Sheen Inks?

vxv

Recently, I stumbled across something called Emerald of Chivor by J. Herbin.

j-herbin-1670-emerald-of-chivor-review-1

media source: http://edjelley.com/2015/06/24/j-herbin-1670-emerald-of-chivor-ink-review-video/

Apparently this ink had a bluish base with a gold and red sheen (but seems to dry blue. correct me if im wrong about the drying)

I have never used any ink like this (but I have the Sakura Gelly Roll Dual Color, which performs the same)

http://56.media.tumblr.com/4a1b7c1c338b96a62e06398dbc2de56b/tumblr_o00tz27BCX1s6de78o1_1280.jpg

This image is Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji, which I didn't know had a sheen.

I'm curious about knowing how many of inks of this type are out there. If you know of a sheen ink, list it below!

If you have any of them, how do they perform? Do you have a favorite?

New to fountain pens, older to dip pens.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vxv

• pepsiplease69

• haruka337

• AndyYNWA

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off the top of my head,

Diamine Majestic blue

Diamine Bilberry

Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue

Iroshizuku Yama Budo

Iroshizuku Momiji

Sailor yama dori

And of course you've discovered Emeraud de Chivor. Yama Dori is similar but without the glitter which makes it more of an everyday ink for me. My personal favorite is Diamine Bilberry but because it's so saturated its a pain to clean out of some pens.

Anyway I like sheening inks, they are a good way to make your writing really pop off the page. Most of these have been reviewed on the website and you can find them if you search, there's also a great thread discussing sheening inks in depth if you are interested.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

I dislike sheening inks. I think of sheening as a malfunction -- the ink is overly concentrated and not soaking into the paper as it should. Soon it'll start clogging up, I'm sure.

On the other hand, I love shading inks, but I have a friend who dislikes them and thinks of shading as a malfunction. . .

I dislike sheening inks. I think of sheening as a malfunction -- the ink is overly concentrated and not soaking into the paper as it should. Soon it'll start clogging up, I'm sure.

On the other hand, I love shading inks, but I have a friend who dislikes them and thinks of shading as a malfunction. . .

Sheen is more of a product of paper used than ink. Well, part.

Lower quality paper, everyday paper (if you will) absorbs fountain pen ink quickly, which tends to cause feathering. Higher grade/weight paper, (depending on its finish) will absorb ink much slower, allowing time for ink to pool--think Tomoe paper. The pooling causes the sheen for many inks, but not all, however, it's no indication that it will clog a pen.

Is your friend a calligrapher? As I understand it, calligraphers consider shading as something to be avoided. Like you, I believe shading is a lovable quality in a ink!

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Recently, I stumbled across something called Emerald of Chivor by J. Herbin.

[image]

media source: http://edjelley.com/2015/06/24/j-herbin-1670-emerald-of-chivor-ink-review-video/

Apparently this ink had a bluish base with a gold and red sheen (but seems to dry blue. correct me if im wrong about the drying)

I have never used any ink like this (but I have the Sakura Gelly Roll Dual Color, which performs the same)

[image]

This image is Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji, which I didn't know had a sheen.

I'm curious about knowing how many of inks of this type are out there. If you know of a sheen ink, list it below!

If you have any of them, how do they perform? Do you have a favorite?

Chivor sheens red, but the gold is not sheen, but gold colored particles that may or may not clog your pen (depending on your pen hygiene).

Please keep in mind that paper is a huge factor in sheen for some inks will only sheen on certain paper.

Sheeny Inks:

Iroshizuku Yama-budo

Iroshizuku Momiji

(Many of the Iroshizuku inks sheen, some more than others--the ones noted sheen without effort.)

Sailor Jentle Four Seasons Yama-dori

Sailor Jentle Four Season Okuyama

Sailor Jentle Four Season Tokiwa-matsu

Sailor Jentle Four Season Souten

(All of the Sailor Jentle Four Seasons inks sheen, some more than others--the ones noted sheen without effort.)

Bung Box 4B

Bung Box First Love Sapphire

(Many of the Bung Box inks sheen, some more than others--the ones noted sheen without effort.)

Edelstein Amethyst 2015

Edelstein Topaz

Plenty more, but that's what comes to mind presently.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Off the top of my head,

Diamine Majestic blue

Diamine Bilberry

Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue

Iroshizuku Yama Budo

Iroshizuku Momiji

Sailor yama dori

And of course you've discovered Emeraud de Chivor. Yama Dori is similar but without the glitter which makes it more of an everyday ink for me. My personal favorite is Diamine Bilberry but because it's so saturated its a pain to clean out of some pens.

Anyway I like sheening inks, they are a good way to make your writing really pop off the page. Most of these have been reviewed on the website and you can find them if you search, there's also a great thread discussing sheening inks in depth if you are interested.

Oh, I had no idea diamine made sheen inks! Thanks for your input.

Th Diamine Bilberry looks so nice. Can it be diluted to be lighter or are Diamine Inks incapable of that?

With the right nib & paper combination, Sailor Jentle Tokiwa-Matsu is a dark green with a coppery sheen.

Right nib? I can understand why paper combination would affect it, but why the nib?

This is the thread for you! :)

Oooh, so many pretty inks! Thank you so much for recommending this lovely thread.

I agree with you about clogging being a concern, because from what I know the sheen particles (probably some sort of mica, which is used in pearlescent inks and paint) are larger than the particles in the rest of the ink and not ground as finely.

I dislike shading inks because I like being able to apply flat color, and if I need any shading I can go over (but I suppose it's because I use it for drawings), but I've considered them before.

Chivor sheens red, but the gold is not sheen, but gold colored particles that may or may not clog your pen (depending on your pen hygiene).

Please keep in mind that paper is a huge factor in sheen for some inks will only sheen on certain paper.

Sheeny Inks:

Iroshizuku Yama-budo

Iroshizuku Momiji

(Many of the Iroshizuku inks sheen, some more than others--the ones noted sheen without effort.)

Sailor Jentle Four Seasons Yama-dori

Sailor Jentle Four Season Okuyama

Sailor Jentle Four Season Tokiwa-matsu

Sailor Jentle Four Season Souten

(All of the Sailor Jentle Four Seasons inks sheen, some more than others--the ones noted sheen without effort.)

Bung Box 4B

Bung Box First Love Sapphire

(Many of the Bung Box inks sheen, some more than others--the ones noted sheen without effort.)

Edelstein Amethyst 2015

Edelstein Topaz

Plenty more, but that's what comes to mind presently.

I'm a little surprised, because I've seen all these inks (except bung box, never heard of that) on Jetpens and the way they present them they seem to have no sheen at all. I was planning to just use them as flat colors but I'm glad you told me they have sheen to them. example:

http://static1.jetpens.com/images/a/000/074/74606.jpg

Right nib? I can understand why paper combination would affect it, but why the nib?

I'm not an expert on it, but it seemed that you need to have a rather wet nib to supply enough ink, and fast enough in the stroke, for a bit of "pooling" to happen--at least that's how I interpreted what I was seeing. I've always been curious what actual components were causing it.

I'm a little surprised, because I've seen all these inks (except bung box, never heard of that) on Jetpens and the way they present them they seem to have no sheen at all. I was planning to just use them as flat colors but I'm glad you told me they have sheen to them. example:

Jet Pens, as well as most ink retailers, try to provide customers with an idea of what colors to expect--they do not provide for sheen.

The paper Jet Pens used does not appear to be conducive to sheen or the scan just did not pick up on it. I'm guessing it's the former. While they try to provide accurate color representation, it doesn't always work out. Sometimes the scan is off or monitors/screens display colors differently. Purchasing samples is always a good idea before committing to a bottle, or lots of digging through many reviews of a single ink.

As noted in the previous post, paper is an important factor in producing sheen. Absorbent paper rarely allows for sheen. Paper where ink dries a bit slower and pools easily (like on Rhodia), sheen may appear. Use medium and above nibs, you'll have a hard time producing sheen in fine nibs.

Bung Box inks are Japanese shop exclusives inks produced by Sailor for Bung Box (in Japan, Sailor makes exclusive ink lines for small pen and ink shops).

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I'm not an expert on it, but it seemed that you need to have a rather wet nib to supply enough ink, and fast enough in the stroke, for a bit of "pooling" to happen--at least that's how I interpreted what I was seeing. I've always been curious what actual components were causing it.

I was honestly planning on using a steel brush or a regular brush. I have the Dual Color Sakura Gelly Roll and the way I attempted laying down more of the sheen was by doing multiple layers, but I'm not sure how effective that was.

Jet Pens, as well as most ink retailers, try to provide customers with an idea of what colors to expect--they do not provide for sheen.

The paper Jet Pens used does not appear to be conducive to sheen or the scan just did not pick up on it. I'm guessing it's the former. While they try to provide accurate color representation, it doesn't always work out. Sometimes the scan is off or monitors/screens display colors differently. Purchasing samples is always a good idea before committing to a bottle, or lots of digging through many reviews of a single ink.

As noted in the previous post, paper is an important factor in producing sheen. Absorbent paper rarely allows for sheen. Paper where ink dries a bit slower and pools easily (like on Rhodia), sheen may appear. Use medium and above nibs, you'll have a hard time producing sheen in fine nibs.

Bung Box inks are Japanese shop exclusives inks produced by Sailor for Bung Box (in Japan, Sailor makes exclusive ink lines for small pen and ink shops).

When you mentioned non absorbent, pooling paper, the first thing I had in mine was alcohol marker paper/marker paper:

excerpts (full review: http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/2008/07/alcohol-marker-papers.html) (page also has links to certain marker papers)

"What this means is that ink is floating on the surface, unlike matte cardstock where we want the ink to soak the whole paper"

"If you start heavily layering colors onto marker paper it really has no-where to go, so it streaks and pools"

"Since marker papers are coated the ink has less to soak into and will get picked up and smeared around much easier."

A testament to how varied the preferences can be for particular qualities of ink.

I'm the exact opposite. I love the sheen quality of inks. It gives your writing a unique 3 dimensionality.

Although clogging is not very far away on oversaturated inks, there are plenty of lovely sheeny inks out there which are quite well behaved and don't clog. Iroshizuku and sailor have a wealth of these types of inks.

As much as folks regard and value the shading in inks. I'm not a huge fan of it. To me a shading ink feels watery, diluted and weak. But a lot of people love the shading because it gives your writing a unique look.

I'd also like to mention here that sheen and glitter are two different things. Emerald of Chivor has both. But sheen appears when ink crystallizes in an optically special way at the surface of the paper.

Glitter is just glitter. To me its a bit too Las Vegas ( sorry Las Vegas)

To the best of my understanding, the vast majority of inks cited for sheen have only water-soluble aniline dyes in them for color, not pigmented particles. J. Herbin's 1670 line and Diamine's Shimmertastics are the exception; they have what pepsiplease69 calls glitter. Sheen appears to happen because the dyes in an ink have varying levels of affinity for the solvent (water and surfactants), compared to the paper. Slower-drying papers appear to magnify these variations in solvent affinity.

Edited by Arkanabar