Sakura Gelly Roll Dual Color, which performs the same)

http://56.media.tumblr.com/4a1b7c1c338b96a62e06398dbc2de56b/tumblr_o00tz27BCX1s6de78o1_1280.jpg

This image is Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji, which I didn't know had a sheen.

I'm curious about knowing how many of inks of this type are out there. If you know of a sheen ink, list it below!

If you have any of them, how do they perform? Do you have a favorite?

Wait...Sakura makes a Dual Color Gelly Roll?

Must. Have.

I love E of C. It's amazing in a fat, wet nib, even on somewhat ordinary paper. But you can make your own glitter fountain pen inks with artist,s pigments such as Pearl-Ex. Don't tell anyone, but I've even used gold eye shadow to very good effect.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Speaking of discontinued Sailor Inks, i've been trying to find something equivalent to the Ultramarine one (purple w/ gold sheen) all day. It's apparently $100+ (maybe i need to look harder.

Good luck with finding your black ink! Maybe it'll be a mix ;)

Sailor Nioi-Sumire is, if not identical, very similar.

YNWA - JFT97

Sailor Nioi-Sumire is, if not identical, very similar.

you are a lifesaver! thank you so much.

you are a lifesaver! thank you so much.

I loved the ultramarine, and that is correct, Nioi Sumire is the replacement for ultramarine. They are very very similar, I can't tell them apart from each other.

The biggest shock I got initially, was when I learned that sailor is killing that line. I was truly heartbroken for the Epinard, Ultramarine, and Sky High.

I was skeptical for a while about their replacements. But what sailor introduced in their place, Tokiwa-Matsu, Nioi-Sumire, and Souten, were all pretty darn the same inks, just with a different name essentially.

So I got off my high horse after a while and started using those as if nothing changed.

Incidentally, there was this tiny little problem of me running out and getting just an utterly obscene amounts of epinard, ultramarine, grenade, and sky-high. Now I have to work through that entire stockpile of ink, feeling safe in my mind that once (or even if ) I ever get through that much ink ( did I mention 9 bottles of sky-high ?) that I'll be able to switch to their new versions without ever noticing the difference.

I have seen sheen out of Blackstone Red Cashmere and on occasion in Levenger Pomegranate if memory serves correctly.

I have samples of all 10 of the Diamine Shimmertastics inks. The Golden Sands is particularly attractive as is the Blue Lightning. I didn't like Red Lustre as well.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Oddly enough, I love sheen but really dislike the Shimmering inks and the J Herbin shiny inks.

I won't say I dislike them because I haven't tried them, but the marketing of that group of inks also doesn't appeal to me (or more actively dis-appeals to me, to coin a phrase). I wonder if sheen would have the same effect on me if ink brands made it an active marketing point....

I loved the ultramarine, and that is correct, Nioi Sumire is the replacement for ultramarine. They are very very similar, I can't tell them apart from each other.

The biggest shock I got initially, was when I learned that sailor is killing that line. I was truly heartbroken for the Epinard, Ultramarine, and Sky High.

I was skeptical for a while about their replacements. But what sailor introduced in their place, Tokiwa-Matsu, Nioi-Sumire, and Souten, were all pretty darn the same inks, just with a different name essentially.

So I got off my high horse after a while and started using those as if nothing changed.

Incidentally, there was this tiny little problem of me running out and getting just an utterly obscene amounts of epinard, ultramarine, grenade, and sky-high. Now I have to work through that entire stockpile of ink, feeling safe in my mind that once (or even if ) I ever get through that much ink ( did I mention 9 bottles of sky-high ?) that I'll be able to switch to their new versions without ever noticing the difference.

thank you for the information! i was suggested a purple ink with a red sheen as a replacement but gold sheen was what i was looking for.

if you don't really mind switching from the ultramarine to nioi-sumire, the ultramarine sells for a very high price (120) if you want to sell a bottle or two.

Is it alright if i ask for a side by side sample of the ultramarine and nioi sumire?