The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Odd Ink Sniffer...

ink smell noodlers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gamingoodz

gamingoodz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 00:51

So I am just sitting here working on some math for college pondering over the fact that I just turned 30 and wondering where the last few years of my life went.. 

As I'm writing with Noodler's Black ink I catch of whiff of the inks aroma and Its a familiar pleasant smell lol.. I don't know what it is but I just really like the smell of Noodler's black ink. It's like when I'm writing with it I can't help lifting my pen to my nose to smell it.. 

Really weird..I know.

But now I'm wondering if anyone has any inks that they just really like the smell of? Or am I just a complete weirdo..(Don't answer that lol) 

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

Nathaniel Branden

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:17

I have some scented inks from that I like to smell. One is cinnamon and the other is whiskey. Regular ink is not an enticing to me, but I do smell it once and a while, partly to make sure it has not gotten any mold or turned into something untrustworthy.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#3 musicman123

musicman123

The Sciency, Music Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:30

I really enjoy Noodler's Dragon's Napalm for some strange reason. It's a bit fruity and sweet. 

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

#4 Danny Kaffee

Danny Kaffee

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:14

The only ink I have with a distinct odor is Diamine Sargasso Sea.  It has a slightly funky smell.  Like the sea.  LOL

It's a good thing though because when diluted it has the same look as Iroshizuku Asa-gao.  When I've forgotten which I have inked in a pen one whiff and I know which it is.

So yes, I do sniff my ink (sometimes).

Edited by Danny Kaffee, 25 January 2016 - 02:16.

#5 IrishEyes

IrishEyes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:43

OP, you said I shouldn't answer that question about "weird", so I won't :-). Really, though, I do not sniff ink. I don't have any inks with an aroma strong enough for me to smell it over a house full of toy breed dogs. Too bad, sometimes! :-p I love the smells of honey, cinnamon, and vanilla. I'd enjoy smelling THOSE scents while writing :-).

"In the end, only kindness matters."

#6 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:57

Noodler's Texas Bluebonnet.  Don't know the smell, but I almost always have a pen loaded and with me with this ink.

Peace and Understanding

#7 gamingoodz

gamingoodz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:16

OP, you said I shouldn't answer that question about "weird", so I won't :-). Really, though, I do not sniff ink. I don't have any inks with an aroma strong enough for me to smell it over a house full of toy breed dogs. Too bad, sometimes! :-p I love the smells of honey, cinnamon, and vanilla. I'd enjoy smelling THOSE scents while writing :-).

Haha Well I don't go out of my way to run around sniffing inks. But for some reason when I write with noodler's black it has a distinct smell to it that I kind of like. For me its like "the scent of fountain pens" lol . Its not really strong but it has a distinct smell that just represents fountain pens to me, when I think of fountain pens that smell pops into my head. While I'm writing sometimes I will lift the pen up and smell it but its not like I'm a huffing ink or anything haha. 

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

Nathaniel Branden

#8 Witsius

Witsius

I was told there would be cake.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:41

So I am just sitting here working on some math for college pondering over the fact that I just turned 30 and wondering where the last few years of my life went.. 

As I'm writing with Noodler's Black ink I catch of whiff of the inks aroma and Its a familiar pleasant smell lol.. I don't know what it is but I just really like the smell of Noodler's black ink. It's like when I'm writing with it I can't help lifting my pen to my nose to smell it.. 

Really weird..I know.

But now I'm wondering if anyone has any inks that they just really like the smell of? Or am I just a complete weirdo..(Don't answer that lol) 

The smell of Noodler's Black reminds me of the smell of india ink, which I remember from my days as an art student.  It's been a couple of decades since I've actually used or smelled india ink, but for some reason, Noodler's Black reminds me of it.  To me it just smells like what I'd expect ink to smell like.  

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.  Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

#9 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,943 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:07

Not sure I have ever really done much ink sniffing, but when I first got my resin Noodler's Konrad (Red Mesa Tortoise), I had heard how bad the smell was. I actually thought it was quite pleasant and not overly strong. While I don't do it anymore, the last time I did that smell was long gone. Sort of reminded me of "new car smell", but different.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#10 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:22

I like any ink with phenol in it.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

#11 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:44

I like the Sailor phenol smell... Someone make a perfume of it?

#12 Almu

Almu

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:53

I like the smell of Rohrer & Klingner Salix and Scabiosa... I sniff the ink each time I fill a pen with either one of them. 

#13 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:46

I also like the minty smell of KWZI IG Gold.

#14 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:58

Noodler's is known for having odd smells.  None of my PR inks have an odor.

Peace and Understanding

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, smell, noodlers

Sponsored Content

|